The Student Room Group
Reply 1180
Economics. I looked into doing it at Cambridge but when i went to a careers fair, the Cambridge representative was very clear that since i had not done Economics A-level there was no chance i could get on the course, despite my predicted A in maths. The course seems very diverse and interesting at Exeter anyway and the location suits me fine.
Reply 1181
Awww careers fair people are nasty. Hence my anti-Oxford attitude. Supposedly I shouldn't even bother considering Oxford because even if I got all As, they wouldn't consider me. :rolleyes: Hmph!

Mind you some are really nice. The reps at ours from Newcastle and Edinburgh were so nice to me. Plus when my prospectus bag broke, the rep from my boyfriend's college ran over, helped me pick them up, and gave me two new bags :smile:.
Reply 1182
so are you AT cambridge at the moment, have u been given an offer, OR are you applying soon?
Reply 1183
Applying this year for Social and Political Sciences. Just happened to flick through a Cam prospectus in our careers library, saw the SPS page, and went "Wow! That is MY course!" :biggrin:
Reply 1184
lol. So what reasons did Oxford rep. give that they wouldnt want you then?
Reply 1185
I think it was the fact that at that time I was planning on doing 2 Advanced Highers and 3 Highers. He said they would only take me if I was doing 3 Advanced Highers. I got home, checked the prospectus and voila "Scottish applicants should have 5 Highers. If they are planning not to take any advanced highers could they please let us know."
So basically I could get in with that (especially since one of the Highers I had to take because it was related to the subject I was looking to study).
Wheras I've now swapped that Higher for another Advanced Higher, and all the Scottish people on the forum with Oxford offers seem to think that I'm suicidal taking on that kind of workload :rolleyes:
Mind you, the same guy managed to persuade another guy on these forums to apply to Oxford. Maybe it was just me he didn't like :frown:
Reply 1186
crana
I second Captain Corelli's Mandolin.. I also enjoyed Wild Swans recently.

one thing you can try is getting books on tape! i really like them - you can normally get them for less than £1 from your library.. they are great for bringing all the voices to life, especially when there are lots of scary-looking unpronouncable chinese words (a la wild swans)

and you can listen to them in the car, on the bus etc if you have a walkman, fantastic

actually, for anglicized chinese words you just follow the labels as they come - the words are written as they should be pronounced, although there may or may not be a tone added above one of the vowels, depending on how authentic the author wants to be... in fact, chinese words were anglicized phonetically to aid "western understanding" of the language, not that it helps much, since each set of words can have 4 different inflections, and within each inflection, there may be tens or even hundreds of different actual written chinese characters...

another book i finished recently is The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje). again, movie doesn't quite do justice to the book. but this book is a bit heavier than Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and the writing a bit more obscure... personally, i find the writing style just makes the story more surreal, which is cool.
Reply 1187
Welcome to the thread Clare m!!! We're all lovely people on this thread!! We'll listen to what you say! :smile:

If you intend to hang around here....do you wanna become an honorary member like Acaila???

G
Reply 1188
Afternoon G :smile:
Reply 1189
Acaila
Afternoon G :smile:

Good afternoon!:smile: I was wondering where everyone had got to....i normally post..come back a coupla hours later..and realise i've missed a gigantic conversation! Luckily it was about books....and i'm content with Harry Potter....he's a right moody git he is!

Anyway..hows u this lovely day?

G
Reply 1190
KHL
actually, for anglicized chinese words you just follow the labels as they come - the words are written as they should be pronounced, although there may or may not be a tone added above one of the vowels, depending on how authentic the author wants to be... in fact, chinese words were anglicized phonetically to aid "western understanding" of the language, not that it helps much, since each set of words can have 4 different inflections, and within each inflection, there may be tens or even hundreds of different actual written chinese characters...

Yep...although..the problem is that the pronounciation of these anglicized chinese words (known as 'pin yin') aren't pronounced exactly the same way they are in english. So you'd have to learn how to pronounce each letter in the proper way before being able to read pin yin.

Isn't chinese a confusing language! :redface:

G
Reply 1191
gzftan
Good afternoon!:smile: I was wondering where everyone had got to....i normally post..come back a coupla hours later..and realise i've missed a gigantic conversation! Luckily it was about books....and i'm content with Harry Potter....he's a right moody git he is!

Anyway..hows u this lovely day?

G

I'm quite good :smile:
My first afternoon using a spiffing broadband connection, and I'm trying to do drama homework :biggrin: Typical :biggrin:
How's you?
Reply 1192
Acaila
I'm quite good :smile:
My first afternoon using a spiffing broadband connection, and I'm trying to do drama homework :biggrin: Typical :biggrin:
How's you?

Pas mal merci beaucoup. Lucky you has broadband!!! I wish i had it..mydad did the worst thing possible..he let me have it for a month..and i got used to it...then he took it away cos the free trial ran out :frown:

Still got homework??? I thought most schools were finished now?

G
Reply 1193
gzftan
Welcome to the thread Clare m!!! We're all lovely people on this thread!! We'll listen to what you say! :smile:

If you intend to hang around here....do you wanna become an honorary member like Acaila???

G

sure, why not - unless it involves work of any kind! lol
Reply 1194
School finished a few weeks ago, but I do drama outside of school time. Our holiday homework includes writing a scene for the plays we're writing in groups, so I'm attempting to do mine now. It features people emerging from wheelie bins :biggrin:
KHL

even so, my mind blankens at words with too many x's and z's!
Reply 1196
clare_m

Yay! Another honorary member :smile:
Reply 1197
crana
even so, my mind blankens at words with too many x's and z's!

Hey crana, how's you doing today? :smile:

(Can you tell this is turning into a chit chat thread? :biggrin:)
Reply 1198
clare_m

Only work involved is posting reasonably regularly and being friendly and nice! You seem to fit the criteria! :smile:

G
Reply 1199
And not letting the thread be taken over by the boaties and medics!

Latest

Trending

Trending