The Student Room Group

My rejection doesn't make sense

Hi!

I just got a rejection from dundee because of my academic results. I'm from the Czech republic and my predicted grades from Maturita (something like A-levels) are 1,1,1,1,1 which is the best possible. My UKCAT is 2650. It really surprised me because I thought that it would be enough for Dundee. Or is it because I didn't submit any other grades like GCSE (we don't have anything like that)? The only other thing I submitted was my AP Biology score (which was 4 - I think it's still really good, only small percentage of people get 5 or 4).

The other schools where I applied are Glasgow and St. Andrews - is there even any chance?
Reply 1
Volunteering is important,too:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BULL14
Volunteering is important,too:smile:

I did that too but they don't even consider that when shortlisting applicants. From what I've understood they only look at grades and UKCAT score which was sufficient and I would even think that my scores were above average compared to other applicants.
Original post by barborazel
I did that too but they don't even consider that when shortlisting applicants. From what I've understood they only look at grades and UKCAT score which was sufficient and I would even think that my scores were above average compared to other applicants.

You could always email the admissions team asking for why they have rejected you and they will tell you why.
Reply 4
That only gives you 662 on your UKCAT, which is quite low for Dundee.

Maybe it's that what's let you down.

Your UKCAT makes up about 40% of your overall grade for interview consideration at Dundee; maybe it's dragged you down.
No UK University will look at 'just grades or scores' for Medicine.

Admissions to UK Medical Schools is regulated by the General Medical Council which lays down specific criteria ('professional behaviours') that the Universities must look for in recruits. Therefore, your Personal Statement is a crucial part of your application and this will decide if you get an interview or not.

Academic ability is not enough - you must show why you want a career in Medicine, and not just because you 'like science', and give examples from extensive work experience in clinical settings, and volunteer experience in care environments, that show your altruism, communication skills, ability and perseverance under pressure, and your experience in dealing with a wide variety of people, etc.

In my experience, many European applicants write very 'lightweight' statements that describe their school work and hobbies, but don't go into any detail about their relevant experience or their motivation to enter a caring profession.

Ask the Uni for feedback - they won't be able to do this until May, but it will give you pointers for how to improve your application for next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
No UK University will look at 'just grades or scores' for Medicine.

Admissions to UK Medical Schools is regulated by the General Medical Council which lays down specific criteria ('professional behaviours':wink: that the Universities must look for in recruits. Therefore, your Personal Statement is a crucial part of your application and this will decide if you get an interview or not.

Academic ability is not enough - you must show why you want a career in Medicine, and not just because you 'like science', and give examples from extensive work experience in clinical settings, and volunteer experience in care environments, that show your altruism, communication skills, ability and perseverance under pressure, and your experience in dealing with a wide variety of people, etc.

In my experience, many European applicants write very 'lightweight' statements that describe their school work and hobbies, but don't go into any detail about their relevant experience or their motivation to enter a caring profession.

Ask the Uni for feedback - they won't be able to do this until May, but it will give you pointers for how to improve your application for next year.

Actually quite a lot of universities only look at UKCAT and academics pre-interview, many don't take your personal statement into account until the interview - both Dundee and Aberdeen only look at UKCAT and academics prior to the interview.

But yeah as someone above said 662 may be below what Dundee are looking for - I got rejected form Dundee last year with the same ukcat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending