The Student Room Group

How do some people manage to always make the right decisions ?

You know those people who just have everything in life going smoothly every decision perfectly chosen no troubles.
I always make the worst decisions.

How do you get the " smooth life" ?
If you come from a successful, wealthy family you would have lots of consultants around you - in your family and your social circles, you get the best of advice and indeed help for free.

Otherwise, trial and error. Also, doing a lot of research helps.
Some people are lucky or as pointed to above in a position where opportunities come their way.
Some people put a good deal of thought into making decisions.
Attitude and mind set.

When making those horrible decisions, what do you take from it? Do you obsess over it being a bad experience or do you analyse it, find a positive (even if it's only that you know you won't do it again), and learn?

Nobody has a smooth ride, but some people are more forward thinking and better at adapting in tough situations. Nobody makes good decisions all the time, but the people who seem successful are the ones that get over failure quickly and devise a new, better plan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I didn't know there were people who have such smooth lives.

Disappointing:frown:
Original post by moggis
I didn't know there were people who have such smooth lives.

Disappointing:frown:

Yes, the higher strata of the bourgeoisie enjoys a relatively smooth life since 1750s. I'm not even talking about upper class people.
Selection bias. Like that scam where you pick hundreds of random people and tell them you have a system for betting on the outcome of horses, eventually you end up with a small number of people who think you're a genius and are willing to hand over thousands of pounds of their own money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Melancholic Mill
Yes, the higher strata of the bourgeoisie enjoys a relatively smooth life since 1750s. I'm not even talking about upper class people.

Oh well I not too bothered about people who lived a long time ago because I think a poor person today is better off than a rich person then.

But I'm still a bit shocked that some people of today have very smooth lives. I thought everyone had problems and made mistakes.

Obviously if that's not true then that means that 'overnight ' it turns out my life is much worse than I'd thought relatively speaking :frown:
Original post by im.a.witch
You know those people who just have everything in life going smoothly every decision perfectly chosen no troubles.
I always make the worst decisions.

How do you get the " smooth life" ?

It is pretty simple. Make bold decisions and go all in. But make those decisions knowing that if plan A doesn't work out, you can make some more decisions. I think people come unstuck when they stop making decisions. Suddenly the sea of life takes over and you are at the mercy of whatever is thrown at you.
Reply 9
You define what you perceive as a smooth life therefore you can turn 'wrong' choices into positive ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis
Oh well I not too bothered about people who lived a long time ago because I think a poor person today is better off than a rich person then.

Sir, I think you need a serious reality check. How is a poor person today better off than rich person then? The bourgeoisie - proletariat, middle class - working class division remains relevant up to today in 2016. If you have a wealthy middle class status then you have far more opportunities than the working class people, substantially less problems and indeed live a happier life.
Reply 11
Original post by Melancholic Mill
Sir, I think you need a serious reality check. How is a poor person today better off than rich person then? The bourgeoisie - proletariat, middle class - working class division remains relevant up to today in 2016. If you have a wealthy middle class status then you have far more opportunities than the working class people, substantially less problems and indeed live a happier life.

A poor person living in Britain today is better off than the average rich person living 200 years ago.

I'm just repeating that in case you misconstrued ?
I'm personally a rather indecisive person, or more accurately, someone that takes their time to made decisions. I always take as much time as possible to make decisions, right up to the day before a deadline etc.
That way by the time I really need to decide I know that I've put as much thought as I could into things and that I couldn't have done anymore.

My advice to you is that before making a decision, write on a piece of paper the pros and cons and try to see which one is better. Talk to as many people as possible about your options to get a variety of perspectives, do your research, read reviews of people that were in your position and generally make sure you know everything to help you make an informed decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe it's just straight Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well for me it's been luck and where I've made (many, many) bad choices I've been lucky to have the right people around me and my parents have always been there to clean up the mess like when I got kicked out of school for many bad choices they got me back in a few months after
There is no such thing as 'the right decision' in life. You do what you like because that's what you want. For example, when people get into the acting industry, there is no gurantee that they will definitely become famous and win an oscar. If you like what you do, it is right. There are too many things you can choose to do in life and you never know what will happen unless you try. Its not possible to predict the future, although i tried to do that as well. You never know what will happen, so just go with your heart.
The OP may have a better idea of what the 'smooth life' is.

I'm not sure that, even it exists, I would want it.

One of the truths I try to live by daily is that unfairness, injustice and hassles have always been part of life and always will be; and there's no reason why they shouldn't be.

It doesn't, necessarily, follow that one must be a cynic or stoic, admirable as those creeds may be.
Most people don't, some are just lucky.

Chances are the people who you think of as having a "smooth" life probably had a lot of bumps in the road and struggled at times and made bad choices. But people don't tend to air their dirty laundry or show off their bad choices, only their good ones. It's one of the biggest reasons you shouldn't use something like Facebook for example to compare you life to others, only the good (for the most part) is shown, it's not an accurate representation.

Look less at how others are living and focus on yourself rather than comparing yourself to others. If you are making bad decision only you have the power to change that. Being jealous of people who seem to have a smooth life won't get you anywhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would imagine those people that always make the "right" decisions are also the people that only show their accomplishments.

Behind the scenes, many mistakes are made.
I honestly don't think some people live smooth lives. Everybody makes mistakes, it may not be visible but everybody makes mistakes. making sound decisions comes from wisdom garnered through the years, getting insights from experts and generally taking risks. But, even that is not guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed in life until it provides results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending