The Student Room Group

Returning from a year abroad

I am not sure whether to apply for a year abroad. Most year abroad's happen in your 3rd year, I want to study in Singapore and that has a big gap in time zones with UK. When you return to the UK after studying abroad, I can't help but feel that the friends you made in your 1st and 2nd year won't be as close with you after being in a different country for a year and living in different time zones. Can anyone share their experience?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am not sure whether to apply for a year abroad. Most year abroad's happen in your 3rd year, I want to study in Singapore and that has a big gap in time zones with UK. When you return to the UK after studying abroad, I can't help but feel that the friends you made in your 1st and 2nd year won't be as close with you after being in a different country for a year and living in different time zones. Can anyone share their experience?

Hi there,

It is great to hear that you are considering studying abroad. I think it is an incredible opportunity to take.

I am currently on my year abroad, and can honestly say it has been a fantastic experience so far. Having the opportunity to leave home by yourself and study elsewhere, exploring new places, meeting new people, and discovering more about yourself is truly wonderful. Especially with the level of support you receive - there is no better time.

Although I haven't returned yet, I definitely understand where your concerns are coming from. I am 7 hours behind the UK, which can make it quite difficult to stay in contact with friends and family, especially as everyone has their own commitments and routines. However, it is all about putting the effort in. I think I have actually become closer with some of my friends as a result of being so far away (strange, I know!). Sometimes you have to have early mornings and late nights, sometimes you won't hear from them for a few days, but it is all worth it to keep that connection going.

Your friends should also understand what a great experience this will be for you, and you should think about what they will be getting up to back home. I know my friends and I do, and we are so happy to report back everything new that has happened each time we talk!

There is no doubt that coming home will be hard (and it may feel weird to be back to normal, you may experience culture shock, etc), but as long as you all put the effort in to stay close, I'm sure it will be okay.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions,

Isabella 🙂
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending