The Student Room Group

I think I am getting a third

I got a third and its making me feel awful. My results haven't come out yet but after calculating myself i would be 2 marks off a 2:2. I had a poor year last year and my dissertation was a massive failure because I wasn't able to choose my topic. Luckily I lined up a job before graduating and they don't care about the class. It bothers me though. If i go for a pgce I wouldn't be able to get bursary all because of 2 marks. I'm disappointed but at least I got it. I just wish i could go back to last year and choose a diss topic i actually was interested in.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by samptgsk
I got a third and its making me feel awful. My results haven't come out yet but after calculating myself i would be 2 marks off a 2:2. I had a poor year last year and my dissertation was a massive failure because I wasn't able to choose my topic. Luckily I lined up a job before graduating and they don't care about the class. It bothers me though. If i go for a pgce I wouldn't be able to get bursary all because of 2 marks. I'm disappointed but at least I got it. I just wish i could go back to last year and choose a diss topic i actually was interested in.

Well here, there's always a chance you've counted wrong and that a 2:2 is possible! And if you're really worried about it, contact your lecturers to see if anything can be done to bring up the marks you have (extra work or the like).

Best of luck, though!
Reply 2
How did you calculate it? Does your university have a classification calculator that tells you, or did you just add it up yourself?

I don't know what university you're at, but a lot of them have incredibly odd systems for calculating degrees, where some modules are weighted differently depending on which year you did them, some modules won't count at all, and some carry more weight despite supposedly having the same credit value as others. Some universities take the mean average of your module results (after weighting), and some take the median, which can produce two different results if you're borderline. Unless you have actually used the university's own algorithm, I wouldn't bank on anything yet.

If you're very borderline, you may also be given something called a discretionary mark. This is more common on the 2:1/First border, where if you got, say, 68% or 69%, but achieved a first in a certain percentage of the core modules (again, determined by the universities weighting algorithm), they will give you a First, even though you technically get a 2:1. This can happen at any border, though, so you could be in line for a discretionary 2:2.

Just don't even think about the mark until you have the actual results.
Reply 3
Original post by fedora34
How did you calculate it? Does your university have a classification calculator that tells you, or did you just add it up yourself?

I don't know what university you're at, but a lot of them have incredibly odd systems for calculating degrees, where some modules are weighted differently depending on which year you did them, some modules won't count at all, and some carry more weight despite supposedly having the same credit value as others. Some universities take the mean average of your module results (after weighting), and some take the median, which can produce two different results if you're borderline. Unless you have actually used the university's own algorithm, I wouldn't bank on anything yet.

If you're very borderline, you may also be given something called a discretionary mark. This is more common on the 2:1/First border, where if you got, say, 68% or 69%, but achieved a first in a certain percentage of the core modules (again, determined by the universities weighting algorithm), they will give you a First, even though you technically get a 2:1. This can happen at any border, though, so you could be in line for a discretionary 2:2.

Just don't even think about the mark until you have the actual results.

There is a policy on my uni website that shows how the grades are calculated so i used that. And I hope theyre willing to give me a discretionary mark. Getting a 2:2 isn't the best but would make me feel better, especially since i know once i was feeling better and saw my resit marks (they got capped at 40) which were over 60 marks. I know i could have done better so im being really hard on myself.
@samptgsk

It's fantastic that you have got a job already before graduating : )

It's frustrating that you had a bad final year, especially when you know you could have done better, but going over it again and again is not going to help.

It's not going to make you feel any better.

The important thing is what you do now.

You can enjoy the time that you have before you start work and once you are working you can make plans, whether that's trying to save a bit of money for further study or for a nice holiday.

You have to look forward. You can't change the past, but you can take positive steps for the future.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending