The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
****ing hell.

Define ruined... morons.

Going from winning the league to finish 7th then get fourth and now struggling to get top 4 - getting thrashed by substandard teams and teams in the lower divisions in cups - getting KO of the UCL in the group stages despite having the easiest group - Sacking two managers in the process (if LVG is getting sacked) and spending 250m on players and still achieve nothing on the pitch - youth academy in need of serious reform - playing the worst brand of football possible - our goalkeeper is our best player (who might leave soon) - going on long winless runs - many fans are uninspired and have turned against the manager - City/Chelsea/Arsenal becoming more attractive for players - Glazers - 0 trophies since Fergie left and failure to get to the latter stages of any cup competition :smile:

In terms of who we are that is pretty dreadful and in comparison to where we were when SAF left I would say the club has been substantially ruined by poor management - the only person pulling their weight at the club is Ed - JM would do a much better job than LVG and Moyes and has a better CV than them, this guy is one of the best managers in the world!
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Going from winning the league to finish 7th then get fourth and now struggling to get top 4 - getting thrashed by substandard teams and teams in the lower divisions in cups - getting KO of the UCL in the group stages despite having the easiest group - Sacking two managers in the process (if LVG is getting sacked) and spending 250m on players and still achieve nothing on the pitch - youth academy in need of serious reform - playing the worst brand of football possible - our goalkeeper is our best player (who might leave soon) - going on long winless runs - many fans are uninspired and have turned against the manager - City/Chelsea/Arsenal becoming more attractive for players - Glazers - 0 trophies since Fergie left and failure to get to the latter stages of any cup competition :smile:

In terms of who we are that is pretty dreadful and in comparison to where we were when SAF left I would say the club has been substantially ruined by poor management - the only person pulling their weight at the club is Ed - JM would do a much better job than LVG and Moyes and has a better CV than them, this guy is one of the best managers in the world!

-We hardly ever got thrashed this season (apart from Arsenal who beat us 3-0) but losing 1-0, or 2-1 isn't exactly getting "thrashed".

-How on earth does our youth team need reforming....if anything LVG has done very well to bring in the likes of Varela, CBJ,Lingard, Blackett, McNair, Perreira & Janujaz into the first team.

-You cannot deny that the football we have played in 2016 so far has NOT been boring at all. Proper games of football that were entertaining to watch from a non biased view.

-He has brought in quality signings that have significantly boosted our team. Look how much the fans like Martial now (for example) yet everyone was moaning about how stupid LVG/the club was for buying some teenager who was "unproven".

-People exaggerate a lot but it hasn't actually been all that bad under LVG...sure the football was really dry and boring in the first half of the season but we milked out the results and we were top (funny enough no one was really moaning then.....we then had a bad period in December and everyone went from 0-100 real ****ing quick).

Yes I agree we should be doing better but we are not in a bad position (it could be worse aka we could have done a Chelsea but we haven't).
(edited 8 years ago)
LVG did not bring Januzaj into the first team.

Imagine thinking Mourinho will be worse than Moyes. No brain at all if you do.
Original post by Dirtybit
LVG did not bring Januzaj into the first team.

Ok i'll give you that one...but the same exact point still remains he has done well to bring in youth to the first team.

no one said mourinho will be worse than moyes....so not sure what youre on about there bro.
We've been awful this season even before December it was blatantly obvious. Everyone knew we were going to have a terrible month sooner rather than later because our performances were so **** and we just kept getting results we didnt deserve. Then the collapse happened in December which has probably crushed our top 4 hopes followed by a decent January.

How anyone could say this season hasnt been that bad under LVG is just downright insane. He's spent a ****load of money and its looking like we're not going to finish in the top 4. We've regressed from last season and yes we've had some decent games since the turn of the year but an injury to Martial and we'll probably be no different to how Norwich play. That in itself is just a damn sign of how **** we've been this season.

Also, if the other top clubs in the PL werent that **** this season, we'd probably be midtable instead of currently being 5th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
And you still won't be as **** as Chelsea were in the first half of this season despite everything you've said.
Original post by trapking
Ok i'll give you that one...but the same exact point still remains he has done well to bring in youth to the first team.

Only done well to bring CBJ and thats it. I would say Pereira but he doesn't play him.
Original post by jam277
And you still won't be as **** as Chelsea were in the first half of this season despite everything you've said.

We've been equally ****. Only difference is we've managed to somehow get results by playing so ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dirtybit
Only done well to bring CBJ and thats it. I would say Pereira but he doesn't play him.

Come on you've got to give credit to Lingard and Varela too surely.

Lets all forget Lingard's contributions (including his goal at Chelsea) :rolleyes:

Come on you've got to give credit to Lingard and Varela too surely.

Lets all forget Lingard's contributions (including his goal at Chelsea) :rolleyes:

Are Lingard and Varela even youth tbh? Both are like 23. Varela was a forced change on van Gaal due to the lack of fullbacks and he was loaned out last season anyway so if he was good enough then maybe van Gaal would have bought him through at that time.

I still dont believe both players are of the required starting 11 quality for Manchester United. Both should be squad players at most next season imo. Theres only really 2 positives in van Gaal's reign and thats giving youth a chance i guess and signing Martial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

I still dont believe both players are of the required starting 11 quality for Manchester United. Both should be squad players at most next season imo. Theres only really 2 positives in van Gaal's reign and thats giving youth a chance i guess and signing Martial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...but you're missing the point. No one said the bit in bold.

Also you have to take into account the fact that rebuilding teams takes a lot of time and cannot be done in 1.5 (or less) seasons alone. LVG has slowly started the process of rebuilding the team so the argument of "he spent 250M and we aren't getting anywhere" doesn't really make sense. You can't expect a team that's in the middle of a rebuilding strategy to perform like champions.
(edited 8 years ago)
...but you're missing the point. No one said the bit in bold.

Also you have to take into account the fact that rebuilding teams takes a lot of time and cannot be done in 1.5 (or less) seasons alone. LVG has slowly started the process of rebuilding the team so the argument of "he spent 250M and we aren't getting anywhere" doesn't really make sense. You can't expect a team that's in the middle of a rebuilding strategy to perform like champions.

What? I never said anyone said that, im just stating my opinion that both are not United starting 11 material.

Are you honestly trying to imply that this season is yet another transitional period? Are you honestly having a laugh? Our transitional period was certainly last season. van Gaal has been ruthless in shipping out he deadwood and something which he deserves praise for but he's had his stamp on the football team and this is now his team and we're failing miserably this season. **** performances the entire season and you could count on a single hand of the amount of good quality performances we've had this entire season so far. How can you spent 250m (albeit Di Maria was a large part of that sum) and still be in a transitional period? Smh. No one is even talking about performing like champions, we all know that a title challenge would be slightly unrealistic this season but we should atleast be comfortably in the top 4 at the very least. Yet look where we are, we're 5th and like 5 points off 4th and its looking like we're incapable of closing that gap. You say transitional period then fine, but surely there has to be progress no? Are you implying that there has been progress this season from last?

Also, we should be playing good football yet we play **** football. Is it asking for too much if we wanted to watch entertaining football or is that too much to ask for, for a team in a transitional phase? Seriously, on a real i would happily see us finish outside top 4 if we actually played good football but for the majority of the season bar a handful of games, we've been downright boring and shown performances that even Championship sides would be ashamed of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Are you honestly trying to imply that this season is yet another transitional period? Are you honestly having a laugh? Our transitional period was certainly last season. van Gaal has been ruthless in shipping out he deadwood and something which he deserves praise for but he's had his stamp on the football team and this is now his team and we're failing miserably this season. **** performances the entire season and you could count on a single hand of the amount of good quality performances we've had this entire season so far. How can you spent 250m (albeit Di Maria was a large part of that sum) and still be in a transitional period? Smh. No one is even talking about performing like champions, we all know that a title challenge would be slightly unrealistic this season but we should atleast be comfortably in the top 4 at the very least. Yet look where we are, we're 5th and like 5 points off 4th and its looking like we're incapable of closing that gap. You say transitional period then fine, but surely there has to be progress no? Are you implying that there has been progress this season from last?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm you say that but a lot of people still seem to have unrealistic expectations for this team, this season top 4 is the definitely the aim (which LVG has stated from the very start). We are still not quite there in terms of being a unstoppable force in the PL let alone in Europe. We have got rid of way too many players so obviously they must have a plan in place to replace them all slowly.

The season is not over yet so hold your horses, at this stage it's difficult to gauge on the overall progress but all we can do is have faith in our team and hope they can make top 4! :smile:
We are fast turning in Liverpool if people believe its not that for Manchester United this season. Sounds dramatic and over exaggerated but its just amazing at how far we've fallen in terms of standards and fans have started to accept mediocrity. We're ****ing Manchester United, sound like a spoilt **** but we shouldnt be accepting finishing outside the top 4 as not bad. Thats shambolic and its so frsutrating to see how this season has panned out. Last season it was acceptable as we were recovering from Moyes disasterous season in charge but there are no excuses this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm you say that but a lot of people still seem to have unrealistic expectations for this team, this season top 4 is the definitely the aim (which LVG has stated from the very start). We are still not quite there in terms of being a unstoppable force in the PL let alone in Europe. We have got rid of way too many players so obviously they must have a plan in place to replace them all slowly.

