Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to go to Cardiff Uni to study crimonology. It's a russel uni which is obviously a huge plus, and it's local so I COULD stay at home.
    Except I'm not sure I want to. I kind of want to experience the real student life of living without my parents etc and really get into my studies and become independant while doing so, but then obviously I wouldn't have as much money as I would living at home so I guess that would effect my freedom too.
    My question is, should I stay home to study at uni or move away? What did you guys do? Know anyway that moved away and regretted it or vice versa?
    Thanks for reading AND PLEASE COMMENT AN OPINION

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie98)
    I think I want to go to Cardiff Uni to study crimonology. It's a russel uni which is obviously a huge plus, and it's local so I COULD stay at home.
    Except I'm not sure I want to. I kind of want to experience the real student life of living without my parents etc and really get into my studies and become independant while doing so, but then obviously I wouldn't have as much money as I would living at home so I guess that would effect my freedom too.
    My question is, should I stay home to study at uni or move away? What did you guys do? Know anyway that moved away and regretted it or vice versa?
    What other unis do you have in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What other unis do you have in mind?
    Exceter, Manchester, Bristol, although these are just what I have in mind really
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Nothing to say you couldn't live in halls in Cardiff. I moved 3 hours away for uni and never had any regrets about that decision.

ReputationRep:
    True. I just wondered if it seemed pointless as I live fairly close (half an hours drive) so I wondered if it would be a waste of money?? Living expenses etc or would it be worth the experience?
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Nothing to say you couldn't live in halls in Cardiff. I moved 3 hours away for uni and never had any regrets about that decision.

ReputationRep:
    but did you ever wish you had more money that you could have had if you didn't have to spend it on accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermometer)
    but did you ever wish you had more money that you could have had if you didn't have to spend it on accomodation?
    Thats what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    They are good choices. How far is Cardiff uni from you?
    If Cardiff is the uni you really want to go to, you should go there.
    Literally a half hours drive. It is probably my first choice, but i'm not sure whether to move there or stay home, seeing as i live so close
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Not at all, I wisely choose the cheapest halls available and having the maximum loan meant I lived quite comfortably.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    True. I just wondered if it seemed pointless as I live fairly close (half an hours drive) so I wondered if it would be a waste of money?? Living expenses etc or would it be worth the experience?
    If you can afford to, I d say it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I wisely choose the cheapest halls available and having the maximum loan meant I lived quite comfortably.
    good to know. do you drive/have a car? atm I have the choice of either living at home and being able to buy a car, or living in halls and not have a car (i am fine with public transport, but having a car would also be convenient in many instances)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    good to know. do you drive/have a car? atm I have the choice of either living at home and being able to buy a car, or living in halls and not have a car (i am fine with public transport, but having a car would also be convenient in many instances)
    No I can't drive but the buses are pretty decent so I haven't needed to.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford to, I d say it's worth it.
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    nobody says that you have to live away for all three years, but for the first year, you'd bond a lot more if you were in halls like anybody else.

Later, you can choose to move back when you have a group of friends, or share a house with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    nobody says that you have to live away for all three years, but for the first year, you'd bond a lot more if you were in halls like anybody else.

Later, you can choose to move back when you have a group of friends, or share a house with them.
    Seeing as most people have said its better to atleast start out in the halls, im definitely swaying towards that. Thanks!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.