The Student Room Group

volunteering with nhs

hi I am currently working at a hospital being a patient befriender(ward volunteer) and I got to do at least six months of commitment and there is another hospital that also has patient befriending should I volunteer at both hospitals or just stick to the one im doing now?
I am hoping to either get a job as a nursing healthcare assistant or gain experience to do an nursing degree.
Original post by glamourprincess
hi I am currently working at a hospital being a patient befriender(ward volunteer) and I got to do at least six months of commitment and there is another hospital that also has patient befriending should I volunteer at both hospitals or just stick to the one im doing now?
I am hoping to either get a job as a nursing healthcare assistant or gain experience to do an nursing degree.

Do you need or have the time to volunteer at this other hospital? Also, if you're just doing this volunteering in advance to gain experience why not do the 6 months with the hospital you're at now and then apply to the other hospital once your 6 months are over. By doing this you get experience from 2 hospitals and show a commitment to the field without needing to over burden yourself if you're still studying (if you're still studying that is, haha)

Sorry I'm not answering your question but asking you a couple. Do you know how old you have to be to do voluntary work at a hospital? What age did you start?
Original post by MainlyMathsHelp
Sorry I'm not answering your question but asking you a couple. Do you know how old you have to be to do voluntary work at a hospital? What age did you start?

You have to be over 17 and i started at 20
Original post by Random.guy
Do you need or have the time to volunteer at this other hospital? Also, if you're just doing this volunteering in advance to gain experience why not do the 6 months with the hospital you're at now and then apply to the other hospital once your 6 months are over. By doing this you get experience from 2 hospitals and show a commitment to the field without needing to over burden yourself if you're still studying (if you're still studying that is, haha)

Hi thanks for your reply i currently volunteer at the hospital and volunteer at a care home so maybe when i finish both i could volunteer at another hospital
Hi thanks for your reply i currently volunteer at the hospital and volunteer at a care home so maybe when i finish both i could volunteer at another hospital

And yeah im still studying
And yeah im still studying

Yeah, sounds like you have a fair bit on your plate already. I think it's probably best to finish what you're doing right now since you're already volunteering in two places and studying. You wouldn't want it to affect your grades and that be the one reason you didn't get into nursing at university, unless you are going the long way and working your way up slowly through the system? But anyway good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by Random.guy
Yeah, sounds like you have a fair bit on your plate already. I think it's probably best to finish what you're doing right now since you're already volunteering in two places and studying. You wouldn't want it to affect your grades and that be the one reason you didn't get into nursing at university, unless you are going the long way and working your way up slowly through the system? But anyway good luck with everything :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending