The Student Room Group

Quitting caffeine has been the best decisions I've made this week

I quit caffeine cold turkey on the weekend just gone and I honestly feel so much better for it.

I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day and maybe another 3 cups of tea if I was really going for it!

The first day was hell, had a headache all day, but after that it was fine.

I've had so much energy, my head has been clearer, I don't get bloated anymore, it has been rather miraculous!

If anyone else is feeling sluggish, and they think coffee might be the culprit, give going without a try and see how you feel, it has worked amazingly for me!
I don't drink coffee, tea or consume animal products so my life's a bundle of laughs :colonhash:
Don't even remember the last time I had coffee tbh. Def not in 2016
I don't think quitting caffeine made much of a difference for me but I wasn't as addicted as you and I probably ruined my sleep schedule at around the same time...
Reply 4
Caffeine messes me up so bad - I avoid energy drinks and coffee (though I hate coffee and tea) entirely because of it.

I did start getting hooked to it a few weeks back but cut it out before it was too late; and I do feel a lot better.

This was a good choice - caffeine is a drug (albeit not as dangerous as let's say alcohol, but still not great for you) and you should feel proud for giving it up.
Reply 5
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I don't think quitting caffeine made much of a difference for me but I wasn't as addicted as you and I probably ruined my sleep schedule at around the same time...

I think it does depend on the level of adiction and also your constitution, I don't think everyone gets as badly affected by it, but I think it was definitely having a considerable effect on me!

I literally felt like I was rapidly aging, so I'm really glad that I found out what was wrong with me, at least part of the problem anyway!
I like caffeine, good for the gym for me. 400mg a day is the suggested max dose, that's 4 cups of coffee. Good to take a few days break from it every few weeks though.
I'm currently experiencing a nasty caffeine withdrawal on a retreat in rural Brittany. Day 2 now. It is reassuring to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hate to think what heroin withdrawal is like.
Reply 8
Original post by JPO92
I quit caffeine cold turkey on the weekend just gone and I honestly feel so much better for it.

I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day and maybe another 3 cups of tea if I was really going for it!

The first day was hell, had a headache all day, but after that it was fine.

I've had so much energy, my head has been clearer, I don't get bloated anymore, it has been rather miraculous!

If anyone else is feeling sluggish, and they think coffee might be the culprit, give going without a try and see how you feel, it has worked amazingly for me!

good man that's a positive life choice. never been into caffeine myself.
Reply 9
Original post by Quantex
I'm currently experiencing a nasty caffeine withdrawal on a retreat in rural Brittany. Day 2 now. It is reassuring to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hate to think what heroin withdrawal is like.

You'll get there, and with any luck you'll feel amazing after!

I'll tell you what, I thought I'd miss it, but I genuinely don't.

So so so glad it wasn't heroin I was trying to get off D:.

Quick Reply

Latest