The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
I agree with you here, but... doing textbook exercises are fairly useless for that, in my opinion. You've just covered the chapter on IBP, for example, you know each question they're asking you is based on IBP. Half the battle with integration is knowing what approach to use, reduction, substitution, IBP, etc... plus the ones in the textbook don't require much though and lead you through it.

I'd prefer finding a third party resource that throws a ton of integrals at me and I've got to figure out what to do from there. Some of the textbook exercises at the very end of the chapter when they throw everything together at once is undoubtedly helpful as well, and I will attempt them.

I haven't yet started the integration chapter, and have no preliminary knowledge on the reduction formulae. Let's say I am on Exercise 4F (the one right after they teach you how to use reduction formulae). Do I begin the exercise, answer some questions and if it gets repetitive (without any interesting questions) just skip that question? I think this would be best. I do not think I should read through how to use the reduction formulae without practicing it before I move on to the mixed exercise (end of chapter exercises).

Also, the non-mixed exercise questions are only based on one new technique that was just learnt which is why they do not throw everything together at once. I guess past exam questions would be better for that kind of practice.
@Zacken You've absolutely nothing to worry about; just keep doing what you're doing! :thumbsup:

See you in a few months! :cool:
Reply 42
Original post by Indeterminate
@Zacken You've absolutely nothing to worry about; just keep doing what you're doing! :thumbsup:

See you in a few months! :cool:

Haha, it's good to hear that from the likes of you! :biggrin:

Cambridge is meant to give you the official offer this month, aren't they? Excited? :eek:
Nice to hear your story, good luck!
Original post by Zacken
Haha, it's good to hear that from the likes of you! :biggrin:

Cambridge is meant to give you the official offer this month, aren't they? Excited? :eek:

It's true! :yes:

For postgraduate study, you get to know if you've been accepted a while before they actually send you an offer, so it won't really be a surprise! :tongue:

I'm just wondering if they'll give me one of my two preferred colleges :hmmmm:
Reply 45
It's true! :yes:

For postgraduate study, you get to know if you've been accepted a while before they actually send you an offer, so it won't really be a surprise! :tongue:

I'm just wondering if they'll give me one of my two preferred colleges :hmmmm:

Ooh, where have you applied? :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Ooh, where have you applied? :biggrin:

Trinity (1st pref), Churchill (2nd pref).

I'm being optimistic but the postgrad system is just so unpredictable. I could end up anywhere! :eek:

You? :biggrin:
Reply 47
Trinity (1st pref), Churchill (2nd pref).

I'm being optimistic but the postgrad system is just so unpredictable. I could end up anywhere! :eek:

You? :biggrin:

Trinity Part III-er :shot:

King's. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Trinity Part III-er :shot:

King's. :biggrin:

:laugh: But they definitely won't give me Trinity :no:

King's is awesome! :biggrin:
Original post by Duckssss
@Zacken , you're going to play such a big part in the Ds and Es this guy is going to get in his exams. He's going to replicate everything you do and he'll come out with **** grades because he doesn't learn Maths like you do. He's probably a maths newbie and won't know how to understand maths as opposed to memorising maths

It's really interesting how I am gonna get from taking A2 A-level Mathematics 3 years earlier at 100% UMS, to getting Ds and Es. :biggrin:

You are quite the troll..
Reply 50
Original post by PlayerBB
Nice to hear your story, good luck!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 51

I'm not really meant/allowed to be deleting posts, but I'll make an exception for you.
Original post by Zacken
I'm not really meant/allowed to be deleting posts, but I'll make an exception for you.

Powers are meant to be used
tHIS^^

Get a life
Watching :ninja: #Inspiration

Original post by tinkerbella~
Lost count tbh.

Too bad yours will never be one of them.

Whoa, got no chill :laugh:
Congratulations! Just saying not everyone can get 7A*s and 1A without revision so seems like ur being a bit of a boaster :P lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
x

What course did you apply for? ::colondollar:

Congratulations on the offer at Cambridge!
I hope you get the grades you need in the end.

Personally, I'd put UCL>Warwick as a insurance anyday. Imo Warwick is overrated.
UCL = London :heart: + higher ranked internationally + is life if you don't get into Oxbridge/Imperial :biggrin: :lol:

Ask TeeEM!
Reply 57
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What course did you apply for? ::colondollar:

Congratulations on the offer at Cambridge!
I hope you get the grades you need in the end.

Personally, I'd put UCL>Warwick as a insurance anyday. Imo Warwick is overrated.
UCL = London :heart: + higher ranked internationally + is life if you don't get into Oxbridge/Imperial :biggrin: :lol:

Ask TeeEM!

Thank you! :biggrin:

I would agree with you for the UCL thing if I wasn't applying for maths, for which the Warwick course is better/more rigorous. (imo) :tongue:
Original post by Jordan\
wow unfollowed

Init blud
Zacken no one gives a **** bout ur road blud. Im gna make one for the bants now, everyone tune in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Init blud
Zacken no one gives a **** bout ur road blud. Im gna make one for the bants now, everyone tune in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'I was getting into Cambridge: STEP by STEP, but then...
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_nwt1n6Q7Qa1ufre67o1_400.jpg'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending