The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
+ve. As long as you can put the time in.
Just had my selection day. It was great fun and pretty long. Interview, some team problem solving exercises (though these apparently didn't count to our application) and some hockey to finish. I had a great time and await notification of how I did :smile:
Reply 82
Scimitar_vc
Just had my selection day. It was great fun and pretty long. Interview, some team problem solving exercises (though these apparently didn't count to our application) and some hockey to finish. I had a great time and await notification of how I did :smile:

There's a selection day?!
Reply 83
Yeh each UAS is differently. Some have an open day which is a chance for the Officers and studes to scout round in an informal environment and see who's who and weed out any stunners or waste of space studes then move onto an interview week. Some do the interviews then have the open day for successful candidates. Some do it all on a day and do other stuff. Really does vary - some UASs even have their snr students on the interview boards!
Reply 84
Quiet_Mason
There's a selection day?!

Looks like I didn't need to worry, apparently all the "well done" e-mails have been sent and...I didnt get one. I'm quite supprised, I thought it all went really well, so I'm going to try to find out what went wrong. Got some serious thinking to do now, if I'm not good enough for UAS I'm clearly not good enough for the RAF. So yea, lots to think about.
Reply 85
Dont give up!!! :smile:
Quiet_Mason
Got some serious thinking to do now, if I'm not good enough for UAS I'm clearly not good enough for the RAF. So yea, lots to think about.

No offence to UAS folks, but a UAS is not the real RAF and their selection procedures are much less rigorous and standardised. I was rejected by the UAS in both my first and second years at Uni, then reported to them on day 1 of my third year as an APO on a cadetship.

You are probably right to try and get some feedback and do a bit of thinking, but don't beat yourself up about it. It certainly doesn't mean that you aren't or can't be RAF Officer material.
Reply 87
Emails don't always arrive at hotmail addresses from RAF computers....
Reply 88
InaSpin
Emails don't always arrive at hotmail addresses from RAF computers....

Stupid question, but is it an RAF computer?

I'm not resting hopes on that anyway, I'm going to ring up and see what they say.
Reply 89
Yes it will be.
Reply 90
InaSpin
Yes it will be.

Having said that I've had two e-mails off them already.
Reply 91
I think you are either in the final sift (if they do it that way) or you have been accepted.
Certainly with YUAS, if you get the go ahead to get the medical forms sorted you're in!
Reply 93
so has everyone that has got into YUAS this year already heard?
I haven't but they told me wait 10 days from last Tuesday!
Reply 95
do u mean you havent got in or you havent heard?
Haven't heard.
I've got in provided I pass the medical :smile:
Reply 98
Hi havent got an interview till 7 of novermber (am applying for OUAS) and am worrying about what they expect. Being in the RAF hasnt been a life long dream. I decided a couple years back. As for this i didnt know what i should of been doing to prepare and because of this i dont have much of an active background as far as sports teams and clubs and DoE. I was a working child and didnt really concentrate on schooling much. I am now at uni studying engineering and have been to RAF Halton to start my sponsorship application which i have a filter interview for on the 20 Nov.

Do I have much of a chance of getting accepted as from what I have read on the forums here makes it soun like I wont really meet there 'requirements'.
Also any interview tips seeing as i think i may be trying to explain why I havent done lots of activities and clubs etc?

I am very keen to join but fear that my past will restrict this.

thanks for any help
Reply 99
Also I amin my second year of uni now, with this being my first real sign of interest in joining also cause me problems?

Quick Reply

Latest