The Student Room Group

'07 Corsa gears 'jam'

So I bought a 1.0 petrol Corsa, '07' plate back in February/March time. Recently I've been having some problems with the gears. It's always been stiff - I learned in a Fiesta and you could almost change gears with one finger it was so smooth, whereas this you actually have to 'grab' the stick and really push it into the gear you want. I'm ok with that, I got used to it...

But sometimes it just refuses to enter 3rd gear. It's like 3rd doesn't exist, there's just not a 'slot' for it to fit into. Occasionally it goes into 1st instead of 3rd. This is obviously quite dangerous if there was someone behind me, luckily it's always been on a quiet country road that it's happened where I was the only car. Eventually it always does engage but only after a bit of a fight. I asked other people to take it out for a drive but of course when they did, it was fine - it's one of those things lol! I mean it doesn't happen every time I drive, maybe once every two weeks and I'm driving maybe 5 days a week.

I did some googling and saw that older Corsas (00-06 I think) have had gearbox problems similar to this, but I've not found much about the 'newer' ones. Taking it to the dealer today but would be good to go with some information if it is a relatively well known fault.. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Reply 1
You have to press the clutch down mate.
Original post by nickmurp
You have to press the clutch down mate.

wow, really? I never knew!!! thanks for your help! :biggrin:
I'm quite a new Driver myself and learnt in Fiesta. I hired a corsa and found it hard to change gears in it. I think it has a narrower gear change slot......as I've hired other cars...... Renault captur,auris,Nissan quashi and have had no problems with the gear changes there.
hope that helps
Reply 4
Could be a couple of things. Possibly a loose clutch cable (or faulty clutch master/slave cylinder, but I doubt a Corsa has a hydraulic clutch), which would mean that even with the clutch all the way to the floor it's not releasing the clutch enough to change gears. This would usually be met with a bit of grinding though. The other possibility is worn gear linkage bushes. These hold the gear stick and linkages/cables in the right place relative to each other. When they wear out, when you're trying to push it into third gear it's not accurate enough to get it in the right place to go into gear. Both options are pretty cheap.

You might also want to check/top up the gearbox fluid. There's not often a dip stick, you just use a funnel to fill it up until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Or your gearbox is knackered, but that's unlikely.
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
Could be a couple of things. Possibly a loose clutch cable (or faulty clutch master/slave cylinder, but I doubt a Corsa has a hydraulic clutch), which would mean that even with the clutch all the way to the floor it's not releasing the clutch enough to change gears. This would usually be met with a bit of grinding though. The other possibility is worn gear linkage bushes. These hold the gear stick and linkages/cables in the right place relative to each other. When they wear out, when you're trying to push it into third gear it's not accurate enough to get it in the right place to go into gear. Both options are pretty cheap.

You might also want to check/top up the gearbox fluid. There's not often a dip stick, you just use a funnel to fill it up until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Or your gearbox is knackered, but that's unlikely.

Corsa C and D have hydraulic clutches
Reply 6
Original post by kernow24
Corsa C and D have hydraulic clutches

I'm surprised! If it's clutch related then the repair just got a lot more expensive. However, it's still more likely to be one of the joints in the gear selector linkage having worn out, which is still pretty cheap. Apparently pretty common on Corsas.
Reply 7
Best case its probably some worn gear linkages or guide bushes with nothing wrong with the box itself. Worst case the syncromesh is on its way out. Although it could just be the car itself has a slightly heavier shift, cant really tell without having a feel of it myself. Is there play in the stick well the car is in gear (i.e not neutral)?

If it was clutch it would be an audible grinding when trying to be forced into gear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nuffles

Yes, this ws a problem with my corsa recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending