The Student Room Group
cambridge is absolutely tiny. Then again, I come from london.

MB
Reply 5581
Willa
personally race is a completely transparent part of the society i operate in. Coming from an extremely multicultural school, I really dont care (and in fact dont notice) racial differences. I'm much more interested in the personalities.

well oddly enough it's exactly the same with the society i live in...nobody treats me as anything different than they are, because i'm very very anglicised..a lot of people don't realise both my parents are indian. what worried me in a way is, some other asian people i've met who seem to be very aware of their background and of the people around them, and make a point of it. that's all i'm going to find odd, if it occurs (which i hope it doesn't)
Reply 5582
musicboy

MB

i'm from a quiet suburb type area, so it's just going to be scary for me in terms of the sheer amount of people.
musicboy

MB

The entire experience of living there is going to all be completely new to me!!
The all girl college thing for one (living with mum & sisters now is hardly the same!) then the city aspect having only had a Welsh Valley town upbringing, having everything so nearby, having friends closer than a good few miles away, having multi racial, cultural and faith backgrounds (I hate being so unaware of that, I've always been to a Catholic school, I've never been taught other religions!), wealthy people being the norm, and lastly no hills!! It's so flat, not sure how I'll cope, all my family live in hilly/mountainy areas!

I can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 5584
Katie J
The entire experience of living there is going to all be completely new to me!!
The all girl college thing for one (living with mum & sisters now is hardly the same!) then the city aspect having only had a Welsh Valley town upbringing, having everything so nearby, having friends closer than a good few miles away, having multi racial, cultural and faith backgrounds (I hate being so unaware of that, I've always been to a Catholic school, I've never been taught other religions!), wealthy people being the norm, and lastly no hills!! It's so flat, not sure how I'll cope, all my family live in hilly/mountainy areas!

I can't wait! :biggrin:

hopefully this won't always be the case. we have money but we're very stingy with it. so i've always been one to bargain for things, i don't always shop in river island/dune/jane norman type places etc. there will be people there that aren't that wealthy though. then again there will be the mega rich people who's favourite store is selfridges :eek:
Reply 5585
Katie J
and lastly no hills!! It's so flat, not sure how I'll cope, all my family live in hilly/mountainy areas!

It's horrible. :frown: EVerything is so BORING to look at. Walking is dull because there are no views and it takes forever to walk down long, straight roads.

I'm going to miss my beloved hills.
Reply 5586
blissy
It's horrible. :frown: EVerything is so BORING to look at. Walking is dull because there are no views and it takes forever to walk down long, straight roads.

I'm going to miss my beloved hills.

i live just over the water from wales...hills are pretty. there's a fair few of them on the wirral as well. must get paintings of hilly regions and stick in room :rolleyes:
Reply 5587
Yeah I guess Cambridge is quite homogenized, in several ways. I was so shocked when I came on open days and I only saw a tiny group of black people, and the place was full of people who spoke with RP accents (I speak like that too, but I come from London so it was weird not being surrounded by different accents and races). It seemed especially odd when you think that Cambridge is world-famous, and yet so many of the open day people were from the 'same mold'. Of course that could just have been the particular open days I went on, but it was still strange.
Reply 5588
Minta
Yeah I guess Cambridge is quite homogenized, in several ways. I was so shocked when I came on open days and I only saw a tiny group of black people, and the place was full of people who spoke with RP accents (I speak like that too, but I come from London so it was weird not being surrounded by different accents and races). It seemed especially odd when you think that Cambridge is world-famous, and yet so many of the open day people were from the 'same mold'. Of course that could just have been the particular open days I went on, but it was still strange.

i'm going to try my best to keep my northern accent, i don';t care if i sound thick or common with it, those with such prejuidices can just get lost. i like my accent and refuse to trun into an RP person (no offence, it's a nice accent, but i've been northern a my lfie asnd intend to stay that way for the next couple of years at least)
Most of my friends seem to be northern... or claim to be anyway :biggrin:

Don't worry, there are people from all over the place and no-one is likely to laugh at your accent. There's a bit of north-south banter sometimes though not that often tbh and it's all in good humour anyway.

Lack of hills sucks big time, and I've lived in the Fens all my life (it sends you mad eventually, ahahahaha)

And now I must go to work. :smile:
Reply 5590
I lived in Manchester for about eight years, and in tiny Loughborough for the last six years. So I guess I find Cambridge an average-ish size; not huge and noisy, but with all the amenities :smile:

Compared to both the town and the city I've lived in, Cambridge is beautiful.

Eee! I'm going to love it there!

I don't really have an accent... not a regional one, anyway. I say "bath" instead of "barth", etc. And I intend to keep it that way :cool:
Reply 5591
*skips around* yey yey woo yey. i emailed the DOS for linguistics, about reading lists, and she emailed me back basically saying that if i want to do some preparation i can do it on the varieties of german (i.e the interesting stuff) rather than trawling through book after book on german phonology! (which was slowly driving me insane) woo! it was en amil she sent to everyone who enquired about the linguistics option, and it sounded really positive and reassuring. so yey! not too much to worry about on this front at least :biggrin:
Reply 5592
Comma
I lived in Manchester for about eight years, and in tiny Loughborough for the last six years. So I guess I find Cambridge an average-ish size; not huge and noisy, but with all the amenities :smile:

Compared to both the town and the city I've lived in, Cambridge is beautiful.

Eee! I'm going to love it there!

I don't really have an accent... not a regional one, anyway. I say "bath" instead of "barth", etc. And I intend to keep it that way :cool:

ahh good good , that's what we like, bath, grass and path were never meant to have r's in them anyway :tongue:

you are a true northener as well however...did you pick up any of the delightful mancunian accent? :biggrin:
UK-Learning Forums (sic)

Hello polthegael,

We at UK-Learning Forums would like to wish you a happy birthday today!

Thanks for reminding me... NOT!

*Runs off into corner crying about being too old* :frown:
Reply 5594
polthegael

come pack pol!!! happy birthday!! and remember...you're never too old!! we still like you!
Reply 5595
polthegael

Happy birthday Pol....don't worry..you're not old....if you were a footballer...you'd be entering the peak of your talent and skills! Think of that way :tongue:

G
Reply 5596
i just realised i've been on here for over an hour, and the day hasn't even properly begun yet. i'm too addicted :frown:
Reply 5597
priya
i just realised i've been on here for over an hour, and the day hasn't even properly begun yet. i'm too addicted :frown:

You're addicted?? I'm the one with 4000+ posts!!!:tongue:

I'm sure uni will sort us all out though..i'm just posting due to boredom and lack of stuff to do :tongue:

G
Reply 5598
gzftan
Happy birthday Pol....don't worry..you're not old....if you were a footballer...you'd be entering the peak of your talent and skills! Think of that way :tongue:

G

except he isnt a footballer...he's a student!!! Hence he is old :tongue:

Happy Birthday
Reply 5599
Willa
except he isnt a footballer...he's a student!!! Hence he is old :tongue:

Happy Birthday

Lol....shhhhh!!!!!!! I don't think he knows yet!!!!:tongue:

G

Latest

Trending

Trending