The Student Room Group

I honestly dont know what to do anymore..

I never ever imagined myself to get BBC in AQA chem, maths and bio. I lost both my firm and insurance choices. None of the clearing unis are Russell group or close to my house and i am not allowed to move out either. I went thru clearing either way but i am abroad now and gonna be until 24th and theres almost no way to call me by phone here. Idk what to do im so ashamed i cant look at my parents, all my relatives are calling me to get my results to bully my left right centre. i honestly dont know what to do.. all my frnds did well and i have no unis to go to, dont have the grades, no future plans or whatsoever.. i might as well just travel to Japan and live my life as a monk

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry to hear that your results didn't turn out the way you expected :frown: There's no rush to go to uni this year. Have you considered taking a gap year? It may give you the time you need to think and plan your life out. If you're still keen on going this year, here is a comprehensive guide to Clearing with FAQ's that might prove helpful. What course did you apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm sorry to hear that your results didn't turn out the way you expected :frown: There's no rush to go to uni this year. Have you considered taking a gap year? It may give you the time you need to think and plan your life out. If you're still keen on going this year, here is a comprehensive guide to Clearing with FAQ's that might prove helpful. What course did you apply for?

Neuroscience at UCL
Original post by iamdrxgon
I never ever imagined myself to get BBC in AQA chem, maths and bio. I lost both my firm and insurance choices. None of the clearing unis are Russell group or close to my house and i am not allowed to move out either. I went thru clearing either way but i am abroad now and gonna be until 24th and theres almost no way to call me by phone here. Idk what to do im so ashamed i cant look at my parents, all my relatives are calling me to get my results to bully my left right centre. i honestly dont know what to do.. all my frnds did well and i have no unis to go to, dont have the grades, no future plans or whatsoever.. i might as well just travel to Japan and live my life as a monk

Sorry to hear you didn't receive the grades you were hoping for. Have you considered coming to the University of Winchester? Not sure what course you're interested in but you can talk to our Clearing team on our website's Live Chat so no need to have a phone call, which might make things a bit easier.

Whatever you decide, I hope things work out for you.
Neuroscience at UCL

Here's a guide for what you can do for your next steps. Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have :smile:
if it makes u feel any better my firm was kcl and i just got rejected right now too i got bbc as well even though i was predicted aaa😭 i really don't understand how i just missed the grade boundaries but i just keep thinking in 10 years i won't care as much as i do now. i'm planning to retake one year isn't that long and i don't want to have bad grades for the rest of my life and think about it and get sad. i haven't told my family yet either lol i'm done for
Reply 6
Original post by University of Winchester
Sorry to hear you didn't receive the grades you were hoping for. Have you considered coming to the University of Winchester? Not sure what course you're interested in but you can talk to our Clearing team on our website's Live Chat so no need to have a phone call, which might make things a bit easier.

Whatever you decide, I hope things work out for you.

Any neuroscience, med related, pharmacology related degrees?
Reply 7
Take a year out and retake the A levels next year, then apply through clearing next summer. You will definitely do better next year now that you know how it all works and with extra time to prepare.
Reply 8
Original post by starrrrlight99
if it makes u feel any better my firm was kcl and i just got rejected right now too i got bbc as well even though i was predicted aaa😭 i really don't understand how i just missed the grade boundaries but i just keep thinking in 10 years i won't care as much as i do now. i'm planning to retake one year isn't that long and i don't want to have bad grades for the rest of my life and think about it and get sad. i haven't told my family yet either lol i'm done for

Retaking exams.. hmm I thought of it too but i honestly dont know whether it will make any difference.. for me ofc.. questions like what if i fail for the second time too or what if the grade boundaries are even higher

Hi @iamdrxgon,

So sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted.

I think the two best options for yourself would be:
Go through clearing if possible and see what is available whether its the course you want or a course similar that you would be happy to go into.
The other option would be to have a gap year and figure out what you would want do and maybe plan a bit ahead.

If you are wanting to do clearing these are the courses available at Edge Hill in which you can either phone however as I can tell you are having issues with this so it may be best to complete the clearing form.

I hope all goes well and you figure out what you wish to do.

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
@iamdrxgon

Don't panic!

Your grades are not awful! You have not got into your chosen universities but that doesn't mean that you will not get into a good university which does your course or something similar.

Talk to to your parents. They might be willing to let you move out if the options available to you are not as good as those around you.

Russell Group universities have a great reputation but that does not mean that other universities are not good. Remember it's about the course, how well it is assessed and how well you do.

If you have good access to the Internet perhaps you can arrange Zoom calls or use Skype to get in contact with respective universities.

You have worked hard! There is nothing to feel bad about!

People like to compare people with others, but everyone is a unique individual. There are no fair comparisons!

You have options. You can take a gap year if you want to, you can look at apprenticeships or use clearing.

The main thing to remember is that A' levels are not the be-all and end-all. They help but they do not determine your future!

Be positive,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way.
I know it seems hard but try to not put yourself down, you still have options. Many universities are taking applications online, so start by making a list of all the ones you want to contact and have all your information to hand. You could also think about taking a year out and resitting. What course/subject area are you interested in?

Hey @iamdrxgon

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way, but please remember grades don't define your future, you should still be so proud of your results, your hard work and dedication. Take a deep breath, talk to someone you trust about how you're feeling (a friend, teacher, counsellor) and lean on them for emotional support and advice.

I know you're abroad right now, but can you still try reach out to universities through email or their online clearing systems if you can't ring them? Like others have said below you could try reaching out through live chat.

You always have other options as well, vocational courses, apprenticeships, taking a gap year to revaluate your options.

It's so easy to be hard on yourself during difficult times, but taking care of your mental health and wellbeing is so important, and you have to remember you are not alone during this period. It's so common to face unexpected challenges, but believe that you have what it takes to overcome them and embrace all the possibilities that lie ahead.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Becky
Retaking exams.. hmm I thought of it too but i honestly dont know whether it will make any difference.. for me ofc.. questions like what if i fail for the second time too or what if the grade boundaries are even higher

I would either find something in clearing or retake if you really want to. But once you start a course you will make friends and get on with it, you will completely forget about missing out.
Any neuroscience, med related, pharmacology related degrees?

Our closest matches would be Nursing (Adult, Child, Mental Health, Learning Differences) or Physiotherapy for entry this September. Happy to give you more info if any of those are of interest? :smile:
Sorry to hear that you are feeling disappointed. It can be disheartening when you don't get the grades you hoped for. Your grades are a great achievement and although you may not feel it now, you should be proud of yourself :smile:

Have you considered the University of Suffolk? You can apply through clearing online if that would be helpful at all?https://www.uos.ac.uk/clearing

We would love to hear from you.

Best of luck!
Scarlett
Original post by starrrrlight99

@starrrrlight99

Well done on your results! I know at the moment you must feel frustrated because you were predicted AAA but you are right when you say that in 10 years time you will most probably not care the way that you do now. All being well, by then you will have a degree, maybe a Masters and be working in a fulfilling role with a good salary.

All is not lost!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 18

That sucks. But you got to think straight and not let it get you down. Think "what can I do now?" and not "I am such a failure". do you want to take a gap year and gete some work experience. do you want to re sit your exams and get better grades. do you want to do a course that you might not even enjoy. do you want to apply for apprentiships in accounting or some other industry. these are some option. i know you will be feeling down but you got to think ab ur options now. maybe take a while to urself to think, dont listen too much to what your parents say, its down to you. dont let ur life take control of you, you take control of ur life.
Reply 19
i might as well just travel to Japan and live my life as a monk

Well - that's one option! :smile:

Number 1 - don't be ashamed. You have nothing to be ashamed of. What is done is done and there is no point in dwelling on the "what might have happened".
Number 2 - ok - so the choices you thought you had are no longer on the table but that doesn't mean you have no choices. You just have different choices. I would suggest that it was poor timing for either you or your parents to take you out of the country at such an important time but again, there is nothing you can do about that either.

So what are your choices?

Well, shock horror, you don't have to go to university this year. You could get a job. You could go and volunteer. You could travel. You could go an be a monk in Japan. Either way, take some time out to regroup, get over the immediate emotional situation you are in now (it will fade - trust me) and then decide what the next step is. And whilst you are thinking about the future, have a thing what your ultimate goal is. Going to a Russel Group university isn't all it is cracked up to be. In fact, my wife recently sacked off Manchester Uni in favour of MMU simply because all Manchester seemed to do in her interviews was dine out on 1824 and their red brick status, where as MMU was all about the student experience and what they do to support their students.

So life is not over. You simply have some different choices from what you thought you had and if going to a Russel Group university because it will make your parents happy is the only thing that matters then so be it but remember - it is you only you who has to live your life, not your parents.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending