The Student Room Group

Gcse to AS - Utterly confused

I've missed my chances to get biology in A level by scoring low in gcse grades
This is what I hold now and requesting for remark as I was told that I'll get A* in all science

Maths, further maths - A*
Chemistry, physics - A
biology - b

In total I have 2A*, 4A and 6B in Gcse and got chem, physics, maths and further maths for a level. I've also done computing AS with my gcse

Do I retake my biology gcse to improve my chances for medicine as I've looked around and found only 2 uni accepting with what I have at the moment? Or do I do A level biology externally? I don't want to think of a career path that's different as this is what I've been aiming for. My parents are all stressed out but not saying much to me at the moment. Can anyone help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Not sure if this is in the right forum thread for getting answers. Sorry I am sounding too eager, but please can someone help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Unichoice17
I've missed my chances to get biology in A level by scoring low in gcse grades
This is what I hold now and requesting for remark as I was told that I'll get A* in all science

Maths, further maths - A*
Chemistry, physics - A
biology - b

In total I have 2A*, 4A and 6B in Gcse and got chem, physics, maths and further maths for a level. I've also done computing AS with my gcse

Do I retake my biology gcse to improve my chances for medicine as I've looked around and found only 2 uni accepting with what I have at the moment? Or do I do A level biology externally? I don't want to think of a career path that's different as this is what I've been aiming for. My parents are all stressed out but not saying much to me at the moment. Can anyone help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you need an A to do Biology?
Speak to your head of sixth form and ask if you can have a go anyway. Tell them you'll have a better work ethic and will work harder for a good grade as otherwise this will limit your choice of universities. Then you can always swap eg FM for biology as the FM isn't going to be required for medicine.
What Ronnie said - Try and discuss with whoever is the authority over letting people take the course. I'd also suggest speaking to your previous biology teachers and trying to sway their opinion of you as a B is not considered poor by anyone. Also let them know that by not allowing you to do biology, they're lowering his chances to apply for medicine in the following year. If they;re pricks and still won't let you, look into switching to a more lenient Sixth Form/College (my one only required a B to do either science/maths)

You can do it externally but leave that as a final resort.
Reply 4
Original post by Unichoice17
Do I retake my biology gcse to improve my chances for medicine as I've looked around and found only 2 uni accepting with what I have at the moment?

Don't bother. Many competitive courses don't accept GCSEs taken in the 6th form.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies. I had a discussion on Friday and she (head of sixth form) was adamant that they cannot offer doing biology here. She was stating stats show biology will be D if they allow me. I've not applied anywhere else, is it too late to check elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest