The Student Room Group
Just found this...

"The coefficient of relatedness (r) between two individuals is defined as the percentage of genes that those two individuals share by common descent. That may seem a little complicated, but it is actually easier to calculate than to define. Consider the simplest example of calculating the coefficient of relatedness of a parent and its offspring in a diploid system. The offspring inherit 1/2 of their genome from a particular parent, so that they will have a coefficient of relatedness of 0.5. If you take this one generation further, the offspring's offspring (grandoffspring) will have 1/2 of the genome of its parent, and consequently 1/2*1/2=1/4 of its genome from its grandparent. Thus, a grandparent and grandoffspring have a coefficient of relatedness (r) of .25. In general r =.5n where n is the number of "generational links" (Campbell 1993)."

That's very annoying, because Campbell was one of the textbooks I was looking through last night (albeit a 1999 reprint)!
scarlet ibis
:confused:
woh :eek:

i can't keep up with your deep scientific discussions! i dropped biology after gcse! :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry... We aren't keeping up either! :rolleyes:
polthegael
"The coefficient of relatedness (r) between two individuals is defined as the percentage of genes that those two individuals share by common descent. That may seem a little complicated, but it is actually easier to calculate than to define. Consider the simplest example of calculating the coefficient of relatedness of a parent and its offspring in a diploid system. The offspring inherit 1/2 of their genome from a particular parent, so that they will have a coefficient of relatedness of 0.5. If you take this one generation further, the offspring's offspring (grandoffspring) will have 1/2 of the genome of its parent, and consequently 1/2*1/2=1/4 of its genome from its grandparent. Thus, a grandparent and grandoffspring have a coefficient of relatedness (r) of .25. In general r =.5n where n is the number of "generational links" (Campbell 1993)."

:eek: :eek: :eek:
polthegael
I realise it would vary. I was going through a vast array of big chunky textbooks on evolution, ecology (for the altruism idea and sacrificing yourself for a sibling's niche, etc) and general biology ones. I couldn't find anything relating to humans except a couple of comments alluding to the coefficient of relatedness being 0.5 between siblings. I think I'll look up a better definition of that coefficient!

I do think that it ought to be around 50% common source though, but that's rather meaningless :confused:

just had a look in selfish gene while my tea cooks and (p98 or so in my edition, from "relatedness" in the index i belive) and what r.dawkins is talking about is that only the genes which have many rare alleles really are of interest in studying altriusm and in the case of these genes yes there is a 50% chance you and your sibling will share a particular allele.

Rosie
polthegael
Just found this...

That's very annoying, because Campbell was one of the textbooks I was looking through last night (albeit a 1999 reprint)!

i love campbell (if we mean the same one - Neil?) but the book does skate over things at some points i noticed.. hehe
crana
i love campbell (if we mean the same one - Neil?) but the book does skate over things at some points i noticed.. hehe

He's the dude :smile:

I used to like go into the bath with it and stay there for like about 5 hours letting water out to get more hot water in and ending up like a prune because I was so addicted to it! Which version/reprint do you have?

There's that and Begon. They are the sort of things I read for fun... How sad am I?! :redface: I did read Sophie's World and The Elegant Universe over the past while as well, so I guess that's not so bad! :rolleyes:
polthegael
He's the dude :smile:

I used to like go into the bath with it and stay there for like about 5 hours letting water out to get more hot water in and ending up like a prune because I was so addicted to it! Which version/reprint do you have?

There's that and Begon. They are the sort of things I read for fun... How sad am I?! :redface: I did read Sophie's World and The Elegant Universe over the past while as well, so I guess that's not so bad! :rolleyes:

it isssssss............][ the 4th edition apparently, i got it off ebay. i particularly like the mini coloured rabbits, flowers etc in the section on genetic crosses...lol

its a bit heavy for me to read in the bath however. but i know what you mean about the water getting cold etc.. once i start reading something i do find it hard to stop unless its incredibly boring so i am often really tired for school because i was up reading until 3..lol..
ooh i love sophie's world. its so surreal and really interesting. have you read anything else of jostein gaarder's?
incidentally, i was just on portal of evil and i know many of you are les mis fans....

http://www.mv.com/users/ang/fanfic/slash.html
crana
it isssssss............][ the 4th edition apparently, i got it off ebay. i particularly like the mini coloured rabbits, flowers etc in the section on genetic crosses...lol

its a bit heavy for me to read in the bath however. but i know what you mean about the water getting cold etc.. once i start reading something i do find it hard to stop unless its incredibly boring so i am often really tired for school because i was up reading until 3..lol..

Huh! No rabbits in 5th ed! It just has boring old quarters, mice and flowers!

Make yourself a lecturn (is that what you call them?)... Put it over the bath and you can read Campbell and other large heavy hardbacks without them sinking you!

I know the feeling.. With me, I seldom start reading but when I do, you can't get the book off me until I finish it or fall asleep!
Reply 1590
If the link has the word slash in it I'm staying clear!
polthegael
Huh! No rabbits in 5th ed! It just has boring old quarters, mice and flowers!

Make yourself a lecturn (is that what you call them?)... Put it over the bath and you can read Campbell and other large heavy hardbacks without them sinking you!

I know the feeling.. With me, I seldom start reading but when I do, you can't get the book off me until I finish it or fall asleep!

ok well maybe i was imagining the rabbits or maybe i meant mice or maybe my edition is SPECIAL

a lecturn? errrrrremm maybe but i usually have showers anyway.hehe. usually, "my dick is twice as long as my attention span" (so extremely short being as im a girl..) but once i get stuck into a book i can quite happily sit there for 4 or 5 hours and read it... i read the 5th harry potter in one sitting/
Acaila
If the link has the word slash in it I'm staying clear!

:wink:

i just find the idea hilarious although i didnt actually look at the page, only the PoE description
scarlet ibis
ooh i love sophie's world. its so surreal and really interesting. have you read anything else of jostein gaarder's?

Didn't know he wrote other stuff.. Thought it was a one-hit wonder thing :redface: Let me know stuff and I'll check it out when I get back :smile:
polthegael
Didn't know he wrote other stuff.. Thought it was a one-hit wonder thing :redface: Let me know stuff and I'll check it out when I get back :smile:

yeah he's written loads of other novels (aand some children's books): Jostein Gaarder (amazon)

none as good as Sophie's World admittedly, but the ones i've read have still been interesting, thought provoking and extremely surreal.
Reply 1595
scarlet ibis
yeah he's written loads of other novels (aand some children's books): Jostein Gaarder (amazon)

none as good as Sophie's World admittedly, but the ones i've read have still been interesting, thought provoking and extremely surreal.

Books again eh?? Well..i finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix....and i've now moved on to The Hobbit for the second time...after which i think i'll go for the LOTR books again....:tongue:

Baeuford- W/ regards to club-joining....i might play rugby...but not at uni level..purely for a fun basis...and no group showers!!!! :tongue: Also maybe ultimate frisbee....erm dunno what else...i'll see when i get there! :smile:

G
i hope there's a sailing club! i'd join that! oh and any walking/hiking clubs!
Reply 1597
scarlet ibis
i hope there's a sailing club! i'd join that! oh and any walking/hiking clubs!

Canoeing is great!! I did that for my Bronze DofE expedition....cos the foot and mouth meant hiking was out of the question....if there's a canoeing club i might look into that! :smile:

G
regarding clubs ill probably join the ones for my subjkect, and i would like to do this thingy where you get put with a local primary school and go in and help with science lessons... but i didnt really see any otehrs that grabbed me, as i remember. im hoping to try and work everything in so i can still see my b/f at less than 10-weekly-intervals so im not going to try and take on absolutely loads of extra curric stuff beyond my work.. a couple of things, but not rowing 10 days a week or whatever

rosie
Reply 1599
crana
but not rowing 10 days a week or whatever

rosie

That sounds excessive...even for the most avid rower!!! :redface:

G

Latest

Trending

Trending