The Student Room Group
Reply 780
sbailey
Those physiology experiments were such a pain! If something can go wrong, it will... and not only that, but something you hadn't predicted could go wrong will also go wrong.... and to top it off, you find out you shifted EPIC's scale too much and can't interpret your results anyway. And oooh look, isn't it time for your supervision?!

Sorry if I sound bitter.

What you need is a backup pair - someone whose results you can steal if yours go horribly wrong. We did that for some people, they did the same for us :wink: with the result that my book is overflowing with lovely EPIC printouts (plus, it feels like you're working when you just sit in your room cutting them down to size and sticking them in! :biggrin:).

You do sound a leeeetle bit bitter, but tis understandable. It's how I felt about the first two MIMS practicals. :mad:
Reply 781
Helenia
What you need is a backup pair - someone whose results you can steal if yours go horribly wrong. We did that for some people, they did the same for us :wink: with the result that my book is overflowing with lovely EPIC printouts (plus, it feels like you're working when you just sit in your room cutting them down to size and sticking them in! :biggrin:).

You do sound a leeeetle bit bitter, but tis understandable. It's how I felt about the first two MIMS practicals. :mad:

MIMS practicals were boring... you just follow the instructions parrot-fashion without understanding what's going on. Unless you read the sheets beforehand :rolleyes:

Reminds me of when I was joking around with a young Canadian student about how there's no point reading histology before turning up. We were waiting to enter the histology classroom. She seemed very upset with me, arguing that you have to read the chapter before you get there. I was like "Nah, why would I do that?!" and it gradually dawned on me that this "young Canadian student" was reading for a phD rather than MB BChir... another guy was there with me and he had obviously brought his own shovel because he wouldn't shut up either, and I gradually changed my story into "I try to read it when I can, but there's just so little time" without admitting I knew she was a demonstrator.

Then she walked over to Bitch From Hell (Anita) and Anita made an announcement that "Everyone must read their handbooks before the session, it is NOT optional". Very embarassing... Particularly when I needed to ask the same demonstrator for help. Everyone on my table thought it was hilarious.
Reply 782
sbailey
MIMS practicals were boring... you just follow the instructions parrot-fashion without understanding what's going on. Unless you read the sheets beforehand :rolleyes:

Reminds me of when I was joking around with a young Canadian student about how there's no point reading histology before turning up. We were waiting to enter the histology classroom. She seemed very upset with me, arguing that you have to read the chapter before you get there. I was like "Nah, why would I do that?!" and it gradually dawned on me that this "young Canadian student" was reading for a phD rather than MB BChir... another guy was there with me and he had obviously brought his own shovel because he wouldn't shut up either, and I gradually changed my story into "I try to read it when I can, but there's just so little time" without admitting I knew she was a demonstrator.

Then she walked over to Bitch From Hell (Anita) and Anita made an announcement that "Everyone must read their handbooks before the session, it is NOT optional". Very embarassing... Particularly when I needed to ask the same demonstrator for help. Everyone on my table thought it was hilarious.

That's the problem - I never understood the MIMS pracs, so when it came to attempting practical papers I didn't have the first clue what they were talking about :redface:

Hehe, I know the demonstrator you mean, she was really nice! And fairly early on, one of the other girls in my group realised she had a really pretty engagement ring. None of the rest of us had seen it though, so we had to call the girl back to us, and subtly try and look at it whilst making up pointless questions. :redface:

And if you thought Anita was bad, what about that witch of a technician in experimental physiology? You know, quite young, short, fat, greasy brown hair, glasses? I swear she had it in for me, and I'm still scarred by seeing her wearing a "Tease me, Squeeze me, Please me" T-shirt on our last practical day :eek:
Reply 783
Helenia
That's the problem - I never understood the MIMS pracs, so when it came to attempting practical papers I didn't have the first clue what they were talking about :redface:

Hehe, I know the demonstrator you mean, she was really nice! And fairly early on, one of the other girls in my group realised she had a really pretty engagement ring. None of the rest of us had seen it though, so we had to call the girl back to us, and subtly try and look at it whilst making up pointless questions. :redface:

And if you thought Anita was bad, what about that witch of a technician in experimental physiology? You know, quite young, short, fat, greasy brown hair, glasses? I swear she had it in for me, and I'm still scarred by seeing her wearing a "Tease me, Squeeze me, Please me" T-shirt on our last practical day :eek:

I've been told we'll be seeing a lot more of Anita next year :mad:
Reply 784
sbailey
I've been told we'll be seeing a lot more of Anita next year :mad:

Errr, why? What did we do to deserve that?

*hopes we won't be seeing Physiology bitch any time soon* God she was horrible to me, she kicked me when I was lying on the floor having my blood pressure taken, and told me to move because I was a hazard. Well I'm only a hazard if you're going to walk up and kick me, you stupid cow!
Reply 785
Helenia
Errr, why? What did we do to deserve that?

*hopes we won't be seeing Physiology bitch any time soon* God she was horrible to me, she kicked me when I was lying on the floor having my blood pressure taken, and told me to move because I was a hazard. Well I'm only a hazard if you're going to walk up and kick me, you stupid cow!

Ouch! That one's scary.....she either patrols the classroom or silently scans from her office, waiting for her next victim :eek: Doesnt help that she seems to treat the students that have the misfortune to be in her classroom like vermin.

Anita's not so bad, she moves slow enough that you've had time to brace urself for the icy coldness! :wink:
Reply 786
sbailey
I don't think King's has formal hall, it's against their communist principles :wink:

And although I know girls who have claimed to go into Caius formal wearing nothing BUT their gowns, I'm pretty sure this isn't strictly allowed. :rolleyes:

i know for a fact that king's has formal, just that it's bloody rare and even more rare for outsiders to get invited... some of the mens' novices got invited this year, and promptly misbehaved. i was not with them...

as for the 2nd comment, i've been shown "photographic evidence" by a party involved, although given the rather large and single-sized (i.e. too big for girls) nature of our gowns, one could hide quite a bit of clothing underneath and get away with it. has to do with some sort of initiation into a female drinking society.
Reply 787
sbailey
Those physiology experiments were such a pain! If something can go wrong, it will... and not only that, but something you hadn't predicted could go wrong will also go wrong.... and to top it off, you find out you shifted EPIC's scale too much and can't interpret your results anyway. And oooh look, isn't it time for your supervision?!

Sorry if I sound bitter.

how about this one... the rabbit gut experiment? my partner did not turn up. i did the entire experiment ALONE. thank goodness my results were quite okay... and i usually work with 2 girls... guess who's guinea pig extraordinaire? :rolleyes:

but i like MIMS practs! dunno why i do, but i do!

oh, anita and next year? why, simple, of course... PATHOHISTOLOGY. if you thought identifying blobs in a microscope this year was bad, next year you need to identify MISSHAPEN blobs, which implies that you knew what they were supposed to look like in the first place :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :frown:

oh, if H&E ever gets ill over here, she'd be pleased to know that i've heard of medics ripping a heart out from a cadaver with bare hands (look ma, no scalpels!) during a dissection, and killing a piece of rabbit gut 5 times over the course of an experiment where it wasn't supposed to die at all... and cutting a frog open from the wrong side (belly up instead of back up)... and cutting off the patella of a frog when we were supposed to leave it (personal experience :frown: :rolleyes: )... any others steve & helen?
Reply 788
methinks this thread has been somewhat hijacked...:smile:
Reply 789
Fluffstar

Yeh...i came on to see there were 4 news pages of posts....then realised that 3 of them belonged to Helenia, KHL, and Sbailey. Deary me...what was the reason i started this thread?? Cos the others have been hijacked by current cambridge peeps!!!! please can we have our thread back!!!!:tongue:

Helenia....you should start your own Cambridge chat thread...then come october we can all join it!! :smile: [touch wood]

In response to why Acaila is an Honorary member.....she's applying this year for cambridge so she can't be an actual member, but we like having her here...so she's an honorary member :smile:

G
Reply 790
KHL
i know for a fact that king's has formal, just that it's bloody rare and even more rare for outsiders to get invited... some of the mens' novices got invited this year, and promptly misbehaved. i was not with them...

Officially they do not call it 'formal hall' - it has some other name (just to be different). Also from what I've heard it is only held a couple of times a term, so it's quite a special thing, and it's therefore very rare for people from other colleges to go.
Reply 791
Fluffstar

Yeah, 'twas only a matter of time. :smile:
Reply 792
Squishy
Yeah, 'twas only a matter of time. :smile:

Howdy squish mate....come into mIRC chat. its soooo fun!! :smile:

G
Reply 793
gzftan
Howdy squish mate....come into mIRC chat. its soooo fun!! :smile:

G

Sorry, I have to go out in a minute! :frown: Would you rather be called Geoff?
Reply 794
Squishy
Sorry, I have to go out in a minute! :frown: Would you rather be called Geoff?

I don't really mind.....you can just call me G or geoff or whatever....i have millions of names anyway.....whatever you prefer :smile:

G
are you on this and mIRC, gzftan?
Reply 796
scarlet ibis
are you on this and mIRC, gzftan?

On what?? I was posting and chatting at the same time yeh...but i'm gonna go and find food now. Lol....your influence :tongue:

Byebye....and any potential hijackers reading this...please don't :smile:

G
Reply 797
gzftan
I don't really mind.....you can just call me G or geoff or whatever....i have millions of names anyway.....whatever you prefer :smile:

G

Ahh, a man of many names. In that case, I'll call you Aragorn, since he also has many names. :biggrin:
lol
i really must go and find some food!
Reply 799
Squishy
Ahh, a man of many names. In that case, I'll call you Aragorn, since he also has many names. :biggrin:

Lol....go for it:tongue:.

What about you...do you prefer Simon or just squishy??

G

Latest

Trending

Trending