The Student Room Group

Is someone having mental health issues in the past a dealbreaker for a lot of people?

Hi all. I here a lot that someone having mental health issues, whether it be current or in the past is, is a deal breaker. For myself both anorexia and bulimia consumed a lot of my late teens and early 20s but I've now been recovered for over 5 years with no relapse and I am now in my second year of dentistry.

What do you think? Please discuss.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all. I here a lot that someone having mental health issues, whether it be current or in the past is, is a deal breaker. For myself both anorexia and bulimia consumed a lot of my late teens and early 20s but I've now been recovered for over 5 years with no relapse and I am now in my second year of dentistry.

What do you think? Please discuss.

If someone had past mental health issues I wouldn't care, they could help me when I go all crazy on them :biggrin: If you haven't been suffering from anorexia or bulimia for over 5 years, how are they even going to find out? They'll only find out if you tell them and if it isn't a problem then you wont need to tell them.
5 years recovery is really great, huge well done to you! :five:

I think for a lot of people present mental illness would be a dealbreaker, but I don't really see why people would care if someone is recovered. Especially for such a long time as yourself.

FWIW I have schizoaffective disorder and am married. My wife is generally pretty understanding and has never known me without mental illness. She's really fantastic on that front. I know I'm difficult sometimes but I think she proves that not everyone will immediately be put off even by current MH issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending