The Student Room Group

Should I put what I'm currently studying/doing in my gap year?

I've already completed my A-Levels however I didn't go university this year, I'm currently doing a course at a college to increase my number of UCAS points and to kind of fill up the year lol. Do I have to put what I'm doing right now in my personal statement even though I think it will be on my pending qualifications? And if yes how should I go about writing it? Because I don't want to say I'm doing it because I didn't get the best A-Level grades etc?

Thanks.
Original post by n.s.k98
I've already completed my A-Levels however I didn't go university this year, I'm currently doing a course at a college to increase my number of UCAS points and to kind of fill up the year lol. Do I have to put what I'm doing right now in my personal statement even though I think it will be on my pending qualifications? And if yes how should I go about writing it? Because I don't want to say I'm doing it because I didn't get the best A-Level grades etc?

Thanks.

Im oretty in the same position as you. I am also attending a local college for a course in physics. Im sure it woulz be great to put it on your ps as it shows your desire to learn more
Reply 2
Original post by n.s.k98

Thanks.

Original post by Duke Glacia
Im oretty in the same position as you. I am also attending a local college for a course in physics. Im sure it woulz be great to put it on your ps as it shows your desire to learn more

It's on your education section, so unis will know that you're doing for it. And they will also know why you're doing it - they can see that you want to study and everything like that. So there's no point including it.

If you really must include it, just keep it brief. You don't really need more than a sentence.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
It's on your education section, so unis will know that you're doing for it. And they will also know why you're doing it - they can see that you want to study and everything like that. So there's no point including it.

If you really must include it, just keep it brief. You don't really need more than a sentence.

Thanks for the replies. I've also briefly written about what I enjoyed studying in my A-Level subjects/what skills I developed etc, is that okay or is it a waste of a paragraph since I'm not doing A-Levels this year?
Reply 4
Original post by n.s.k98
Thanks for the replies. I've also briefly written about what I enjoyed studying in my A-Level subjects/what skills I developed etc, is that okay or is it a waste of a paragraph since I'm not doing A-Levels this year?

Saying what topics you enjoyed is great as that's personal stuff, and nobody else will write the same thing. But it needs to be relevant to the degree - saying you enjoyed something at A Level is pointless if you're now stopping doing it.

Saying what skills you developed can be pointless, as everyone else will say the same thing. Generally, things are either really obvious - everyone knows why maths will help with physics, and some students even write profound thoughts like "maths gives me maths skills". The other thing that can happen is that you try to tie irrelevant subjects to your degree choice, and end up having to explain how art and dance will help with a physics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending