The Student Room Group

Career in the Medical Field

Hi, I am at the moment slightly torn between what the best decision would be for myself and my career.
I would enjoy Medicine, and although I will have to do an access course beforehand to get to apply to a Uni to complete it.
The other choice that does interest me is Diagnostic Radiography. I believe especially in the emergency department for accident type radiography interests me, as originally, well still would if i could become a Paramedic.

There is a Uni (Birmingham) who do the radiography part time study full time - 3 years, part time - 6 years. This would suit best for me due to my health conditions which I have.

The difficult part is that I do have a visual impairment. I am not blind, but it is a result of my health, where eyes get tired very easily, and it is a case of managing and pacing, as with the rest of the fatigue with my body I get.

This does make it difficult that visually i don't know if i would cope with the Radiography side, and the Medicine as in GP would be much better and easier to manage my health. However it is pretty intense the medicine course as there is so much to learn etc. I am concerned I would get too bored too quickly with the radiography, where as the medicine can lead to all sorts of different departments etc. Plus I believe the main needs for good eye sight is inserting canulas and needles...of which would be fine for me, that wouldn't be an issue.

Any help as to which direction to go in. I have been struggling for quite a few months now, and the open days at the Uni's i am looking at aren't for a long while yet. the nearest to me i am not sure if in the medicine course if they accept the Access to Science year i am aiming for next year. It's all quite a conundrum!!

Thanks in advance!
Original post by PaddyVicks
Hi, I am at the moment slightly torn between what the best decision would be for myself and my career.
I would enjoy Medicine, and although I will have to do an access course beforehand to get to apply to a Uni to complete it.
The other choice that does interest me is Diagnostic Radiography. I believe especially in the emergency department for accident type radiography interests me, as originally, well still would if i could become a Paramedic.

There is a Uni (Birmingham) who do the radiography part time study full time - 3 years, part time - 6 years. This would suit best for me due to my health conditions which I have.

The difficult part is that I do have a visual impairment. I am not blind, but it is a result of my health, where eyes get tired very easily, and it is a case of managing and pacing, as with the rest of the fatigue with my body I get.

This does make it difficult that visually i don't know if i would cope with the Radiography side, and the Medicine as in GP would be much better and easier to manage my health. However it is pretty intense the medicine course as there is so much to learn etc. I am concerned I would get too bored too quickly with the radiography, where as the medicine can lead to all sorts of different departments etc. Plus I believe the main needs for good eye sight is inserting canulas and needles...of which would be fine for me, that wouldn't be an issue.

Any help as to which direction to go in. I have been struggling for quite a few months now, and the open days at the Uni's i am looking at aren't for a long while yet. the nearest to me i am not sure if in the medicine course if they accept the Access to Science year i am aiming for next year. It's all quite a conundrum!!

Thanks in advance!

As far as I m aware medicine degrees dont accept access to science courses, although from a quick search it appears radiography courses do. Have you considered speaking to birmingham about your visual impairment as to what support they may be able to provide to help you make an informed decision? And maybe if you can speak to someone in relation to occupational health too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.
Spoke to the one which is most practical as the uni isnt too far from me.

Basically boils down to they will accept access course science based for the diagnostic radiography, but to do medicine I will have to do a levels in science next year for two years then apply for medicine. I think the best option is to ask for work experience in both careers to understand the logistics of both jobs. I am concerned I would be stuck a little more in D.R as I know in medicine you can go from department to department exploring medicine, but radiography not as much? Anyone know?

Thanks for the reply :smile: x
Thanks for your reply.
Spoke to the one which is most practical as the uni isnt too far from me.

Basically boils down to they will accept access course science based for the diagnostic radiography, but to do medicine I will have to do a levels in science next year for two years then apply for medicine. I think the best option is to ask for work experience in both careers to understand the logistics of both jobs. I am concerned I would be stuck a little more in D.R as I know in medicine you can go from department to department exploring medicine, but radiography not as much? Anyone know?

Thanks for the reply :smile: x

Why dont you take an interest in nursing, they accept access courses and plus, you could become a nurse practitioner which is basically a doctor. I think it would be much suited for you, you can also go from department to department and its far more rewarding in my opinion as you have more of a connection with patients as you see them more than doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Im not as interested in nursing, but actually practically i dont think it would be viable. I have a guide dog as well by my side, and health wise i wouldnt be able to practically manage patients which is required of nurses as they have a much more hands on approach than doctors (depending on type of course) x
Im not as interested in nursing, but actually practically i dont think it would be viable. I have a guide dog as well by my side, and health wise i wouldnt be able to practically manage patients which is required of nurses as they have a much more hands on approach than doctors (depending on type of course) x

I m really sorry to say this but i would be unsure as to how any clinical environment would feel about a guide dog and the practicalities surrounding it, if you were to do a medical degree you would have to do clinical and foundation years in various settings so although having a difficulty means they have to do their best to make reasonable adjustments there'd be a limit to what they can make, so speak to the universities and their placement departments about what is and isnt possible so you know before applying.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I m really sorry to say this but i would be unsure as to how any clinical environment would feel about a guide dog and the practicalities surrounding it, if you were to do a medical degree you would have to do clinical and foundation years in various settings so although having a difficulty means they have to do their best to make reasonable adjustments there'd be a limit to what they can make, so speak to the universities and their placement departments about what is and isnt possible so you know before applying.

know that physiotherapists and occupational therpists have guidr dogs and they fit into their life pretty well. Looking at the GMC it may be mostly on an individual basis, and as long as the life saving treatment, CPR and fluids rltreatment are practical and not hindered by my disabilities (which i believe are not) then there shouldnt be too much of a problem in my eyes...despite the eyes being slightly wonky...

The main issues with a dog would be sterile areas, but of which only surgical areas which have been sterilised then that would likely be not an issue either. Reasonable adjustments for me would likely entail making an out of the way space for my dog, relieving area suitable for her and helping with some screen wording processes to aleviate too much overwhelming and tiredness for reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending