The Student Room Group

Certain aspects at uni depress me

I'm in my 2nd year studying business at a london uni. I don't know if it's just london business students or students in general but my course is full of international students from wealthy families. They are not down to earth or warm, or humble. Alot of them don't even work hard because their families fix them up with internships. I find alot of fake people here. They will say hello and smile to your face one minute and then next week they might ignore you and pretend you don't exist, as if you have done something to them. It's very weird. They could walk by you and not even acknowledge you for no valid reason. I can only think it is based on a sense of social status of some form. If you have status then they may gravitate to you. I don't know? Do others find this at their uni?

It's also affected my self esteem when it comes to girls. I'm not a bad looking guy but I don't stand a chance with these girls, they are so uppity. You either have to be utterly drop dead gorgeous or from their country, or a loudmouth cocky guy, or from a similar rich background to gain their respect. Basically if you don't appear to be of a materialistic nature, they sort of discard you. They want you to be vain and socially popular, posting poses on snapchat and facebook etc

Actually being a friendly, decent person who isn't boring and is just completely normal is not respected. You have got to have status here. Either through your looks or other means. When I look at some attractive girls on facebook from my course they are all posing in fancy restaurants, fancy bars, fancy designer gear, model type shots, on boats or skiing in the alps etc. I can't live up to that so I feel like girls won't bat an eyelid at me. Is this a business student in London type of thing? There's no working class students here.

The sad thing with alot of social status type people who like to be popular and look cool, Ii wouldn't describe many of these people as nice or humble or decent people which is rather ironic. Often they are egotistical and just not nice people.

The nature of the course as well and it being in London, there's a strong sense of pressure and competition. Perhaps this brings out the worst in people even more, I don't know.

I don't feel like I fit here but the course is going well so I will stay.
(edited 8 years ago)
It sounds like the London atmosphere tbh :/ come up north, you won't have a problem :wink:
I feel similar things to you at my uni though it seems a lot of your problem is to do with the girls, and you're saying the girls that grab your attention are the ones in fancy restaurants etc.. uhm well are you being a bit materialistic? there are prob lots of other attractive girls that aren't like that, they are just more difficult to find probably.
Original post by automobile
I feel similar things to you at my uni though it seems a lot of your problem is to do with the girls, and you're saying the girls that grab your attention are the ones in fancy restaurants etc.. uhm well are you being a bit materialistic? there are prob lots of other attractive girls that aren't like that, they are just more difficult to find probably.

not really because that's the way of most of the girls here! they are all from well off backgrounds,all have attended some american international school in hungary or something like that.
have you spoken to these girls?

You cant judge a book by its cover, that being said they sound like bitches, do you go out a lot, I'm sure there are other girls who are nice who would like you for who you are. maybe your looking but not really seeing them behind this group of alpha females
Reply 5
Those girls sound like all girls. And your university sounds typical to me. There are no "working class" people in any universities as far as I know.
Original post by VergeofInsanity
not really because that's the way of most of the girls here! they are all from well off backgrounds,all have attended some american international school in hungary or something like that.

Idk I don't think you can generalise that many people! thousands are all the same? don't think so!
Reply 7
Original post by automobile
Idk I don't think you can generalise that many people! thousands are all the same? don't think so!

Actually in RG unis it is pretty clear to see that the majority of students are all quite similar - from white middle class backgrounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending