The Student Room Group

Law Training Contract

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2:2 at the end of second year and this would easily become a 2:1 at the end of third year. I was wondering when you are supposed to apply for training contracts as most of the deadlines appear to be this summer but I was told you can apply anytime during third year. Also what are the chances of me getting a TC with these grades. Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I was also wondering when to apply for training contracts, I just spoke to a friend whos already applied for 10 contracts to begin in 2018! Meanwhile, I haven't even looked at any.

So now I'm a bit worried in terms of whether I've left it too late.

Have you applied to any yet?
Reply 2
It depends on the kind of firm you're looking at. Most of the larger city firms recruit 2 years in advance meaning you can apply from you penultimate year if you're a law student, final year of you're non-law. A lot of these deadlines have now passed, but it's worth checking on sites like law careers to see which firms applications are still open or might have been extended.

For some smaller firms, the deadlines can differ massively. For example, Leigh Day's application for a 2017 TC didn't close until March of this year. Keep an eye on sites like law careers and all about law, as well as the websites of the firms you are interested in. It can be useful to follow these accounts on twitter because they regularly post about deadlines etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
In your 2nd year. Check the law firms web site for exact dates. It would be for at least 2 years in advance becayse you have a min of 2 years to go.
In addition to the main recruitment drive, then a lof of large firms recruit all year round and small firms might recruit less far in advance.
Of I were in your position OP then I would wait until I had the 2:1 and bolster your cv in other ways.
There are firms open until 11:59 for apps this recruitment round
Reply 5
I'll be going into my final year this September and haven't applied for any training contracts simply because I am thinking about leaving the legal field, and doing a PGCE in primary teaching.

Most of my friends haven't applied for any yet, just that one i spoke to that applied for 10 in 2 weeks
Original post by fkx
I'll be going into my final year this September and haven't applied for any training contracts simply because I am thinking about leaving the legal field, and doing a PGCE in primary teaching.

Most of my friends haven't applied for any yet, just that one i spoke to that applied for 10 in 2 weeks

Then unless things have changd they are bejind schedule. The majority or at least a large % of training contracts for law grads are given out at the end of the second year. Non law grads apply at the end of their 3rd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending