The Student Room Group

Student Finance payment dates AFTER my rent is due (UNITE)

Hi, I apologize if this has been posted before, but I'll be going into my second year this coming September, and have decided to stay with UNITE Students rather than seek private housing. However, the issue I've encountered is that some of my rent payment dates are before (almost up to 2 weeks in one case) I receive my loans, meaning I won't be able to pay some of the rent instalments on time. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of how they dealt with this, and whether or not UNITE are quite lenient in this respect.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there,

I stayed with Unite in my first year (this year). I can safely say they are not lenient what so ever. The first payment was supposed to be £600, however, due to private circumstances I tried to leave them and they took £1600 out of my account for Semester 1. After the battle I only got £400 compensation. It's okay though because they got the biggest complaint ever!!

I'm assuming you are studying at Sheffield Hallam. They can offer short term loans with interest included. They may be able to help

GOOD LUCK!!

Lewis xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Some student halls will compromise and others won't. Talk to someone and ask if you can sort out an alternative payment schedule, e.g. paying one month when the rent is due so you stay ahead of it but then paying the rest when your loan comes in. To be honest, they're not going to kick you out over your rent being two weeks late so if you can sort it so it doesn't come out automatically you can probably just pay it late (although this won't help for your first installment as that will have to be done before you move in).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending