The Student Room Group

How Much Can You Bench Press?

Okay so I've been on a mission to increase my bench for like two months now by doing it 5 times a week and is it working? No, not really as in not more than the progress I was making when benching 2 times a week. I really want to be able to do 100kg for 10 reps, at the minute I can do 100kg for 1 and a cheat rep with someone spotting me and my heaviest "set of 10" is 80kg which I'm having difficulty increasing. About a year ago I started benching at 40kg for 10 reps then got up to 50kg in like a week or 2. Then I was doing sets at 60kg within month and 70kg within 2 more months... however I've been stuck on this 80kg mark for quite some time and the worst part is, I sometimes have days where It seems I've gotten weaker and can only do like 7 or 8 reps at 80kg lol. I see plenty of older guys at the gym who can do a set of 10 with 120kg or even 140kg... I'm wondering what kind of training is best to reach my goal and how has if affected your progress?
Reply 1
Smolov jr did magic for my bench but it's short term. Longer term you need to have a proper programme that works for you, you kind of have to learn that through trial and error. How you describe your training suggests you don't have real porgramming now which will limit you, you can get away with more initially but as you progress there needs to be mopre thought behind it
This game is a long time; got to programme sensible and be consistent.

My close grip bench PB is 115 paused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems like you've reached a plateau, try mixing it up and try out different chest exercises? Also focus on working your shoulders and triceps, 5 times a week seems excessive and may lead to injury, 2-3 times a week seems optimum.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Hey, I've been a personal trainer for 5 years and have seen this sort of thing so much! Clearly hit a plateau and increasing the weight just isnt giving a big enough stimulus to the muscles to grow. Lots of different techniques out there to progress and agree with all the comments on here. Try a few see what works and then mix it up again, on paper low reps high weight in considered the best way to increase strength but higher reps and lower weight has been shown to help (just a simple way to change it).

Good luck!
Get your volume from adding sets, not reps.

For you a good heavy workout would be something like 90x2 for 4 sets. A good medium workout would be 85x4 for 6 sets or something like that.
If you find that you're doing less reps than the previous workout for bench try doing a deload week. So drop the weight by 10% and start again from there. You might start off doing 4 sets of 8 reps, then the next work out go for 4 sets of 10 reps. Once you reach 4 sets of 12 reps you can up the weight again. This is known as progressive overload.

5 times per week is too much really and you will be able to hit your goal simply by training bench twice week, this will allow recovery.

Don't forget to train the rest of the muscles, any muscular imbalances can lead to injuries and exercises such as overhead press, dumbbell bench and any other pressing exercises will assist you with training the muscles required to reach your goal.
Flat BB bench press - 100kg x 12 reps or 140kg x 1 rep.

Training chest Thursday or Friday so will record my set of 12 then. And will record the 140kg maybe monday/tuesday when i hit chest again.
Reply 8
About 2 whole bags of sugar in weight
Flat Bench around 2000 grams, not bad tbh
Original post by JavaScriptMaster

If you've stalled, deload for a week (so drop the workload by 50% for a week, halving all your normal weights while sticking with the same sets and reps is a good way to do this). After that week drop down to 75kg again, it'll seem like a step-back but you're taking one step back to take two steps forward, you'll surpass that 80kg if your training is efficient.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you've stalled, deload for a week (so drop the workload by 50% for a week, halving all your normal weights while sticking with the same sets and reps is a good way to do this). After that week drop down to 75kg again, it'll seem like a step-back but you're taking one step back to take two steps forward, you'll surpass that 80kg if your training is efficient.

very interesting... see sometimes I start a bench heavy workout on something like 60kg for loads of reps then 70kg and all the way up to 90 or 100, this would be like that but spread over a week I might give it a try
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
very interesting... see sometimes I start a bench heavy workout on something like 60kg for loads of reps then 70kg and all the way up to 90 or 100, this would be like that but spread over a week I might give it a try

The idea is more, take a week easy using half the weghts, then after that week continue with your usual routine but lower the weights a little compared to what you were using before. You should then notice some progress in the following weeks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest