Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind which degree I study however I would like to know which has better prospects for Investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    I don't mind which degree I study however I would like to know which has better prospects for Investment banking.
    Both equally well-regarded as subjects, makes no difference.

Most people interested in investment banking prefer Economics. However, I'd be tempted to do Computer Science as you'd have more transferable skills outside of banking - and it'd at least make you seem a bit different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, those are two very different careers!

I would personally choose Computer Science, as there is a lot going for it. But at the same time, economics will net you a great deal if you hit the sweet spot.

ReputationRep:
    economics > everything

jk, do what you love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    economics > everything

jk, do what you love
    Pretty much this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrack)
    Well, those are two very different careers!

I would personally choose Computer Science, as there is a lot going for it. But at the same time, economics will net you a great deal if you hit the sweet spot.
    Same I feel as though Comp Sci has better fall back options also the majority of Universities requirement for BSc Economics degree is evidently higher

ReputationRep:
    Maths > all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    Maths > all
    Computer Science is effectively maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    economics > everything

jk, do what you love
    I guess if there is no actual difference then it primarily depends on this for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    Same I feel as though Comp Sci has better fall back options also the majority of Universities requirement for BSc Economics degree is evidently higher
    Indeed. There is also a lot and I mean a LOT of careers in computer science right now, and the market is only expanding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    Maths > all
    Lol but you don't even do a straight maths degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    Requirements for courses at university are often a reflection of the popularity of the course - more popular courses have higher requirements - rather than being a reflection of the absolute difficulty of the subject. Do not assume Economics is harder than Computer Science because of higher entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Makes no difference whatsoever for IB.

I'd echo whoever said CS opens up more doors in case you strike out with finance or just find yourself disinterested with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Lol but you don't even do a straight maths degree
    Doesn't strike out my 1 in STEP mate. Was originally on pure maths course at warwick. Changed to a more mathematical stats course because its more in line with my career progression. quants ftw

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.