The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School (HYMS) 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by g.k.galloway
Evening guys :smile:
I'm in my second year at HYMS, if you have any questions about applying or the course (or anything at all!) i'll do my best to help!

Good luck! :smile:

I looked at the intercalation options and there are only four. Is it common for med students at HYMS to therefore intercalate at other universities? Do you know if it is competitive or difficult to do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
I looked at the intercalation options and there are only four. Is it common for med students at HYMS to therefore intercalate at other universities? Do you know if it is competitive or difficult to do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know too much about it but I have certainly known of students who have gone elsewhere, they look on it as a good opportunity to go somewhere new.
As for how competitive it is, that would depend on where you were applying for your intercalation course and what that specific program is like :smile:
Do you feel applying with a SJT band of 3 is not a good idea?? It makes 20% of the post-interview score.
Hey! I scored 2250, Band 2! Is it a good idea to apply to hull york?
I have high grades and a BSc in psychology, plus a lot of working experience
Hey, I got 2600 band 2 UKCAT. 7A*, 4A GCSEs and already achieved A*AAa A/AS Level. Considering HYMS, is my UKCAT good enough?
Original post by Scottyc97
Hey, I got 2600 band 2 UKCAT. 7A*, 4A GCSEs and already achieved A*AAa A/AS Level. Considering HYMS, is my UKCAT good enough?

Original post by stergihan
Hey! I scored 2250, Band 2! Is it a good idea to apply to hull york?
I have high grades and a BSc in psychology, plus a lot of working experience

Pretty good chance for both of you...Band 2 + good interview score will put you in a good place. With your academics, you should both get an interview as well
Is 682 a good enough score for hyms if my academics are good?
Hi all!
I'm currently in my 3rd year at HYMS - based in York for the first two years but currently on placement in Hull. I am more than happy to answer any questions about the course or what it is like to be at HYMS. Not best placed to answer admissions questions because it's changed a heck of a lot since I applied!

Best of luck with your applications :smile:
Original post by Larry31
Hi all!
I'm currently in my 3rd year at HYMS - based in York for the first two years but currently on placement in Hull. I am more than happy to answer any questions about the course or what it is like to be at HYMS. Not best placed to answer admissions questions because it's changed a heck of a lot since I applied!

Hey! Do you ever come across the Hull students or have to go to Hull for anything and vice versa for those based at Hull? Hope your enjoying your placement :biggrin:
Reply 29
I'm a first year student at Hull, let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by kdizzle97
Hey! Do you ever come across the Hull students or have to go to Hull for anything and vice versa for those based at Hull? Hope your enjoying your placement :biggrin:

In the first two years, generally no. You'll see each-other briefly at the cross-campus freshers fair, but that's about it. You also have to go to Hull for the end of year anatomy exams, but you don't usually bump into each-other at the exam. Once you get into year 3 and above, you become a lot more mixed, so I now know a lot more of the Hullies than I did before :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Larry31
Hi all!

Do they do dissection at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Do they do dissection at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main method of anatomy teaching in the first two years is via prosection. However you are attached to a research centre of your choosing for the year, and one of the centres is the Centre for Anatomical and Evolutionary Sciences which has a dissection module I believe.
Reply 33
Original post by Larry31
The main method of anatomy teaching in the first two years is via prosection. However you are attached to a research centre of your choosing for the year, and one of the centres is the Centre for Anatomical and Evolutionary Sciences which has a dissection module I believe.

Is prosection with a complete cadaver? Do you find it an effective way to learn anatomy? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
Is prosection with a complete cadaver? Do you find it an effective way to learn anatomy? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Normally there is one full body cadaver and then a number of specific sections related to the theme of the week. For example, in one of the lung weeks, you'll have the full body cadaver that will be dissected for you, as well as lungs and thorax-only prosections with ribs and muscles etc. intact. That way you can see different structures on different sections. I actually found that it was incredibly effective. The danger with doing dissection yourself is that as a novice you are very likely to cut through important structures. Prosections mean that you get to see real tissue, but it has been expertly dissected so that you can see all of the structures that you need to see.
Reply 35
Original post by Larry31
Normally there is one full body cadaver and then a number of specific sections related to the theme of the week. For example, in one of the lung weeks, you'll have the full body cadaver that will be dissected for you, as well as lungs and thorax-only prosections with ribs and muscles etc. intact. That way you can see different structures on different sections. I actually found that it was incredibly effective. The danger with doing dissection yourself is that as a novice you are very likely to cut through important structures. Prosections mean that you get to see real tissue, but it has been expertly dissected so that you can see all of the structures that you need to see.

That sounds best to be honest. Thank you very much for your description :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
That sounds best to be honest. Thank you very much for your description :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem at all! If you have any other questions, feel free to contact either myself or g.k.galloway :smile:
Reply 37
Hi guys does anyone know how exactly HYMS are scoring the UKCAT out of 50 this year?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Evening guys :smile:
I'm in my second year at HYMS, if you have any questions about applying or the course (or anything at all!) i'll do my best to help!

Good luck! :smile:

Hello!

I'm a Natural Sciences graduate who completed his A-levels in 2010, achieving A*s in Biology and Chemistry. Do you know if this meets the following requirement?:

Biology and Chemistry to at least A level grade A standard, taken within the last 5 years, or Biology and Chemistry modules in your degree to at least this standard.

I know that, technically, it has been just over 5 years since I sat my A2s, but is this what they mean? There were also Biology and Chemistry modules in my degree too, but do you know if I have explicitly state this on my UCAS form or will it be assumed?

Furthermore, do you know if graduates are scored on GCSEs in the same way as school-leavers?

I've sent all these queries to HYMS admissions but they're very busy and understandably haven't got back to me yet. Hope you can help me out :smile:

Thanks!

A
Original post by ah639
Hello!

I'm a Natural Sciences graduate who completed his A-levels in 2010, achieving A*s in Biology and Chemistry. Do you know if this meets the following requirement?:

Biology and Chemistry to at least A level grade A standard, taken within the last 5 years, or Biology and Chemistry modules in your degree to at least this standard.

I know that, technically, it has been just over 5 years since I sat my A2s, but is this what they mean? There were also Biology and Chemistry modules in my degree too, but do you know if I have explicitly state this on my UCAS form or will it be assumed?

Furthermore, do you know if graduates are scored on GCSEs in the same way as school-leavers?

I've sent all these queries to HYMS admissions but they're very busy and understandably haven't got back to me yet. Hope you can help me out :smile:

Thanks!

A

Hi :smile:
I must be honest i'm not really in a position to advise you on admissions procedures or anything, especially with it being different to when I applied.
If you've emailed HYMS the best thing to do would be to wait it out a little while or maybe even give them a ring.
I wouldn't want to tell you anything that's wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending