The Student Room Group

A2 Art Anybody?

So I have just received the breif for the A2 exam,Truth,Fantasy and Fiction any ideas anyone>
Original post by LottyGreen
So I have just received the breif for the A2 exam,Truth,Fantasy and Fiction any ideas anyone>

This may not be of any use at all because I'm not in A2 however, for AS currently, one of our themes is beneath our feet (what I chose out of the options). I'm taking AQA and you're taking Edexcel I believe? Anyway, for fantasy I think that you could look at parallel worlds - explore opposites and the underworld etc. You could look at Tim Burton's work in Alice in Wonderland and fairies/monsters etc. anything that is not real I suppose haha.

I think that for truth, you could look at transformation of faces etc.
Try this link :smile:
http://www.art2day.co.uk/exams-2016.html - it has your theme on it plus ideas!

I hope I helped!

Matt
Original post by TSRMatt
This may not be of any use at all because I'm not in A2 however, for AS currently, one of our themes is beneath our feet (what I chose out of the options). I'm taking AQA and you're taking Edexcel I believe? Anyway, for fantasy I think that you could look at parallel worlds - explore opposites and the underworld etc. You could look at Tim Burton's work in Alice in Wonderland and fairies/monsters etc. anything that is not real I suppose haha.

I hope I helped!

Matt

omg that website is amazing! it has my topic on as well and and spotted an artist on there that could help :smile: thank you matt and good luck with ur exam too :hugs: x
Original post by CoolCavy
omg that website is amazing! it has my topic on as well and and spotted an artist on there that could help :smile: thank you matt and good luck with ur exam too :hugs: x

No worries! haha, thank you x
One of the vaguest topics I've heard of, but I guess that's good cause you have lots of room for interpretation. I'm currently doing Energy, power and dynamism for my as exam and it's a pretty good match cause I like doing expressive stuff and the topic is pretty broad as well.
Truth, fantasy and fiction seems trickier as truth and fantasy are polar opposites so perhaps implementing some double meanings into your work might be a good idea. Considering you're doing A2 I'm sure you've heard this advice but It will probably be a good idea to stick to your favourite style of art, e.g. I like to draw or paint land/street scapes in an illustrative but detailed fashion so when I had to do responses to Stanley Donwood's linoprints, I took pictures of streets, drew them out in as much detail as possible and incorporated elements of his work, namely wiggly lines on the streets to indicate flooding as well as meteors coming down from the sky. So, basically, if there is a way to do a response to an artist whilst not steering away from your style, you shuold do that, instead of forcing the style of the artist onto yourself.

You might wanna make up the vague big picture of your final piece now, so your sketchbook doesn't beet around the bush 2 much but of course don't limit yourself to it and alter it when you find other, more suitable stuff. I remember doing several 180s in my coursework, but I'm keeping it more real this time with a clearer general premis to all of my responses and other stuff.

If, like me, you like doing landscapes, I guess stuff like this might be suitable:

Other than that I heard the name of Jenny Saville around this topic a lot. I guess her paintings have connotations to the theme, e.g. one of her paintings is a man with a vagina which I guess might link into it, but it's quite the roundabout. Also, I guess sexual fantasy might be a good groundwork but keep it lowkey. Other than that, I'd encourage you to look at Beksinski's work. You will find some imgur albums of his stuff and it might give you some ideas, it kind of sucks that I can't use him as inspiration for my topic, because it's fiction-based stuff that can be extended into anything you want, really. With that said, I'd guess your teacher already gave you some artists to look at based on your style and preferences. I don't know if any of this helps, it's just things that I'm thinking.
Reply 5
Original post by TSRMatt

I hope I helped!

Matt

Thank you so much these ideas have helped so much :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by synapse16
One of the vaguest topics I've heard of, but I guess that's good cause you have lots of room for interpretation. I'm currently doing Energy, power and dynamism for my as exam and it's a pretty good match cause I like doing expressive stuff and the topic is pretty broad as well.
Truth, fantasy and fiction seems trickier as truth and fantasy are polar opposites so perhaps implementing some double meanings into your work might be a good idea. Considering you're doing A2 I'm sure you've heard this advice but It will probably be a good idea to stick to your favourite style of art, e.g. I like to draw or paint land/street scapes in an illustrative but detailed fashion so when I had to do responses to Stanley Donwood's linoprints, I took pictures of streets, drew them out in as much detail as possible and incorporated elements of his work, namely wiggly lines on the streets to indicate flooding as well as meteors coming down from the sky. So, basically, if there is a way to do a response to an artist whilst not steering away from your style, you shuold do that, instead of forcing the style of the artist onto yourself.

You might wanna make up the vague big picture of your final piece now, so your sketchbook doesn't beet around the bush 2 much but of course don't limit yourself to it and alter it when you find other, more suitable stuff. I remember doing several 180s in my coursework, but I'm keeping it more real this time with a clearer general premis to all of my responses and other stuff.

If, like me, you like doing landscapes, I guess stuff like this might be suitable:

Other than that I heard the name of Jenny Saville around this topic a lot. I guess her paintings have connotations to the theme, e.g. one of her paintings is a man with a vagina which I guess might link into it, but it's quite the roundabout. Also, I guess sexual fantasy might be a good groundwork but keep it lowkey. Other than that, I'd encourage you to look at Beksinski's work. You will find some imgur albums of his stuff and it might give you some ideas, it kind of sucks that I can't use him as inspiration for my topic, because it's fiction-based stuff that can be extended into anything you want, really. With that said, I'd guess your teacher already gave you some artists to look at based on your style and preferences. I don't know if any of this helps, it's just things that I'm thinking.

----> Thankyou so much this has helped a lot,I used jenny saville in my previous project as i did a project on special effects make up and facial distortion so she was brought into it,brilliant artist is she :smile: Anyway thank you so much for the tips and ideas they are really helping :biggrin:
Reply 7
Does anyone have the AQA ART CRAFT AND DESIGN EXAM 2016 Paper because i have lost mine and i have looked everywhere online ! please help me !

Quick Reply

Latest