The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

There was a question where you had to draw the structural formula when you were give the shortened structural formula and I got confused because the end carbon atoms only had three bonds so did any one add double bonds in??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 541
Original post by Abbyy1234
There was a question where you had to draw the structural formula when you were give the shortened structural formula and I got confused because the end carbon atoms only had three bonds so did any one add double bonds in??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a pic of what you drew and post it here if u can remember.
Reply 542

Posted from TSR Mobile

That question threw me for a loop. I put double bonds in but honestly I hadn't a clue what I was doing.
Reply 543
Did anyone else think that this paper was quite different this year? Loads of problem solving and there questions that I was 100% sure would come up didn't, like graphs, etc.
Reply 544
Original post by lornc
Did anyone else think that this paper was quite different this year? Loads of problem solving and there questions that I was 100% sure would come up didn't, like graphs, etc.

Yeah, I feel like I'm in the minority of people who actually struggled with quite a lot of this years paper haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 545
Original post by lornc

I expected it to be different bc the papers change but there was quite a lot of problem solving (not my strong point lol). I'm sure it was a fair paper but just some weak points for me.
There was a question where you had to draw the structural formula when you were give the shortened structural formula and I got confused because the end carbon atoms only had three bonds s7o did any one add double bonds in??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah cause I was always told carbon must have 4 bonds

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the question where you had to use the specific heat capacity to calculate the temperature increas what did you get? I got 55, and the other two people in my school in the exam got 18 and 0.4. So yeah I'm really worried I've completely messed that one up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG Abbyy, someone thinks the same way I did, I didn't doa double bond but it was very unusual for carbon not to have 4 bonds... It should have said anyway if it was a double bond in the structural formula. Are we supposed to assume its a double bond ? I was always taught to show a double bond in a structural formula. I didn't add a double bond because I thought maybe it was a rule breaker that you would learn about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 549
hey guys you have to add the double bond in for this question. this is because when you get the molecular formula you should be able to find the general formula by counting the number of the atoms in the molecules. (No.of Carbon atoms etc.) once you find this general formula you should be able to find what family of hydrocarbon that it belongs too. (Alkene or Alkane). This will then help you decide whether you should put in the double bond or not. Hope this helps :smile::smile:
Reply 550
Original post by Emmaj2000
In the question where you had to use the specific heat capacity to calculate the temperature increas what did you get? I got 55, and the other two people in my school in the exam got 18 and 0.4. So yeah I'm really worried I've completely messed that one up.

I got 55 as well and I know quite a lot of others at my school who got that too!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M3g4nxx
What did people put for the question about another reason why ammonia is a good fertiliser?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put that it could be converted into nitrogen by nitrifying bacteria that is required for plant growth but I have no idea if thats right sorry:s-smilie:
Original post by Jay431
For what question? The one that went like:

"What can sodium be described as" Something like that?

Yea. Was that insulator? The ion bridge thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ethan100
OMG Abbyy, someone thinks the same way I did, I didn't doa double bond but it was very unusual for carbon not to have 4 bonds... It should have said anyway if it was a double bond in the structural formula

Yeah that's what I thought so it would've have been like CH2=CH(CH3) etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554
Original post by Emmaj2000

I got 55 as well and my friend did too. Another friend got a different answer but I've seen a few people on here with 55 so maybe we're right or maybe we're wrong haha
Reply 555
i think 55 is correct as it sounds like the correct number. I also got 55 as well.:smile:
Wow my typing is atrocious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M3g4nxx
For what question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sodium ion bridge one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 558
Original post by lornc

Yes. It was very different. Different in a good and bad way. There were some hard questions and some not so bad, But there was a lot of new questions.

Original post by Ethan100
OMG Abbyy, someone thinks the same way I did, I didn't doa double bond but it was very unusual for carbon not to have 4 bonds... It should have said anyway if it was a double bond in the structural formula. Are we supposed to assume its a double bond ? I was always taught to show a double bond in a structural formula. I didn't add a double bond because I thought maybe it was a rule breaker that you would learn about.

I didn't do a double bond either, But I was a bit wary about it. Think Abby has done it right.
Original post by M3g4nxx
I got 55 as well and I know quite a lot of others at my school who got that too!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That has slightly settled and my nerves 😂 and best of luck for the 9th of August! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending