The Student Room Group
crana
shut up!

youd probably then try and feed them to your girlfriend anyway

Yuck..! At least she isn't eating coal though.. :rolleyes:
crana
they said they have portable heater things you can borrow.. apparently.

think id be allowed #to take mine anyway? its just a fan heater, its pretty new and stuff and it has a safety cut out whatsit

I had a fan heater for 2 days, but it was too noisy for my liking. :frown:

Are you sure over using heaters won't result in high electricity bills in Lent Term? As I am a CompSci, do I get a discount for using computers? (Electricity used by computer that is.)
Camford
I had a fan heater for 2 days, but it was too noisy for my liking. :frown:

Are you sure over using heaters won't result in high electricity bills in Lent Term? As I am a CompSci, do I get a discount for using computers? (Electricity used by computer that is.)

if you r room has no heating it seems more than a little harsh to charge you extra :frown:
crana
if you r room has no heating it seems more than a little harsh to charge you extra :frown:

I remember having something stuck in the old fire place...
Camford
I remember having something stuck in the old fire place...

so THATs what textbook s are for!
crana
so THATs what textbook s are for!

except you don't have fire in the old fire place anymore. Care about setting off the fire alarm?
Camford
except you don't have fire in the old fire place anymore. Care about setting off the fire alarm?

i could probably assemble a crack team of engineers and physicists to disable it :wink:
Reply 4747
Camford

Well....I reckon it takes quite a bit to set them off.....simply because people can smoke in their rooms without setting it off! (Unless theres no open windows and it becomes a bit fog-like!)

In our fire places theres an electric heater, which does alrite when they go and turn off the central heating.....but it stinks like a toaster, or a dirty oven :wink: :rolleyes: Plus we have to pay for it, cos our electricity's not incl.

The other thing is a chimney?! My m8 had a vent lid (over the fire place)which didnt close properly, so every time it was windy, there was a constant, crazy banging noise.... :mad: It got annoyin very soon :frown:
crana
i could probably assemble a crack team of engineers and physicists to disable it :wink:

Would cling film wrapping set the thing off?
Reply 4749
crana

QUESTION: how many of them does it take to change a battery?? :biggrin:

ANSWER:???
MadLy
In our fire places theres an electric heater, which does alrite when they go and turn off the central heating.....but it stinks like a toaster, or a dirty oven :wink: :rolleyes: Plus we have to pay for it, cos our electricity's not incl.

That's what Pembroke got, well, what I got in Pembroke anyway. On my letter it said you have to pay electricity bills. So, presumably, I'll get a messive E bill in Lent term.. :mad:
Reply 4751
Camford
Would cling film wrapping set the thing off?

i have no idea, but here's a story for you...

people in my house were having a massive fryup for like 15 or 20 of us all together. a friend volunteered to make sweet and sour pork, which, incidentally, entails heavy duty deep frying.

guess what, in anticipation of triggering the fire alarm, the joker decided to put a SOCK over the smoke detector.

guess what happened :rolleyes:

hint: sainsbury's plastic shopping bags do wonders for covering such things. just don't let the porters/bedders see it. they go ballistic if they do.
KHL
guess what, in anticipation of triggering the fire alarm, the joker decided to put a SOCK over the smoke detector.

hint: sainsbury's plastic shopping bags do wonders for covering such things. just don't let the porters/bedders see it. they go ballistic if they do.

Ah... I'll remember to wash my socks regularly then... in that case.
KHL
i have no idea, but here's a story for you...

people in my house were having a massive fryup for like 15 or 20 of us all together. a friend volunteered to make sweet and sour pork, which, incidentally, entails heavy duty deep frying.

In my school we always had fires going in the bins in the playground during winter to keep people warm. The teachers were unimpressed.

MB
musicboy
In my school we always had fires going in the bins in the playground during winter to keep people warm. The teachers were unimpressed.

MB

My science teacher back in GCSE set off the alarms off twice for doing exciting chemistry experiment... well.. just dropping K into water. ( :eek: I can't remember how you spell the name of K.)
Reply 4755
Camford
My science teacher back in GCSE set off the alarms off twice for doing exciting chemistry experiment... well.. just dropping K into water. ( :eek: I can't remember how you spell the name of K.)

Potassium:wink:
Well, we managed to set off my friend's fire alarm with the smoke from birthday candles. They were relighting ones though, so every time she tried to blow them out, there was more smoke! The porters were ok though.
Helenia
Well, we managed to set off my friend's fire alarm with the smoke from birthday candles. They were relighting ones though, so every time she tried to blow them out, there was more smoke! The porters were ok though.

Just as an estimate - how often do the fire alarms go off? As in, everyone troop outside in the wind/dark/rain at 2am?
Camford

my chemistry teacher never actually set the alarm off, but he was a bit of an explosives fanatic! the best one was when he got a big bowl of soapy water and bubbled hydrogen and oxygen into it, then threw a match in... woah it was loud! he also set a coffee tin bomb off on the tennis courts. apparantly him and his friend used to make bombs out af ammonium nitrate etc and blow them up in a disused quarry near his house...
Fluffstar
Just as an estimate - how often do the fire alarms go off? As in, everyone troop outside in the wind/dark/rain at 2am?

I had one night time alarm (about 11:30, so I was just getting ready for bed) and maybe 3 daytime ones in the year, though I may have been out of my room for other ones. They're a lot less regimented than at school, because you don't always know where everyone was and so on, you just have to get out until the porters come.

Latest

Trending

Trending