The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Internet

Hi,

How strict are they on internet usage? I presume torrenting is a no go, but what about free film/tv show streaming sites?

Are you allowed to use your own VPN/Tor?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I didn't manage to go to torrent sites,because they were sort of blocked.On the other hand,torrents which I added at home were downloading very fine at uni,so...

As for streaming online,Kent normally places advertisements on TV screens around campus to deter you from streaming illegally; they tell you to get a TV license as you might get slapped with a £5000 fine.Like many people around campus,my friends and I used to watch football and movies on streaming sites a lot,and nothing happened to us.But,yeah,there's still a risk that you might get fined one day if you're very unlucky.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rile06
I didn't manage to go to torrent sites,because they were sort of blocked.On the other hand,torrents which I added at home were downloading very fine at uni,so...

As for streaming online,Kent normally places advertisements on TV screens around campus to deter you from streaming illegally; they tell you to get a TV license as you might get slapped with a £5000 fine.Like many people around campus,my friends and I used to watch football and movies on streaming sites a lot,and nothing happened to us.But,yeah,there's still a risk that you might get fined one day if you're very unlucky.

Thanks really appreciate this post. Did you download torrents at the uni then?

I wasn't talking about live steaming, but like the free films/tv show websites. Sounds like they don't care *that* much about what you do?
Reply 3
Original post by rile06

How restrictive is the internet, do they block a lot of website? I hope that it's not like the internet in my college, where they literally block most sites.
Reply 4
Original post by jeremy1212
Thanks really appreciate this post. Did you download torrents at the uni then?

I wasn't talking about live steaming, but like the free films/tv show websites. Sounds like they don't care *that* much about what you do?

Yep.I managed to download torrent at uni,although not many,as I didn't know they could be downloaded.
As for the free sites,yes,you can normally watch them without any problem - as I said I know many people who did so on campus!
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.wong
How restrictive is the internet, do they block a lot of website? I hope that it's not like the internet in my college, where they literally block most sites.

Kent doesn't block anything on content.You're free to watch whatever you want.
On the other hand,'dangerous sites' (those with viruses) are blocked and you're warned about them.Such sites are pretty rare though,and it's a good thing that you're warned about them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending