The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS Results: What Does This Mean for My Future?

Hi all,

I got ABCD in economics, maths, physics and ICT respectively at AS level. I am a bit disappointed as I was aiming for at least AABB. It's not exactly a disaster, but I feel that my options are more limited.

I'm interested in doing engineering or physics at uni. Recently, I've become more interested in aerospace. However, it's likely that I'll fall short of getting offers from top unis in this. I also wonder whether I'm good enough to do aerospace as maths doesn't come to me as naturally as I'd like.

I'm not really too sure about other engineering disiplines. Mechanical and civil may be options, but they don't excite me anywhere near as much as aerospace. Not so sure about where I might get with physics either. My ambition is to work at the pinnacle of technology, maybe somewhere like NASA, SpaceX, CERN or Formula One. Maybe I'm a bit over-ambitious thinking about this, but I'd really like to get there.

Given my ambitions, aerospace seems the logical choice, but have a blown the chance to get into a top uni? Realistically, I'm looking at AAB next year. I'm going to really push hard next year until I'm getting 100% on every paper, but I do tend to underperform in the exams. I feel that I have the ability within me to get A*s, but I doubt that I'll perform well enough.

What courses should I apply for? If I do nail the exams, what are the chances of getting somewhere better in adjustment?

I also intend to pick up AS further maths, do you think that doing this will harm my other grades?
Reply 1
Those grades are still very good and I'm not saying this to make you feel better, but as a fact.You can still apply to engineering and physics courses offering AAB+ (e.g. Cardiff, sheffield, liverpool) with those grades, and is certainly isn't the end of the world.

If you do better, then you can use adjustment to get to get into a uni that has a higher entry requirement. If you do worse then you can take a gap year and repeat or take the foundation year, or even an apprenticeships in aerospace engineering
(edited 8 years ago)
those aren't bad at all. Of course you'll get offers
Those aren't bad grades lmfao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks guys. Didn't say that they were bad grades, just could have been a bit better. You can tell that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. :tongue:

I'm considering resitting a unit in both maths and physics to bring them both up a grade at AS. Is there still a chance to get predicted an A in physics, or is that a long shot?

Thanks for the suggestions, kkboyk. I hear that Sheffield is pretty good for engineering, am I right? Visited Liverpool and didn't really like it.

Also, does anyone have advice on how difficult the maths is in aerospace? Do you need a very strong maths ability, or can you get there through hard work if you're less able?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MatOnMotors

I'm considering resitting a unit in both maths and physics to bring them both up a grade at AS. Is there still a chance to get predicted an A in physics, or is that a long shot?

Thanks for the suggestions, kkboyk. I hear that Sheffield is pretty good for engineering, am I right? Visited Liverpool and didn't really like it.

Also, does anyone have advice on how difficult the maths is in aerospace? Do you need a very strong maths ability, or can you get there through hard work if you're less able?

You'll have to talk with your teachers about predicted grades.

Sheffield is quite good for engineering, and does offer a lot of opportunities. You honestly don't need to be gifted in maths to be an engineer, and even for a maths degree. What you will mostly learn for maths is calculus, dynamics and a lot of classical mechanics. The content won't be insanely difficult, but it will be a bit challenging to get your head around without so you will have to work hard.
Still good grades. I mean Oxbridge/imperial is probably not possible but you are still good for other fantastic unis, like sheffield. Be happy with them :smile:
Reply 7
If those are disappointing grades then there's not even a word for what I got at AS!
Reply 8
Original post by `Jts
If those are disappointing grades then there's not even a word for what I got at AS!

Sorry, maybe disappointing wasn't the perfect word to use. Good luck for next year! :smile:

Thanks guys. I've always looked too much towards the best courses without being realistic enough. I've been interested by Southampton, Bath and Bristol. Don't think that I can really get offers from any of them.

Can anyone suggest more places aside from Sheffield? Thanks :smile:
Well done on your results. I know what you mean about perfectionism, but congratulations on what looks like a strong set of AS levels.

Universities admit based on a combination of previously earned grades, predicted grades, the PS, and then potentially an interview. If you are able to bring your predicted grades up as high as possible (AAB is very strong!) then unis will be inclined to take you.

Although imperial is likely to be even more difficult, other Russell group unis are still open to you with engineering courses that are still as good, simply with less recognition.

But should all else fail, because of the nature of work you are doing, an apprenticeship could be more beneficial. Though there is a negative stigma against it, it can help you get into the field you wish to go into immediately, and many employers also subsidise university tuition for employees they see with potential to advance. So ignore the stigma and do consider it.

I hope everything works out for you, but above all try not to worry :smile:

RWB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by MatOnMotors
Sorry, maybe disappointing wasn't the perfect word to use. Good luck for next year! :smile:

Thanks guys. I've always looked too much towards the best courses without being realistic enough. I've been interested by Southampton, Bath and Bristol. Don't think that I can really get offers from any of them.

Can anyone suggest more places aside from Sheffield? Thanks :smile:

Ahaha it was 2 years ago. I'm starting university in September. :smile:

As for some other places to do Aerospace, I would check out: Cardiff, Loughborough, Nottingham, Manchester, Leicester and Swansea.

Quick Reply

Latest