The Student Room Group

MEng or BEng? Help!!

Hello,
I just got an offer of chemical engineering at Manchester University, but I had the feeling that I chose the wrong course, I chose the BEng rather than MEng with one year industrial experience. Do you guys think it is a good idea to ask the uni to change for me now, or they will be the same? Although I knew that a lot of people say you can transfer after you get into uni. But I wonder if I apply the one with industrial experience will have guaranteed work experience placement .Also,
I saw that the BEng course is only for international students.
Original post by daxigua
Hello,
I just got an offer of chemical engineering at Manchester University, but I had the feeling that I chose the wrong course, I chose the BEng rather than MEng with one year industrial experience. Do you guys think it is a good idea to ask the uni to change for me now, or they will be the same? Although I knew that a lot of people say you can transfer after you get into uni. But I wonder if I apply the one with industrial experience will have guaranteed work experience placement .Also,
I saw that the BEng course is only for international students.

It's easier for student finance considerations to just go straight into the MEng but other than that it doesn't matter at all.
Reply 2
But I saw that for the MEng course with industrial experience,it has higher entry requirements which for me is not a problem. I just worried if it would be better to transfer now.
Original post by Smack
It's easier for student finance considerations to just go straight into the MEng but other than that it doesn't matter at all.
Reply 3
Original post by daxigua
But I saw that for the MEng course with industrial experience,it has higher entry requirements which for me is not a problem. I just worried if it would be better to transfer now.

You can be "upgraded" from BEng to MEng if you do well enough when you get to uni. The first two years are usually the same.

But there's no harm in asking now before you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You can be "upgraded" from BEng to MEng if you do well enough when you get to uni. The first two years are usually the same.

But there's no harm in asking now before you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it mean I will have guarenteed industrial placement if I transfer to that course
Reply 5
Original post by daxigua
Does it mean I will have guarenteed industrial placement if I transfer to that course

The uni will help you find one but I doubt they can "guarantee" it. Ask them to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest