The Student Room Group

Gap year to boost the grades!

i wanted to ask the experts here to help me out with my retake problem
I took biology chemistry and maths for my a level
and i did literally crap (seriously i did really really bad)
so I've been thinking of retaking year 13 but this time teaching myself since I've got the textbooks and all the notes.
But because I know i can get high grades, i want to aim for russell group universities for biomedicine or biochemistry
I think the main reason why i did so bad was because i didn't really try hard last year
am i being daft for aiming that high? am i being unrealistic?
and since i am applying as a private candidate, i need my reference and my predicted grades from my old school, but i don't want to call them or visit them because i feel like they are some how going to laugh at me for even trying to do biomedicine.
Shell i man up and call them up and ask for the reference and the predicted grades?
also, if i apply for non russell group universities and got an offer but next year august i got exceptionally high grades, do you reckon i can go through adjustment and get into universities like kcl or ucl?
i really need help since I'm literally clueless right now and i am really determined to try harder :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for it bro, just email whoever did your reference last year and ask them if they can change it to make it relevant for this year.
Reply 2
ahh but do you think I'm being unrealistic for aiming high?

Original post by h3110
Go for it bro, just email whoever did your reference last year and ask them if they can change it to make it relevant for this year.
Reply 3
Original post by akwon14
ahh but do you think I'm being unrealistic for aiming high?

What grades did you get this year? I think most people could get As and Bs if they work hard
Reply 4
i got ccd :frown:
Original post by h3110
What grades did you get this year? I think most people could get As and Bs if they work hard
I'm in a similar position as you I'm on my gap year but my grades weren't as low as yours but I'm still thinking of retaking. Are you retaking at a different school or like a test centre?
Reply 6
i think ill be retaking at my old school just not attending the lessons
how about you??
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm in a similar position as you I'm on my gap year but my grades weren't as low as yours but I'm still thinking of retaking. Are you retaking at a different school or like a test centre?
Reply 7
ahhh thank you for your advise!
did they give you the predicted grades that you wanted?
and how did you work by yourself?
sorry for keep asking questions :s

Original post by AliRizzo
Hi, I was in the exact same position as you this time last year. I massively underachieved and my teachers/family wanted me to just go off to university and get on with my life. I stayed and raised my grades to A*AA, same subjects as you. I studied rigorously at home by myself and I put a lot of effort in. I too didn't want to have to go back to the school and get a reference and predicted grades as I didn't really like them much, but I did.

Don't be afraid to go back or to retake exams, it was one of the best decisions I took as I was extremely determined.

Just make sure you work very hard and you'll be rewarded on results day, and ensure you get a good reference/predictions. And yes you may have a chance through adjustment although I wouldn't rely 100% on it. UCL is a bit more of a long shot, however I would be confident that KCL would have spaces to fill.
Original post by akwon14
i think ill be retaking at my old school just not attending the lessons
how about you??

I don't know if I have the guts to go back to my old school. Too awkward. I'm thinking of going to a test centre. I need to research.
Reply 9
yea that sounds like a good plan as well
are you planning on revising by yourself as well?

Original post by Ladymusiclover
I don't know if I have the guts to go back to my old school. Too awkward. I'm thinking of going to a test centre. I need to research.
Reply 10
i don't think my teachers will predict me anything higher then b tbh
do you know where to get these solomon papers?

No problem, ask as many as you need.

I got my old chemistry teacher to do my reference and predicted grades as we had a good relationship and I could trust him with it. Yes I got the predicted grades I wanted (A*AA) and I think you should too.

In terms of working by myself I just used two revision guides for each subject (apart from maths), made posters,notes and exam tips and stuck them on my wall around November so I could see it throughout the year and it would stick in my brain. I also did LOADS of past papers starting as early as possible. For Maths I would highly suggest doing all of the solomon papers as well to fully prepare yourself. Repeat the papers over and over if you need to.
Reply 11
no i did ocr
ill try but my teacher literally hated me because i did say some stupid things during the lessons
do you think i should apply for somewhere with lower requirment and do really well next summer and go through adjustment?

Yeh just search it on Google and it should come up. Are you doing edexcel maths? And if you really want (and believe you can get) an A then you should let your teacher know.
Original post by akwon14
yea that sounds like a good plan as well
are you planning on revising by yourself as well?

Yeah I'm going to revise by myself I kept my notes. I'm going to order my scripts to see where I went wrong.
Hi, I was in the exact same position as you this time last year. I massively underachieved and my teachers/family wanted me to just go off to university and get on with my life. I stayed and raised my grades to A*AA, same subjects as you. I studied rigorously at home by myself and I put a lot of effort in. I too didn't want to have to go back to the school and get a reference and predicted grades as I didn't really like them much, but I did.

Don't be afraid to go back or to retake exams, it was one of the best decisions I took as I was extremely determined.

Just make sure you work very hard and you'll be rewarded on results day, and ensure you get a good reference/predictions. And yes you may have a chance through adjustment although I wouldn't rely 100% on it. UCL is a bit more of a long shot, however I would be confident that KCL would have spaces to fill.

This is basically me this year, I hope it pays off like it did for you. So, where are you off to and where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
yea thats what I've been thinking
i don't know i might go and talk to my teachers and ask about it
but thanks for your advise tho :smile:

It depends really on what your teacher predicts you. Which unis do you want to go to? Going through adjustment is a risk because you a) need to get the required grades first and b) need to make sure the uni will have space for your course.
Reply 15

Which university did you end up going to?
Hi, unfortunately I didn't get into what I wanted to do (Medicine) but I'll be going off to Manchester to study Chemistry which was my backup. What are you planning on applying for?

Ah, that's unfortunate! Congratulations on Chemistry though, there's always graduate entry if you're still committed to Med.

I'm applying for Maths and Computer Science, hopefully wanting to get A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Econ at the end of the year - 16 exams are quite a terrifying prospect at the moment haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
16 exams?! I thought I had it bad with 8 haha. Although with Maths and FM this is expected and in a way I think it makes it more manageable for you. Word of advice, the Maths exams are seemingly getting harder (or at least more 'different') every year so make sure you know the syllabus inside out and have done all the papers. Is Imperial one of your destinations?

Yeah, I'm doing the three A-levels in a year - but that's not entirely true because I've already covered all the Core and FP units from my previous qualifications.

Thanks! I've just been focusing on doing past papers from before the 2000's on different boards, plus the Solomon papers - got 100% on 5 of them (for each C1-4 and FP1 modules) so far.

Nope:
Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akwon14
X

Deciding to take a gap year is the best thing I've done in terms of A-Levels. Although its sad to see my friends to go on with uni whilst I'm re-doing A2, but i feel confident that i can do better. I got CDD in geography, chem and psychology this year and i'm hoping for a BBB and to get into QM at least.You have nothing to lose in retaking the year, you just have to work harder.(Just make sure you can afford to enter your self in for exams and maybe try to get your papers back from your exams)

I am retaking too this year and I wanna know how hard how worked, like when did you start revising etc?

Quick Reply

Latest