Economist 2: "Nah"
    I prefer Economic History.

ReputationRep:
    Me : I agree! It's a stupid field

Also me: *continues to study it

ReputationRep:
    that's austerity for you

ReputationRep:
    "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." - Isaac Newton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    that's austerity for you
    How dare we not continue spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    austerity > hurts poor working people
    taxing the rich > they cant buy as many sports cars

so why do we have austerity instead of temporarily taxing the rich higher until the economy recovers?

ReputationRep:
    austerity > hurts poor working people
    taxing the rich > they cant buy as many sports cars

so why do we have austerity instead of temporarily taxing the rich higher until the economy recovers?
    You're right, taxation solves everything. I mean look at what happened in France when Hollande tried to tax the rich. Swell.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, taxation solves everything. I mean look at what happened in France when Hollande tried to tax the rich. Swell.
    *completely ignores the collapse of greece because of austerity*

austerity > hurts poor working peopletaxing the rich > they cant buy as many sports carsso why do we have austerity instead of temporarily taxing the rich higher until the economy recovers?
    Because the rich will go somewhere else, and we get NO tax from them

*completely ignores other reasons such as the debt Greece hid, bad employment practices, black economy, rapidly ageing population and generous pensions, ridiculously large public sector and corruption...*

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Economist 1: "Maybe we should rethink our models."

Economist 2: "Nah"
    I prefer Economic History.
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    At least they are clearly optimistic...
    (Original post by Summertime99)
    Me : I agree! It's a stupid field

Also me: *continues to study it
    that's austerity for you
    (Original post by chemting)
    "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." - Isaac Newton

Lol I find these arguments kind of silly. Economics is not accurate at forecasting, yes, I think everybody agrees on that. The field attempts to predict decisions humans make predicated on the assumption that we are all rational. The problem with Economics is that we make a lot of assumptions in our models. But as the field develops and progresses are models ought to become more and more accurate. If everyone gave up now and didn't even try to further the field we won't be any nearer to better understanding our economy. Duh.

ReputationRep:
    we barely get tax from them anyway loooooooool

ReputationRep:
    Economic History 101: there's more to the status quo than the last decade.

ReputationRep:
    we barely get tax from them anyway loooooooool
    Who fault is that? You can tax the rich £1 for every £1 they earn, it will make no difference as long as tax loopholes are around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lol I find these arguments kind of silly. Economics is not accurate at forecasting, yes, I think everybody agrees on that. The field attempts to predict decisions humans make predicated on the assumption that we are all rational. The problem with Economics is that we make a lot of assumptions in our models. But as the field develops and progresses are models ought to become more and more accurate. If everyone gave up now and didn't even try to further the field we won't be any nearer to better understanding our economy. Duh.
    Economic History - the hint is very much in the name.

ReputationRep:
    *completely ignores other reasons such as the debt Greece hid, bad employment practices, black economy, rapidly ageing population and generous pensions, ridiculously large public sector and corruption...*
    its bad employees? it was a combination of the rich not paying tax and running a 200% deficit budget
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    So your solution is to worship the ultra-wealthy and do everything possible to appease them? You seem to be advocating allowing the wealthy to bully the rest of society.

ReputationRep:
    Who fault is that? You can tax the rich £1 for every £1 they earn, it will make no difference as long as tax loopholes are around.
    the rich, because the rich run the country and have put /left those loopholes there

ReputationRep:
    the rich, because the rich run the country and have put /left those loopholes there
    Oh, dear. Do you use tesco value aluminium foil for your tin foil hat? You must because 'OMFGJUSUEROR THE RICHERZ ARE OUTZ TO GETS ME'.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    So your solution is to worship the ultra-wealthy and do everything possible to appease them? You seem to be advocating allowing the wealthy to bully the rest of society.
    No, that is not my solution. I am stating a fact - tax them too much, and they will go somewhere else.

We need a minimum global tax on the rich

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.