The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462488252.499493.jpg
Awesome night at Anfield - again. Man United, Dortmund, and tonight. I've been treated to some great experiences this season. I love this football club.

The atmosphere was amazing. Incredible scenes pre-match all along Anfield Road, and around Stanley Park. It was a hotbed, a cauldron of noise... all the cliches. And Villarreal didn't know what hit them. Our atmosphere has improved ten-fold this season - and we owe an awful lot of that to Klopp, and the cult of the manager. With him in charge, we really can achieve special feats and accomplish all manner of things.

I felt tonight was an exceptional team performance. To a man, we were brilliant. I thought Villarreal didn't help themselves - the unnecessary rotation of the goalkeepers seemed to jar them, with their goalkeeper seemingly out of his depth during the frenetic and fast opening.

Our back five was so solid. Mignolet was called upon early doors and did his bit - and enjoyed a relatively quiet evening. That's what we need to see more of from him: concentration. He didn't flap at crosses unnecessarily after not being called upon for a long time. The top goalkeepers - of which, admittedly, Mignolet will never be one - often spend an hour not doing anything, but react and save their side when called upon. We haven't seen that enough from Mignolet. Indeed, there was that stat floating around which suggested he'd conceded from the first shot he'd faced in a game all too regularly.

Clyne was brilliant, I felt, and probably gave his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. He made the opening goal with that tremendous, wicked low cross. Kolo Toure used his experienced to neutralise the Villarreal attack, and Soldado cut an isolated figure after Toure/Lovren (who were both brilliantly solid) kept him quiet with well-timed interceptions and blocks.

The two in front of the back four were just phenomenal. Again, we saw what Milner brings to us. Suarez had spoken in the week of his admiration for Milner - and he showed why tonight. He was head and shoulders above anybody else in the midfield - both in terms of experience and game management - and his deployment alongside Can, who was just a colussus, was a stroke of genius from Klopp. I felt Milner was exceptional with his passing range and incisiveness going into the final third, and Can was just totally commanding and showed no sign of rustiness.

With those two in tandem, it allowed the front quartet time to express themselves. Lallana harrassed consistently and ran his socks off, Sturridge surely has to go to the Euros based on his performance tonight, and Firmino showed more quality than we've seen from him since the United home leg.

Sturridge seemed to love scoring the goal. I was in the Kop, so didn't get a good view, but he was a constant threat despite sometimes finding himself on the periphery of proceedings. He was lively and urgent, and didn't seem to be sulking after his deployment in a disappointing weekend defeat. As for Firmino, what a player. Skilful, masterful, and I'll have that turn of his etched in my mind for a while yet.

Bring on Sevilla. I won't get tickets, but we're one game off the CL. Brilliant stuff. Two finals in a season for Klopp. Regardless of the result in Basel, that progress allows us to target summer signings and recruits - and gives them proof we're building something. They will look at nights like tonight, and Dortmund and United, and buy into the mission and see us a club worth signing for.

That, coupled with Klopp's persona and his willingness to fight for the team, makes our future really bright no matter what happens in the final.
The clear bias towards you on ITV made me throw up in my mouth.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
The clear bias towards you on ITV made me throw up in my mouth.

You'd expect them to support the English team though..

Still, not looking forward to the aids that'll come out of their supporters now that they think they're relevant again.
Original post by AR_95

Still, not looking forward to the aids that'll come out of their supporters now that they think they're relevant again.

I swear Clyne handballed it in the buildup to the red card, yet they glossed over it. Hoddle was in full on hard-on mode.
Reply 7185
Original post by AR_95

Well if we win it, we'll have had a better season than Arsenal.
The salt from opposing fans is delicious.

Forget the game against City or Dortmund, that was by far the best Liverpool performance we've seen all season. Made one of the best defences in Europe look ordinary.

Sevilla are absolutely monstrous though and will be the biggest challenge of all. If we play anything like last night, it won't even be a contest, but they are so adept and experienced at winning the Europa League - they know exactly how to do it. They aren't a better side than Dortmund but they score for fun in this competition. We can certainly get at their defence, it's just a matter of if ours can cope.

A European final is never gonna be easy though - you have to beat the big teams to win a trophy and so far we have. United, Dortmund and now Villarreal. There's no doubt we got the hardest route to the final, so let's pick up the trophy we deserve.

This could make or break us for the next few years - the difference of Klopp having CL is absolutely huge and we could bring in some real players in the summer if we make it a reality.

2 finals in 7 months. Jesus...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pn94
Well if we win it, we'll have had a better season than Arsenal.

No **** sherlock
Original post by AR_95
No **** sherlock

Pls no salt, we're doing this for you.

Keeping England's differential up so you can keep your 4th place CL spot :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
Pls no salt, we're doing this for you.

Keeping England's differential up so you can keep your 4th place CL spot :biggrin:

Shut up I agreed with him
Original post by AR_95
Shut up I agreed with him

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462514866.014127.jpg
Worth remembering how evident Spanish clubs' dominance in Europe has been this season, too.

We're seeing a climate where the second and third best teams in La Liga are in the final of a European competition, the best side got knocked out by arguably the second side, and we've just knocked out their league's fourth best. That's some going.

I think last night was the first time a Spanish club got knocked out of a European contest this season by a non-La Liga team.
Original post by Mackay
Worth remembering how evident Spanish clubs' dominance in Europe has been this season, too.

We're seeing a climate where the second and third best teams in La Liga are in the final of a European competition, the best side got knocked out by arguably the second side, and we've just knocked out their league's fourth best. That's some going.

I think last night was the first time a Spanish club got knocked out of a European contest this season by a non-La Liga team.

Unless you're talking about the top 3 then the point you're making doesn't hold much weight.
Still a big win and Villarreal aren't exactly push overs, but saying you've beat the 4th best team when 4th is 20 points behind 3rd currently, and also in a different competition...?
Original post by AR_95
Unless you're talking about the top 3 then the point you're making doesn't hold much weight.
Still a big win and Villarreal aren't exactly push overs, but saying you've beat the 4th best team when 4th is 20 points behind 3rd currently, and also in a different competition...?

inb4 luke says you're salty
Original post by difeo
inb4 luke says you're salty

Don't care, we're in a European final

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462518854.532553.jpg
Original post by Mackay

I agree, it's frightening really.

We had our spell of "dominance" - if you can even call it that - during the mid-late 2000s. Now it's Spain's time.

The fact that it seemingly takes a Spanish team to defeat a Spanish team is very worrying, making our win last night very important indeed. We showed you can beat these teams if you play football at a good level.

That's the problem for us this season though - the English teams have generally gone out with a whimper.
Spurs effectively surrendered, City offered nothing and United made it far too easy for us to knock them out.

Spanish teams play the same amount of games that we do, so how come they can cope with the extra European matches, but English teams can't?
Original post by AR_95

More speaking about the perceived Spanish dominance. In the past decade, we've seen three all-Spanish European finals (two in the Europa, admittedly) and we're getting a fourth this year, and we've just stopped the fifth happening.
Original post by Lúcio
Don't care, we're in a European final

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462518854.532553.jpg

And I hope that Liverpool wins this final. That would be a good debut for Klopp, plus Liverpool would catch Sevilla up in terms of victories in Europa League. Damn, it is time to stop Sevilla. Third victory in a row?! never ever!
Villarreal boss Marcelino: "Things didn't work out how we had planned them. It hit us hard conceding that early goal, it was a hammer blow.

"It was tough against an opponent who played with a huge amount of intensity, maybe on the margins of the rules at times, but it was allowed.

"Liverpool played better than us but for all their superiority they didn't create too many chances. When we got to the sending off it was pretty much game over by then."

How ****ing bitter. Our players were on the margin of the rules? What about D.Suarez kick out and Soldado pulling Lovren down when on the floor? What about all the pathetic diving attempts and rolling around to get our players shown yellow cards?

Also lol at not creating chances.. we could've had 5 or 6 goals when Villarreal only had 2 chances all game which we defended.
I would never be able to get tickets anyway, regardless of me going to every EL home match this season, but us having 10,000 tickets for the final is a farce. Both sides deserve more.

FFS, UEFA. Play the match in a bigger, better, more suited arena. Their decision making in matters like this is a farce considering how many corporate tickets get shifted, but Basel is just ridiculous. A 38,000 seater stadium ffs. This match deserves to be played in an arena bigger than 50,000 imho.

Latest