Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about doing one, but how are they? How is your life like in general?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I am thinking about doing one, but how are they? How is your life like in general?
    You generally work as a regular junior or trainee employee with day release every week or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    You generally work as a regular junior or trainee employee with day release every week or something.
    Did you do an apprenticeship? if so, would you recommend it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Wwould you recommend it?
    Depends on what you want to get out of it.

Aren't you doing a degree?

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently doing an apprenticeship in IT and its alright not too bad - the pay is abit shite but you could get better , it kind of depends on if you wanna work and stuff but yeah they are good. Although i am currently applying for uni instead of carrying on with my apprenticeship :P

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to get out of it.

Aren't you doing a degree?
    Well I want to get into media, and I have no idea if I want to go to uni or do an apprenticeship... I am leaning towards an apprenticeship but I don't know what it is like

Nope, I am still doing A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gertautas)
    i'm currently doing an apprenticeship in IT and its alright not too bad - the pay is abit shite but you could get better , it kind of depends on if you wanna work and stuff but yeah they are good. Although i am currently applying for uni instead of carrying on with my apprenticeship :P
    So you don't like your apprenticeship? Is it good in terms of social life etc..?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well I want to get into media, and I have no idea if I want to go to uni or do an apprenticeship... I am leaning towards an apprenticeship but I don't know what it is like

You work at a lower wage and have training for some professional qualification delivered through a local apprenticeship provider.

So you don't like your apprenticeship? Is it good in terms of social life etc..?
    An apprenticeship is nothing but a job + training. No social life besides the class you have and of course any plans made with local employees.

ReputationRep:
    You work at a lower wage and have training for some professional qualification delivered through a local apprenticeship provider.

An apprenticeship is nothing but a job + training. No social life besides the class you have and of course any plans made with local employees.
    Ugh, that sounds so boring. Uni sounds better but I don't feel I should waste 9k for three years when I could get paid for learning and working.
    Idk what to do
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Ugh, that sounds so boring. Uni sounds better but I don't feel I should waste 9k for three years when I could get paid for learning and working.
    Idk what to do
    You could find a higher paid entry level job and possibly work on media skills in your own time.

You could recognize that uni debt isn't real debt and not worry about it and go.

Not all apprenticeships are the same and the level 3, 4 stuff are paid higher. If you're doing A levels, you should aim for those.

ReputationRep:
    Nah no social life which is why im leaving and going to uni hahah , literally i thought i might make friends etc but nothing really its full on work pretty much , to be honest with you i don't like my apprenticeship no but you may get a better one !

ReputationRep:
    You could find a higher paid entry level job and possibly work on media skills in your own time.

You could recognize that uni debt isn't real debt and not worry about it and go.

Not all apprenticeships are the same and the level 3, 4 stuff are paid higher. If you're doing A levels, you should aim for those.
    But you still need to pay back money once you get a job and I would save and make money when doing an apprenticeship but I still want to have a social life.
    Yeah, I will look out for the higher paying ones Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    But you still need to pay back money once you get a job and I would save and make money when doing an apprenticeship but I still want to have a social life.
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 378
Size:  8.9 KB

Doesn't really break the bank!

You can certainly have a social life while doing an apprenticeships. There just won't be socs as there are in Uni. You'll have your colleagues, friends to make plans with and you can use sites like meetup to find like-minded individuals at groups.

No worries.

ReputationRep:
    me again, yeh maybe if you land into the right one you will be able to get a social life etc , but at my one there isn't any really unless you wanna hang with fellow workers , which at 18 i dont want to be doing haha

ReputationRep:

Hi there! You should take a look at some specific media related apprenticeships on the gov.uk website here. There's also a cool video here which includes stories from people on real media apprenticeships - their job titles at the end are pretty impressive!

I've worked at media/marketing companies in the past and the social life is generally pretty good though it obviously varies from company to company. You'll probably get a sense of how good the social life will be by just walking through the office during the interview! How chatty everyone is, if they look close to you in age, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 378
Size:  8.9 KB

Doesn't really break the bank!

You can certainly have a social life while doing an apprenticeships. There just won't be socs as there are in Uni. You'll have your colleagues, friends to make plans with and you can use sites like meetup to find like-minded individuals at groups.

No worries.
    This is really helpful, thanks again
    So which one would you recommend then uni or an apprenticehsip?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    This is really helpful, thanks again
    So which one would you recommend then uni or an apprenticehsip?
    The decision is up to you. And my career aspirations require I do a degree.

I just wanted to make the idea of uni debt less scary, assure you that you could have a life with an apprenticeship but also remind you that Universities do uniquely have societies which will host events and activities.

ReputationRep:

I don't agree with this at all! I'm doing an apprenticeship at the moment and have just finished it. I've been given a full time position & still go out every weekend. Mine was the kind where you do your "work" online rather than having a day a week where you go to college or whatever. It's really relaxed and I've met loads of friends here. They don't treat me like an apprentice at all! I've only been here a year and gone from minimum wage to an almost £4000 increase!

I'd rather do that than uni where I'm getting myself into debt but still having to work to be able to pay rent and stuff. I chose this rather than uni & I have never regretted it. (Mines in digital marketing & I wanted to do media & communications at uni)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethwalker85)
    I don't agree with this at all! I'm doing an apprenticeship at the moment and have just finished it. I've been given a full time position & still go out every weekend. Mine was the kind where you do your "work" online rather than having a day a week where you go to college or whatever. It's really relaxed and I've met loads of friends here. They don't treat me like an apprentice at all! I've only been here a year and gone from minimum wage to an almost £4000 increase!

I'd rather do that than uni where I'm getting myself into debt but still having to work to be able to pay rent and stuff. I chose this rather than uni & I have never regretted it. (Mines in digital marketing & I wanted to do media & communications at uni)
    oh ok! As someone else said on this thread, they said that theh didnt have a social life. So I gues it differs from different people
    Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gertautas)
    What type of IT apprenticeship you doing, I beed looking at doing a IT one, Why do you want to go uni if you doing an apprenticeship?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.