The season is not over yet so hold your horses, at this stage it's difficult to gauge on the overall progress but all we can do is have faith in our team and hope they can make top 4! :smile:

I'm sorry bro but for me, our league season is over. I dont think we'll make top 4 but it would be a pleasant surprise if we did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry bro but for me, our league season is over. I dont think we'll make top 4 but it would be a pleasant surprise if we did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only natural though all good sides must go through some really tough periods, can't be always successful every single year! We will bounce back soon for sure (we won't become liverpool haha) but for now just have to endure whatever results we get.

I'm not gonna lie I do doubt we will make top 4 but part of me also thinks we can do it if other teams **** up and we just edge it out like last season...it's a nervy time but with 13 games to go that gives me hope :colondollar:
Not an achievement at all to promote youth to be squad players.
It's only natural though all good sides must go through some really tough periods, can't be always successful every single year! We will bounce back soon for sure (we won't become liverpool haha) but for now just have to endure whatever results we get.

I'm not gonna lie I do doubt we will make top 4 but part of me also thinks we can do it if other teams **** up and we just edge it out like last season...it's a nervy time but with 13 games to go that gives me hope :colondollar:

I fully agree and football clubs go through cycles but seriously man, do you accept 3 seasons of constant failure? Moyes was a disaster and van Gaal's first season we played **** football but then hit a purple patch where we beat Spurs, Liverpool and City convincingly but then returned to playing **** and ended the season on a negative note. Now we're well into his second season and i struggle to see any progression. Fine technically our players have improved and we now seem capable of building attacks from the back and competent in possession but thats not enough. The football is horrible for most parts of the season. Just look at any other club and manager comes in and still get thier players to play attractive football or exciting football.

Its a bit weird tho. First part of this season we played **** and got results. The December happened and we played **** and got **** results. But now we play good football but get **** results. We just dont seem to be consistent in achieving both aims bar the Everton, Stoke and Derby games.

5 point gap can be closed but we arent capable of going on a run of wins. We honestly arent, we havent won 3 games in a row this season at all and we're inconsistent. I've just come to accept that we arent making top 4 even though a month back or so i was really confident that we'd comfortably finish top 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 point gap can be closed but we arent capable of going on a run of wins. We honestly arent, we havent won 3 games in a row this season at all and we're inconsistent. I've just come to accept that we arent making top 4 even though a month back or so i was really confident that we'd comfortably finish top 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would look at those 3 seasons of failure as learning curves for the club. The team will almost certainly be in a much better position for someone to take over and steer us to success (whether that's mourinho or someone else idk).

I just looked at the table and we are actually 6 points behind ffs :frown:

Not looking too bright....however we play Arsenal very soon at Old trafford I hope we can get our revenge and beat them 3-0 as well (one can only dream) :lol:
Its no more a period of transition thing . We have the players .potential stars as well .play them .take gambles be bold play the youth we need something like that .and i dont mean like what lvg has been doing not forced changes but actual gambles .play pereira play januzaj play keane these players are much more hungry than the first team .as far as lvg goes ? Our turn around this year? We have fewest players out of position right now thats why .martial may not be a winger but he can do it .mata is finally playing number 10 both fullbacks are really "fullbacks" and finally in the final third we dont put lofty crosses but ground ones which help players like rooney to finish

Where do i stand on lvg ? Hes done good in changing the team of the past to this and shown glimpses of the youth we have but now its time for someone else to take us further and i cant see him doing that .jose mourinho ? I dont know .i hate his result oriented football and antics but thr complain about him not bringing youth is kinda not entirely correct .chelsea have never bothered much about youth other than loaning them .madrid had a set of youth coming but were too young back then to be brought on (vasquez casmiero etc) inter too didnt have any special talent to be brought at that moment. So this might be his first real chance with a team that actually has a legendary youth system and has talents to be brought into the squad in the future

He damages the club image leaves the dressing room in a mess and usually has one player he neglects (emergency bells must be ringing for mata). Unless united play it smart put some stuff that control this or jose actually decides to change (he has been wanting this job for years now) I dont see too much good out .but if he does change we would have a prestine winner as our manager and with his recent statements he'd be ready to stay long if permitted .

Latest