The Student Room Group

WHICH ONE IS EASIER:Geography OR History

Hi.I would like to know which one is easier.Geography or History.
Which one involves more work?

1)I enjoy both of them
2)I get the same results in both subjects

Help?

EDIT TWO YRS LATER:This thread is 2 years old.And if wondering I did History and now I'm doing alvls
Edit: Did history in alvls. It was actually enjoyable but hard. In Uni now:smile: Good luck people
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I do both, I would say history is harder. The exam technique (I'm with OCR) makes it tricky to get the marks, even if you know the content. Saying that, Geography probably involves more rope learning of facts and lots of case studies, but the actual exam is a bit more straight forward. hope this helps!
Geography is easier
Reply 3
GCSE - History is much easier to get the hang of. Less to learn and more consistent marking criteria/answering structure.
I take both and I find history much harder but more interesting.
Do History. Geography is for tossers who like colouring in.
Reply 6
Essays vs case studies, in a nutshell :lol:
If you want to write until your hand falls off in an exam, take history
If you want to study a load of case studies, 90% of which won't come up in an exam, take geography

History = quite hard but quite interesting
Geography = ridiculously easy content, but lots of it, very boring
Reply 8
I do both history and geography and I personally find history more difficult as there is a lot of content. Also there is a lot of writing and if u don't like English then never pick history.

Geography is quite easy and interesting but then again a lot of case studies to remember. The coursework for history is basically source analysis but it is quite difficult compared with geography coursework.
I took history and I liked it, I got an A* in the end. The coursework was basically the same thing over and over again (I found it very difficult though) but the exams themselves were fine.
I think you should pick geography if you are more interested in science subjects and/or want to do something with science in the future. I think that geography also helps as extra revision at science GCSE because many of the things you learn about in the geography syllabus cross-over into the science syllabus!
But, if you are more interested in the humanities, English lang/lit, you should go for history. History also helps if you wish to go down the psychology, law etc route as you do a LOT of essay writing!! My hand felt like it was going to fall off in the history exams!!
Ultimately, it is your choice and I wish you luck for the future!
Geography - a few basic principles will enable you to breeze through most of it.

History - you have to know, remember, and be able to write about a lot more facts.
Hi there!

I did History last year and achieved A's in my mocks, but in my final exam I achieved a C overall. There is a lot of stuff you would have to remember for History, such as dates, people, etc.

I haven't heard much about Geography, but I hear that there is coursework, and there was no coursework when I was doing my exam.

From what I can see, geography is probably a lot easier than history.

Good luck!

Leo
I always liked History better. The modules that I did in A levels were so interesting. Geo was okay but never really interests me more than History.
Original post by tamil fever

1)I enjoy both of them

Help?

Geography is an extremely easy GCSE. Literally need no knowledge - just common sense. The only stuff you have to learn is 2-3 points for about 8 case studies that you'll have to remember for the exam.
I took both. Edexcel for History and AQA for Geography. Personally, I love both. History can be really interesting but it requires you to be really comprehensive while Geography can be equally fascinating but doesn't require as much in-depth knowledge.
I took Geography GCSE and got two A*'s without re-sits. I took History A-level and got a mixture of B's and C's with 1 re-sit. Definitely go for Geography. I regret not taking it A-level.
Original post by tamil fever

1)I enjoy both of them

Help?

Wait, is this for your A level options. Because I'm then in the same position as you :tongue:.
According to the guardian geography was the harder one! Personally, I find geography to be one of the easiest subjects and it's really interesting, so I am bias but geography..
Reply 18
Geograpgy is w ay easier yeasier to do
Reply 19
Geography is probably easier but History is WAAAAAAY more interesting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending