The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Paper 1

How did everyone find it?

I thought the first section had some odd questions. The picture question, well imo it didn't illustate much, so I said so. In fact I didn't know what to write for a couple of them, so slagged whatshisname off at every opportunity (is this a bad idea?), because what he wrote was terrible, after writing some good analytical stuff.

The second question was great, I chose persuade and I think I've aced it. :smile: It was very easy, and I used the info. from the leaflet to pretend they were discriminating unfair bastards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought that it was pretty easy but the question about how he used language to shape the readers response stumped me (2c I think) I could only think of 2 points and it was worth 7 marks! For section B I chose the careers advice one and I think I did pretty well.
Reply 2
lol, i wrote the cheesiest persuade article eva, and compared 16yr olds 2 ppl working in sweatshops in the far east. lol tad ott there but who cares. i didnt like the first q at all, it seemed like it wanted you to bullet point the article or sumthin 2 break it up, messed it up, cos i analysed it i think. an i didnt like the language eitha coz he really didnt use a helluva lot of emotive language. i did like the persuade q tho. hwo much did u write?
I thought is was quite easy. I chose the advice one too! :smile: I wrote 10 pages
Reply 4
I think the exam went okay actually, but they could have chosen a better article...it was sooo boring! I agree about the question picture, it seemed a bit vague.

For Section B I did Question 3, the argue letter about saturday jobs, and I think I did okay on that too.

Yay Geography Skills paper this afternoon..... :rolleyes:
Reply 5
victoryismine
I thought is was quite easy. I chose the advice one too! :smile: I wrote 10 pages

How many pages did you write for Section B?
Reply 6
i wrote 2 for b
Reply 7
For the picture one I just said that it brought his writing to life and it helped the reader to understand the conditions graphically. I agree, the article was awful and the picture was vague.
Reply 8
i wrote it showed it stationary because most people couldnt afford petrol.
Reply 9
i thought that paper was hard, but i got everything down i possibly could have and i have thought of and i usually fluke eng papers anyway, so fingers crossed. got my timings abit muddled up, had 45 mins left with 2c and section B to complete, spent about 30 on section B in which i got everythin down. did the top one - 3, managed to get my analgies, my rhetorics, my direct language in, pretty happy with it. went back for 2c, got some stuff down on the underlying tone, themes of death, hints of sarcasm, dunno if that's relevant though. english is always a hard one to gauge i find in terms of conjuring up a grade. gl 2 all :smile:
Reply 10
i put loads about the sarcasm/irony in the article.
I was writing for too long on the first question, got as many marks as I thought possible for the rest of the first section (that picture question was an arse!) then did question 4 in the second section (pursuading 15-16 year olds to join the group) which I think I did quite well on! Considering I usually mess up any exam to do with English! And for the first time ever in an exam, I made a plan :biggrin:
Reply 12
I agree, that Item 1 was the most boring thing ever... I said that the picture had clothes leaning on the open door, this symbolised that the farm workers items had no rightful place and had they "could not even consider rent". They were hand in hand...

For section B i did question 1. A letter about Saturday Jobs. And just listed lots of reasons why my school should not ban them.

Think i've done ok. :biggrin:
Reply 13
O O i think i did the picture question wrong? did you have to just say how it agreed with steinbecks view?

I wrote:

Clothes are simple etc - agrees with 'clothes could not be bought'
deserted land - malnutrined plants - 'malnutriened children'
car - the way they travelled + it was a crap car so not much money

The language question was easy in my opinion

Stenibeck compared humans to animals 'migrants' 'holes' etc
He appealed to sense of pathos - children dying etc
used a lot of negatives
just wrote alot of bs like tht

And i did question 6 - the speech but didnt really do much persuading in it.
I found the paper ok. For the pic, I just said it showed the car being dusty and old, tatty clothes, hot climate, like the article says, and that it represents a lot of the problems the migrants have.

For writing I did a letter to the headmaster, got lots of techniques in I think.

About 6 sides total.
Reply 15
for the language one i put that he used many negatives, used humour and changed from using positive ajectives at start to negative ones at end to leave the reader with a negative viewpoint. also i put that he used syntax for effect, eg at end: ending with guns.

i chose the persuading one (Q4)
Reply 16
victoryismine

congratulations, you have just failed your English GCSE
Reply 17
~Pablo~
I agree, that Item 1 was the most boring thing ever... I said that the picture had clothes leaning on the open door, this symbolised that the farm workers items had no rightful place and had they "could not even consider rent". They were hand in hand...

For section B i did question 1. A letter about Saturday Jobs. And just listed lots of reasons why my school should not ban them.

Think i've done ok. :biggrin:

I did pretty much the same and was satisfied :biggrin:
Although that last question in section A worth 7 marks was a stinker
Reply 18
dazzyaa911
congratulations, you have just failed your English GCSE

what's this all about?
Reply 19
~Pablo~
what's this all about?

10 pages?

Latest