The Student Room Group

Do I go onto stay at sixth form or start an apprenticeship?

I'm not sure what would be best but I am thinking more towards leaving school and not going to sixth form and starting an apprenticeship. I would like to be a travel agent and I have looked into the paths I can take to try and pursue this.
If I stayed at sixth form, I can possibly study for an A level that is reasonably business related or quite related to an office setting where I would be offering customer service and using IT systems.
I would like some advice on which would be better and more beneficial, hopefully getting me to where I would like to be.
Original post by rubylikesmemes
I'm not sure what would be best but I am thinking more towards leaving school and not going to sixth form and starting an apprenticeship. I would like to be a travel agent and I have looked into the paths I can take to try and pursue this.
If I stayed at sixth form, I can possibly study for an A level that is reasonably business related or quite related to an office setting where I would be offering customer service and using IT systems.
I would like some advice on which would be better and more beneficial, hopefully getting me to where I would like to be.

Well first of all, it's great that you have an idea on what career you'd like to go into in the near future.

I think the decision is up to you. I would possibly find a sixth form or a college that does AS qualifications (rather than A-level which is where you study for the two years, then take all your exams) and pick Geography, IT and Business just so it's more relatable to being a travel agent. And if you do get good grades in these AS, then carry them forward to A-level and see what happens then (how old will you be as apprenticeships are extremely harder to get into once you're over the age of 18). Find out in your local area or town/city if they are big on apprenticeships in the travel and tourism industry. If not, then your best best is A-levels or;

Doing a BTEC Level 3 in Travel and Tourism. Which is all about learning how to promote good business like theme parks, hotels. How to create a perfect itinerary for a customer. Learning about the history public transports like trains, airplanes and buses. Researching places in the UK that is natural beauty and stuff. Well in all fairness, this is all what I did but at Level 2. I guess it would be the same as Level 3 but more intense and different/more topics.

With their qualifications such as the BTEC Level 3 or the A-levels you can go onto uni and do similar courses like travel and tourism or business management or something like that.

However, I would perhaps do a mix; BTEC Level 3 Travel and Tourism with ICT and Geography just cause Geography is a facilitating subject and some unis class it as a science which shows you to be a well-rounded student.

But I think you will have to consider going to uni though. I don't think it's easy going into the T&T industry. Plus, can you REALLY see yourself being a travel agent for 50+ years? I think with the combination of the Alevels and BTEC, plus a uni degree in International Tourism Management or something like that. With this, you can do all sorts; you could work in an Airport, you could be a Flight Attendant, Travel Agent, Tour Guide in different countries (maybe if you're good at a language pick one for A-level?), etc. There's a lot more options for you if you did a pick of A-levels then went onto uni to study Tourism.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest