Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently buying a laptop, both for personal reasons but also because I saw this on the Cambridge uni website (which is my first choice):

"Therefore it may be useful to have a personal laptop. A basic laptop is sufficient since substantial computation can always be performed on University machines."

However, I cannot find any information about the OS used for the degree. Will buying an OS X device versus Windows advantage/disadvantage me in any way? Also, a bit off-topic, but which do you (Current students) prefer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguinsarefunny)
    I'm currently buying a laptop, both for personal reasons but also because I saw this on the Cambridge uni website (which is my first choice):

"Therefore it may be useful to have a personal laptop. A basic laptop is sufficient since substantial computation can always be performed on University machines."

However, I cannot find any information about the OS used for the degree. Will buying an OS X device versus Windows advantage/disadvantage me in any way? Also, a bit off-topic, but which do you (Current students) prefer?
    I'm somewhat undecided (also an offer holder). I think I'll go for a MacBook, dual boot Windows, and virtual machine Linux. Alternatively, I might get a decent Windows desktop, and a cheap Linux laptop (or something else entirely).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by penguinsarefunny)

Your personal laptop OS is not really relevant.

And on a sample size of one, Jake Wright used a Mac (mostly)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vz8gOKCCeU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I'm somewhat undecided (also an offer holder). I think I'll go for a MacBook, dual boot Windows, and virtual machine Linux. Alternatively, I might get a decent Windows desktop, and a cheap Linux laptop (or something else entirely).
    Just to play devil's advocate, it is possible to triple boot newer macbook's with little to no difficulty

Outside of that, I may not have done it at Cambridge, but CompSci degrees have a tendency to be not reliant on one OS or another.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.