The Student Room Group

Topshop - why is it so expensive?! (girls! and guys of course!)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I find Topshop quite expensive.....but how come I keep hearing from people that topshop is a place for good fashion but for cheap deals?!?!

I can get many of that stuff in Topshop for half the price or less in Hong Kong!

Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everything is expensive in England.
I always buy loads of stuff when I go to Poland.
Have you seen the price of stuff in other shops?
Reply 2
gangrene
I don't know about you guys, but I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I find Topshop quite expensive.....but how come I keep hearing from people that topshop is a place for good fashion but for cheap deals?!?!

I can get many of that stuff in Topshop for half the price or less in Hong Kong!

Btw....where are the cheap places in London to shop (for clothes esp, i'm obssessed), need to know because I think London is going to burn a hole in my pocket! So far, I've been to London a few times and I can't find any cheap AND nice places to shop for clothes......comments appreciated!

hong kong is consumer paradise. it is the best place for buying most things, if you know where to go, so dont expect anything better from bonny old england!
Reply 3
i had a look at topshop and the stuff is quite nice....but really its not worth the money!

I guess I'll be doing most of my shopping in Mongkok, causeway bay, etc. then!
Reply 4
gangrene
i had a look at topshop and the stuff is quite nice....but really its not worth the money!

I guess I'll be doing most of my shopping in Mongkok, causeway bay, etc. then!

i find i can't buy much clothes in HK cos the fashion is so different to UK....so i stick to london! :smile:
Reply 5
is it? what things, for example?

fashion is very eclectic in hong kong, actually......usually some of the locals in hong kong love japanese fashion and therefore, dress kindof weirdly (no offense, this is just my humble opinion), but international school kids are into the american stuff, surf brands, its a more eclectric mix with them....everything from retro to funky to classic to plain slutty. its all very interesting actually! hope its just as diverse in the uk!
Reply 6
gangrene

fashion is very eclectic in hong kong, actually......usually some of the locals in hong kong love japanese fashion and therefore, dress kindof weirdly (no offense, this is just my humble opinion), but international school kids are into the american stuff, surf brands, its a more eclectric mix with them....everything from retro to funky to classic to plain slutty. its all very interesting actually! hope its just as diverse in the uk!

i'm just talking bout clothes in general....well girls clothes neway...i wouldn't wear stuff in hk. its too adventurous, or just not my style!! lol
Reply 7
gangrene

What does eclectric mean?
Is it meant to be electric or is it a new word?
Reply 8
gangrene

Topshop is cheap!

Try places like Brick Lane and Camden Markets for cheaper clothes.

TK Max, Primark and MAtalan are good bets too...
Reply 9
oops its supposed to be eclectic
Reply 10
haha if you think topshop is cheap, you clearly have not been to hong kong!

stuff here is much nicer and so much cheaper!

although i wouldnt really know since i've only been round the "touristy areas" such as oxford street, knightsbridge, etc...
Reply 11
gangrene
haha if you think topshop is cheap, you clearly have not been to hong kong!

stuff here is much nicer and so much cheaper!

Topshop is cheap in more ways than one :wink: The clothes don't tend to be worth the money as they fall apart so quickly. Next is much better!
Reply 12
btw, whats in the portobello (sp?) market?

do they sell lots of cool vintage clothes (not ones that fall apart though!)?
Topshop is not expensive, its ok I think.
Reply 14
gangrene
btw, whats in the portobello (sp?) market?

do they sell lots of cool vintage clothes (not ones that fall apart though!)?
Vintage clothes but not vintage prices! It's fairly expensive for a 'market'.

Nice to have a walk around though :smile:
yeah, portobello market is kinda expensive when you think about it. But everything's so expensive here in London cos of the taxes. To be honest, in London, the cheapest shop you could find is Topshop really, or possibly H&M....Occassionaly Fonthill road is a good bet, but sometimes there's nothing there. I usually go to Covent Garden, down neal street and then up to Regent and Oxford street.

To be honest, you can't really come to London and expect to not pay alot for anything - the food, the clothes, everything really.

Now, the prices in the US, now that's a very different story :tongue:
topshop's not that expensive, esp when you compare it to oasis and wallis and stuff.

try h&m, they have very similar style clothes to topshop but are amazinging bargainous too, plus they have sales often and are always getting in new stock.
Reply 17
maybe you're just poor :tongue:
Reply 18
"maybe you're just poor"

thats impossible - i go to an international school :smile:
Reply 19
topshop is ok, but i think you can get similar stuff cheaper in other shops like h+m, new look, bay, mk one, internationale etc. i just don't think the quality of the stuff in topshop is that great, i got a gorgeous coat there in the winter and it's gone really tatty now from where my bag has rubbed on the shoulder off the coat and i looks really bad.

i think their accesories are quite expensive as well. especially things like socks and belts.

lou xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending