The Student Room Group

Are Business Admin apprenticeships good?

Am I likely to get a good career through a business admin apprenticeship if I do: intermediate, advanced, higher?
Hi there,

I would recommend doing a Business Admin apprenticeship if you are looking to get into the world of business.

I done my first apprenticeship back in 2010 where I studied Level 2 apprenticeship in Business and Admin while working at a hospital earning £95 a week. You get really good hands on experience which employers want and also get a qualification out of it. Once I completed the Level 2(in 2011) I got offered a job in a telecoms company earning £17.5k a year (got accepted over recent uni graduates with degrees) and after a year of working there I then started the Level 3 apprenticeship in Business and Admin tailored to the current employers needs. Left that job halfway though the apprenticeship in 2012 and got a job in the NHS offering £21k a year. The apprenticeship company re-tailored the course to cater to the NHS needs and a few month later completed the Level 3 apprenticeship :smile:. Got a new job in 2013 earning £24k a year for a different NHS organisation where I stayed for 2 years before moving up again and getting my current job at NHS head office earning £31k a year. Again when looking through the recruitment documents for my job I was the only candidate without a degree of any sort :smile: Also recently (Tuesday 27th November) got offered a place at uni to study for my first degree.

So in direct response to your question, YES an apprenticeship in Business and Administration can forge a good career for you. You'll be more desirable to employers based on the fact that you got the hands on experience compared to recent graduates and also the fact that you understand how certain organisations operate. I have a few friends from my apprenticeship back in 2010 who are working in all different industries making successful careers from an apprenticeship.

My advice to you would be to make sure you know what field of business you want to get into and find an apprenticeship in that area of business and you'll be well on your way to having a good career :smile:

P.S - Sorry for the big long life story above but usually find it helps motivate people who are curious about apprenticeships.
Reply 2
Original post by Quintilius
Hi there,

I would recommend doing a Business Admin apprenticeship if you are looking to get into the world of business.

I done my first apprenticeship back in 2010 where I studied Level 2 apprenticeship in Business and Admin while working at a hospital earning £95 a week. You get really good hands on experience which employers want and also get a qualification out of it. Once I completed the Level 2(in 2011) I got offered a job in a telecoms company earning £17.5k a year (got accepted over recent uni graduates with degrees) and after a year of working there I then started the Level 3 apprenticeship in Business and Admin tailored to the current employers needs. Left that job halfway though the apprenticeship in 2012 and got a job in the NHS offering £21k a year. The apprenticeship company re-tailored the course to cater to the NHS needs and a few month later completed the Level 3 apprenticeship :smile:. Got a new job in 2013 earning £24k a year for a different NHS organisation where I stayed for 2 years before moving up again and getting my current job at NHS head office earning £31k a year. Again when looking through the recruitment documents for my job I was the only candidate without a degree of any sort :smile: Also recently (Tuesday 27th November) got offered a place at uni to study for my first degree.

So in direct response to your question, YES an apprenticeship in Business and Administration can forge a good career for you. You'll be more desirable to employers based on the fact that you got the hands on experience compared to recent graduates and also the fact that you understand how certain organisations operate. I have a few friends from my apprenticeship back in 2010 who are working in all different industries making successful careers from an apprenticeship.

My advice to you would be to make sure you know what field of business you want to get into and find an apprenticeship in that area of business and you'll be well on your way to having a good career :smile:

P.S - Sorry for the big long life story above but usually find it helps motivate people who are curious about apprenticeships.

No thank you for going into so much detail, really has given me an insight and helped. Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 3
What companies offer apprenticeships? I know nothing about this because nearly everyone from my school goes to do a degree and my school is a pile of dicks who look down on anyone who doesn't do a degree. I get quit good grades at school so I feel like i should just continue to study rather than go into a job now.
That life story is great!
Reply 4
Original post by mon124
What companies offer apprenticeships? I know nothing about this because nearly everyone from my school goes to do a degree and my school is a pile of dicks who look down on anyone who doesn't do a degree. I get quit good grades at school so I feel like i should just continue to study rather than go into a job now.
That life story is great!

A huge variety of companies do apprenticeships. This website shows you all apprenticeships that are on offer in the UK, type in your location to find companies in your area that take on apprentices. And yes if you're clever academically, know what you want to do and enjoy learning in a classroom then I'd carry on studying too!
Reply 5
Original post by Quintilius
Hi there,

Also, sorry for the trouble, but were you accepted into uni with the apprenticeship qualifications, or did you complete A levels or a BTEC qualification before you started working?
There are various companies that offer apprenticeships. Check out the apprenticeships website
Original post by slsvh1998
Also, sorry for the trouble, but were you accepted into uni with the apprenticeship qualifications, or did you complete A levels or a BTEC qualification before you started working?

I was one of those who left school with pretty much nothing so like 1 GCSE and no BTEC or A Levels (not dumb just messed around n got kicked out of school).
Getting a job was easy as you had the work experience and a recognised qualification. Getting into uni was a bit of a tough one as you'd have to sell yourself harder on your UCAS application. However, having the work experience is very beneficial too which is what secured me my place
Reply 8
I like your story. very helpful and motivating

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending