The Student Room Group

A levels or btec or access and then degree from OU ??

Hello all

Im posting on behalf of my partner. He wishes to do a undergraduate degree in international relations and is full time employed.He has gcse but no A levels and open university has allowed him to enrol on course woth A levels or equivalent qualification.Now the trouble I'm having is around the validity/acceptability of ou degree without A levels. The jobs he may be interested and eligible for would be in civil service or third sector as per details from open uni. What is your opinion on his situation?Would anyone like to suggest any alternative route. He's happy to do A levels or equivalent like btec but we can't afford him leaving his work and there aren't many places or colleges I could locate which would do part time or evening A levels. We considered access course too through a brick mortar uni or college but not sure if it's a stand alone equivalent to A level ?Any help or suggestion is gratefully received Thanks
Reply 1
A degree surpasses a level. Many people enter the open university with no formal qualifications post gcse and still get high ranking jobs. It may be a point of conversation in an interview but the majority of employers are majorly impressed with open uni students who hold down job/childcare whilst completing a degree.

I really wouldn't waste your time trying to get an equivalent or an actual a level. I managed to get an unconditional offer to transfer to brick uni based purely on open uni credits as I have no a levels or equivalent
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks Tara.

Which course you going to be on ? Did you do OU access ?

Original post by ~Tara~
A degree surpasses a level. Many people enter the open university with no formal qualifications post gcse and still get high ranking jobs. It may be a point of conversation in an interview but the majority of employers are majorly impressed with open uni students who hold down job/childcare whilst completing a degree.

I really wouldn't waste your time trying to get an equivalent or an actual a level. I managed to get an unconditional offer to transfer to brick uni based purely on open uni credits as I have no a levels or equivalent
Reply 3
Original post by Jiyajiya12
Thanks Tara.

Which course you going to be on ? Did you do OU access ?

Well I may be staying with the OU for financial reasons now the funding has changed.

I started at level 1. I didn't do the openings courses. Level 1 matches the first year of brick uni - it doesn't count to your degree classification. So it's the perfect time to learn your study style and the modules are paced well. Facebook groups exist for each module and they can provide really great support.

My course is Bsc hons Psychology. I wanted to transfer because face to face teaching suits my learning better plus I would graduate in 2 years not 4/5 but my career is taking off and I'm not sure the schedule will be flexible enough. Also the massive hike in loans. Whereas open uni remains really cheap in comparison. I can get loans all the way up to PhD level for less than the cost of completing my degree at a brick uni now the funding has changed :/ a few grand extra was worth it. £20k more...not so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending