The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chat (previously New Cambridge Students Entry 2004)

---edited MESSAGE FROM D--------

DEAR NEW CAMBRIDGE STUDENTS

Please visit your very own wonderful forum here:

http://www.cambridgegossip.co.uk/new/forumdisplay.php?f=21

You now have your own special place. Please keep it busy and friendly.

---------------------------------

Okey dokey people....this was originally an idea that's has been done...but its was seemingly taken over by the people who are already at Cambridge! And other unis like Durham have thriving versions of this...so i pinched their idea...hehe!

EDIT: So this thread is for prospective students only...NO MORE PROSPECTIVE....WE'RE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I will begin...

Hello, i'm Geoff...I WILL BE studying law at Gonville and Caius College!

Right...now other people....otherwise i'll be all lonely!:tongue:

G

List Of Actual Cambridge People!

Ainsworth- ?, engineering at Girton- pic
Androidkiller- Mike, natsci at Trinity
Beauford- ?, maths at Trinity
Comma- Lei, medicine at Jesus
Counterpoint- Aleem, history at Fitz
Crana- Rosie, bio natsci at Pembroke- pic en guard! statue molesting best chem set bluehair! les toilettes?- [email protected]
Curious Orange- Tom, philosophy at Jesus
Dreamer- ?, bio natsci at Corpus
Faboba- Duncan, philosophy at Sidney
Figgetyfig- Nikki, engineering at St. Catt's- pic
Fluffstar- Kathy, natsci at Newnham- pic with benny
Guido- ?, natsci at Christ's
Gzftan- Geoff, law at Caius
High_dro_jen- Jenni, philosophy at Tit Hall
Joepbeng- Joe, engineering at Pembroke
Kath- Kath, engineering at New Hall- before ripsaw after ripsaw:tongue:
Katie J- Katie, arch and anth at Newnham
Katiyakat- Katy, geography at Newnham (REMEMBER THE Y!!!!!)
Kupo_Nut- Ben, natsci at Selwyn
-Laura- Laura, natsci at St Catts
Lucerna- Michelle, bio natsci at Emma- pic
Meepmeep- Andrew, maths at Trinity
MentallyIll- ?, arch&anth at Wolfson
Minta- ?, anglo-saxon, norse and celtic at New Hall
Musicboy- Jacob, music at Robinson- [email protected]
Naelsa- Selena, classics at Newnham
Nans- ?, chemical engineering at Churchill
Ogs- Alex, architecture at Tit Hall
Oldthrashberg- ?, anglo-saxon, norse and celtic at John's
Pollo Loco- Dan, vetsci at Girton
Polthegael- Pol, medicine at Girton- pic
Priya- Priya, mml at Sidney
Ralfskini- Ralf, bio natsci at Emma- pic
Rts- Richard, natsci at Churchill
Scarlet Ibis- Amy (really Amy-Alys), architecture at Selwyn- pic- [email protected]
Sjoshi- Shashank, economics at Caius
Smilingsista- Meg, english at Robinson
Squishy- Simon, Computer Science starting with Phys and maths at Robinson- pic- [email protected]
The Duck- Tiffany, law at Emma
Theoffender- Sam, natsci at St. Johns
Willa- Will, natsci at Emma- [email protected]

Honorary Members
Acaila- Amy :smile: -pic
Clare M- Clare?, economics at Exeter
Ellie4- Ellie (aka Mrs Acaila) :biggrin:
Mobdeeprob- Rob (decent bloke....shame he supports Man U :tongue:)
Musicman- Hew, music at Jesus (offerholder for 2005 entry)
Visesh- Visesh, medicine at Kings (that's king's cambridge..not KCL!!!:tongue:)(offerholder for 2005 entry)

mIRC Chat

1) Open up mIRC and fill in the relevant details.
2) Connect to the quakenet server (uk.quakenet.org)
3) Wait a while till loads of random text whizzes through the window...then it's loaded fully
3) Type in:/join #uk-learning

Alternatively....go to http://willaborp.ath.cx/ and click on IRC chat

And you're in!!!

Student Database

For a table showing subject and college for each member: http://willaborp.ath.cx/students/
I'm off to Girton to read medicine...

Anyone who is interested in getting to know a weird wee 27-year old mature (yeah, right!) student going to Girton in October, feel free to send me an e-mail (you should be able to through the site or else at: [email protected])

Best Wishes to you all,

Pol

THE IDEA OF PUTTING EVERYONE'S NAMES ABOVE IS A GOOD IDEA :smile: I ALSO SUGGEST, WITH THEIR CONSENT, SOME SORT OF CONTACT DETAILS...
Reply 2
Are you doing the graduate course or the normal one?
Helenia
Are you doing the graduate course or the normal one?

Who was that addressed to? If me, the normal 5 and a bit year one...

I have such a headache! Sorry about any nonsense I wrote in other thread last night!
Reply 4
polthegael
I'm off to Girton to read medicine...

Anyone who is interested in getting to know a weird wee 27-year old mature (yeah, right!) student going to Girton in October, feel free to send me an e-mail (you should be able to through the site or else at: [email protected])

Best Wishes to you all,

Pol

Hello there Pol..doesn't matter if you're mature or not....all new students are welcome! :smile:

Excellent..there are two now....anymore????

G
Anyone interested can go add stuff to the Cambridge forum of www.newstudent.org, it's a bit bare at the moment! :wink:
Reply 6
polthegael
Anyone interested can go add stuff to the Cambridge forum of www.newstudent.org, it's a bit bare at the moment! :wink:

Yeah..go on then! Come on now people...there must be more than 2 ppl on this site going to Cambrdige this October..surely!!!

G
Reply 7
gzftan
Yeah..go on then! Come on now people...there must be more than 2 ppl on this site going to Cambrdige this October..surely!!!

G

:biggrin: hello!! I'm going to Newnham to read Natural Sciences if i make the grades (please god please!!) I think theres another cambridge offer thread somewhere...
Credim go bhfuil mionghaire alainn agat!

You can ask one of your Celtic language student friends what that one means if you are not Irish ;o)

Anyway, where do you come from? Which of the nat scis are you doing?
Reply 9
polthegael
Credim go bhfuil mionghaire alainn agat!

You can ask one of your Celtic language student friends what that one means if you are not Irish ;o)

Anyway, where do you come from? Which of the nat scis are you doing?

Me? i'm from the scumpool that is Portsmouth. I want to do geological sciences :biggrin: rocks are fun.

Credim go bhfuil mionghaire alainn agat! <-- please tell me what this means, no college within about 100 miles does celtic language studies!
Reply 10
rocks suck....thats the bit which puts me off material and mineral science!
How can you find a rock interesting!?
Not sure I should talk to you then, having apent more than half my life in Southampton!

There will be lots of people at your college doing it, as its one of Cambridge's triposes!

My friend Jay (who just got his 2.1 from Brighton last week :smile: )'s daddy is a professor of geology down at the Southampton Oceanography Centre!

And I knew a geology lecturer (though he since switched to E.S.!)...

Never found the appeal of rocks personally!
Reply 12
Willa
rocks suck....thats the bit which puts me off material and mineral science!
How can you find a rock interesting!?

cus it can tell you a story. (oh my god how cliche was that?!) Do you know what material and mineral science will be like? im dreading it because im really crap at chemistry...

tee hee i live just outside pompey, so i dont have any predjudices (sp?) towards southampton. Tis a very nice city - went to see reel big fish at the guildhall in march. HOW steep is the hill from the station to the guildhall?!
Reply 13
well it's essentially just looking at what makes material the way they are. To some extent thats interesting....it's things like why silicon is used to make microchips and breast implants, and so on for other materials. It includes a lot about crystal structure, and you apparently get a go with x-ray diffraction, which makes cool patterns. But the part which puts me off is that it seems to be too much "This is a rock...look at it....it is shiny....what does that suggest? Why is it shiny!?"....that just sounds boring to me. GRRR the choice is difficult. I know i'm gonna choose physics and compsci if i get in, but it dont know what my final choice will be!
That sounds like the least interesting branch of science imaginable (well, maybe after medicine - alas poor me!)...
Reply 15
doesnt sound too bad then! Physics is going to be a nightmare! have you done further maths? I havnt and i think they assume you have. Anyone got any suggestions on key bits of the further maths course that would be really helpful for the physics module of Natsci? :confused:
Reply 16
polthegael
That sounds like the least interesting branch of science imaginable (well, maybe after medicine - alas poor me!)...

Hmm...I always found economics the least interesting branch of science...if you call it a science...
Used to know a guy called Dave (he's moved to Spain, but that's not relavent!)... He did a PhD in theoretical physics, the masochist! after an undergrad MSc in maths and physics... We used to sit up for hours philosophising and stuff (such that would make Plato's Symposium dull!)...

Anyway, he showed me maths he was using and it meant nothing to me... I did double maths quite a while ago (when it was more hardcore!) and this stuff was just gibberish (great dichotomy!)...
Reply 18
yeah but the thing about economics is it may be boring but you stand a good chance of getting a ridiculously well-paid job at the end :wink:

polthegael
Used to know a guy called Dave (he's moved to Spain, but that's not relavent!)... He did a PhD in theoretical physics, the masochist! after an undergrad MSc in maths and physics... We used to sit up for hours philosophising and stuff (such that would make Plato's Symposium dull!)...

Anyway, he showed me maths he was using and it meant nothing to me... I did double maths quite a while ago (when it was more hardcore!) and this stuff was just gibberish (great dichotomy!)...

oh...dear...

better earn some money so i can afford a tutor then... :smile:
Très drôle, mon ami(e)! And no, I don’t consider economics a science!

Latest

Trending

Trending