Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is easier to get into?
    I want to do Spanish as well
    I'm doing A-Level: English Lit, Spanish, Geography (AS Psych)
    Year 12
    ANY advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjjs)
    Which is easier to get into?
    I want to do Spanish as well
    I'm doing A-Level: English Lit, Spanish, Geography (AS Psych)
    Year 12
    ANY advice appreciated.
    Neither course is substantially easier than the other.
    The Oxford % success is usually ~4% lower but I don't think that small disparity matters a great deal.

I'd advise looking into the structure of the course at each institution as well as how many modules you get to pick for yourself, etc. as a starting point.

If you find yourself still with no immediate preference and so still want to pick the option with the greater chance of success, Oxford is known to be a little more focused on GCSE results and Cambridge a little more focused on AS UMS (Oxford doesn't get access to this data).

If your GCSEs are great but when you get your AS results, your UMS is a little lacking, Oxford may well be the safer option (and vice versa). If you're fortunate to be strong in both departments, the choice is all yours my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying G.C.S.E, progressing to A-levels next year. I aspire to study law or potentially law with European legal studies and desirably, this would be at Oxford; however, I appreciate its prestigious reputation and am aware they only admit an eclectic of students. If it's not too personal of a question, could any current Oxford law students tell me their G.C.S.E results?
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99isaacthurgood)
    Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying G.C.S.E, progressing to A-levels next year. I aspire to study law or potentially law with European legal studies and desirably, this would be at Oxford; however, I appreciate its prestigious reputation and am aware they only admit an eclectic of students. If it's not too personal of a question, could any current Oxford law students tell me their G.C.S.E results?
    Thank you in advance
    There's no golden set of results that guarantee entry. I know of applicants with straight A*s who were rejected and likewise know of some who were very disappointed with their GCSE results but still got offers.

Just aim for as good results as possible and go from there.

It's very easy to get a little obsessed with these things. From year 10, I was constantly checking the Oxford applicant stalking pages at GCSE results. Now speaking to the tutors about the whole process, that was a complete waste of time.

GCSEs only form part of the process (GCSE+LNAT for interview shortlisting) and a lowered importance come post-interview. Also, they are contextually considered in light of your school average so aim for top/close to the top of your school cohort and I imagine you'd put yourself in good stead.

Please don't worry about the exact number of A*s you need. I assure you it isn't helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't approach it by thinking "which is easier to get into?". They're both highly competitive universities to get into due to their prestige.
    That being said, Oxford interviews fewer students and use the LNAT mechanistically to shortlist who gets interviewed. If you don't think you'll do well on the LNAT, apply to Cambridge as they use a slightly different test which you sit at interview.
    Looking at the figures crudely Cambridge would appear easier to get into, but then you have to get higher grades (A*AA) to get in as opposed to AAA for Oxford. I would thus take grades as well as the LNAT into account when deciding.
    Cambridge interview a higher % of applicants than Oxford but your chances of getting an offer post-interview are lower as a greater proportion get to interview as opposed to Oxford. It's harder to get an interview at Oxford because the % of shortlisted applicants is considerably lower.
    I would make your choice based on course content and whether you'd prefer to go to Oxford or to Cambridge. Both are going to be tough to get into. No-one is really "easier" to get into really.
    If you want any advice I'm happy to offer it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I wouldn't approach it by thinking "which is easier to get into?". They're both highly competitive universities to get into due to their prestige.
    That being said, Oxford interviews fewer students and use the LNAT mechanistically to shortlist who gets interviewed. If you don't think you'll do well on the LNAT, apply to Cambridge as they use a slightly different test which you sit at interview.
    Looking at the figures crudely Cambridge would appear easier to get into, but then you have to get higher grades (A*AA) to get in as opposed to AAA for Oxford. I would thus take grades as well as the LNAT into account when deciding.
    Cambridge interview a higher % of applicants than Oxford but your chances of getting an offer post-interview are lower as a greater proportion get to interview as opposed to Oxford. It's harder to get an interview at Oxford because the % of shortlisted applicants is considerably lower.
    I would make your choice based on course content and whether you'd prefer to go to Oxford or to Cambridge. Both are going to be tough to get into. No-one is really "easier" to get into really.
    If you want any advice I'm happy to offer it!
    Thanks so much, I understand - I feel like if I apply to one or the other and don't get in I might've had a chance with the other! Did you go to Oxbridge? If so would you mind telling me your GCSE results? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjjs)
    Thanks so much, I understand - I feel like if I apply to one or the other and don't get in I might've had a chance with the other! Did you go to Oxbridge? If so would you mind telling me your GCSE results? Thanks
    Well you can always re-apply if that happens. I initially applied to Cambridge and didn't get the grades needed (I got AAA as opposed to A*AA which was my offer) and then applied to Oxford.
    If you don't get into one and want to apply to the other I would definitely say do it! Gap years can be stressful but if you really want Oxbridge it's worth a shot.
    I have an unconditional for History & Politics at Oxford (post-A Level applicant) and definitely found re-applying to be worthwhile.
    My GCSE results were lower than average due to extenuating circumstances (I got ABBBBCCC but had mitigating circumstances to account for the lacklustre grades!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Well you can always re-apply if that happens. I initially applied to Cambridge and didn't get the grades needed (I got AAA as opposed to A*AA which was my offer) and then applied to Oxford.
    If you don't get into one and want to apply to the other I would definitely say do it! Gap years can be stressful but if you really want Oxbridge it's worth a shot.
    I have an unconditional for History & Politics at Oxford (post-A Level applicant) and definitely found re-applying to be worthwhile.
    My GCSE results were lower than average due to extenuating circumstances (I got ABBBBCCC but had mitigating circumstances to account for the lacklustre grades!).
    Yeah that's my worry, I feel like I won't be able to get A*AA so maybe possibly AAA so it's so difficult to make a decision on what to apply for - if worse comes to worse I think I'll do exactly that as well and apply for Ox/Cambridge after the gap year. Oxford is def the one I really want to go to but I feel like my chances are so weak

ReputationRep:
    Give it a shot. If you really think that Oxford is the right place for you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.