The Student Room Group

GDL NEXT YEAR? will my A level grades hinder my chances of becoming a lawyer

Hi guys, i will try and make this very short!

i received ABBC at a level, ( i wanted to be an english teacher at 17, if i had known i wanted to do lawi would have worked a lot harder )
Currently, i'm in my final year of an BA English Lit degree at greenwich, im hoping to get a 2:1.

Last year i realised i really want to pursue law ( a childhood dream of mine ) and i have managed to save and work my b*tt off to save enough for a GDL course at the university of law starting next sept.

Can someone tell me if i could become a lawyer despite the a level grades? and if anyone has a similar situation, can you please help me out. I feel so hopeless! this is all i want to do and my ability at 17/18 does not reflect on me and how motivated i am now.
Original post by rainbow18
Hi guys, i will try and make this very short!

i received ABBC at a level, ( i wanted to be an english teacher at 17, if i had known i wanted to do lawi would have worked a lot harder )
Currently, i'm in my final year of an BA English Lit degree at greenwich, im hoping to get a 2:1.

Last year i realised i really want to pursue law ( a childhood dream of mine ) and i have managed to save and work my b*tt off to save enough for a GDL course at the university of law starting next sept.

Can someone tell me if i could become a lawyer despite the a level grades? and if anyone has a similar situation, can you please help me out. I feel so hopeless! this is all i want to do and my ability at 17/18 does not reflect on me and how motivated i am now.
This may be a problem as some of the big firms have a minimum A-Level requirement of AAB; however it must be noted that many other decent City firms have an ABB requirement. Also, as long as you have a decent 2:1 in your degree you should be able to apply to firms which don't place much emphasis on A-Level results; in fact Magic Circle firms like Freshfields don't have any A-Level entry requirements either.

Do you have any mitigating circumstances which could explain your A-Level results? I would suggest that you go down to career fairs and speak to the recruiters of firms for a clearer picture too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending