The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Craghyrax
Fun is relative. One can only assume that you're trying to provoke people if you go to a forum filled with people who find academia 'fun' and make such a comment.

Or perhaps just expressing their opinion? Not everyone cares enough what other people think about them to hang about online provoking them.

Academia/learning/studying, whatever you want to call it is fun in itself but I think uni saps a lot of that joy when every year of it is capped off by a week of torture at a tiny desk trying to prove you're not stupid. It stops mattering how much 'fun' you had when it gets to that point and that's the part of uni that ****ing sucks.

And yes 'fun' is relative, some people find masturbating furiously over their text books fun, some people like to go out with friends and get utterly wasted and have some kind of drunken adventure. I know which I'd rather do if I had the luxury to forego a degree.
Keep on topic guys rather than bitching please :smile:
Reply 342
Somehow, that make me feel like quoting Holy Grail... But, we aren't living in the middle ages anymore and there is no black knight running arround without limbs.
Clubber Lang
Than you would have assumed wrong.

While there maybe some people who love their subject the vast majority I have come across on here and IRL study because they 'have to'.

And while some people may really enjoy subjects liek Law, I haven't really met anyone who enjoys reading loads of books for case research etc.

Comparing writing essays and doing research in a University setting to doing research/learning at your own leisure - well I'd say which one was more fun would be a no brainer for most people.

Anyhow, I very much doubt people here define academic 'fun' the same way they would watching a film /playingsports/ reading a book for leisure.

Sorry. I was a bit short. I still disagree, but shan't discuss it further.
Reply 344
Camford
Somehow, that make me feel like quoting Holy Grail... But, we aren't living in the middle ages anymore and there is no black knight running arround without limbs.

That glue I sniffed is still working then.
"HARRY POTTER AND THE HIDDEN PENIS"

Or

"HARRY POTTER WITCH PACKS MAGICAL WAND"

?

Come on! The Sun will have a field day with that story.

haha thats the funniest thing ive read in a while! youre getting bumped right to the front of my rep list :biggrin:

oh and Tony Blairs son might not have gone to Oxford...but he did get into Yale...i wonder which alumni he had his interview with...maybe Mr Bush when he came over to visit his buddy in London ? :wink:
Reply 346
puppy
Yeah, Lily Cole already has a place at Cambridge, I'd argue she's more famous (I actually know her name rather than 'that one who played Hermione'). And there are much richer people there already who you could argue are more worthwhile the uni bending its admissions policy for. So it's not much of a big deal. Why the hell she'd want to go to uni when she's made so much money I have no idea, but it's her life.

Believe it not, some people go to university because they are clever, not just to get money. Good on Lily Cole for making it difficult for pea-brained people (including probably some at Cambridge I am sad to think) who think that models must all be beauty at the expense of brains.
Reply 347
It has already been remarked earlier in this thread that Lily Cole decided _not_ to attend Cambridge.
Certainly, it has nothing to do with money... :wink:
Reply 348
Picnico
Believe it not, some people go to university because they are clever, not just to get money. Good on Lily Cole for making it difficult for pea-brained people (including probably some at Cambridge I am sad to think) who think that models must all be beauty at the expense of brains.

Yes I realise that since I'm one of those people. If I'd gone there for money I probably wouldn't have read Classics from scratch. If I'd been loaded and not needed a degree (or it wasn't the cheapest way for me to learn) then I probably wouldn't have gone.
Reply 349
~Linh~
pssht who cares about Emma Watson.. harry potter is weak

every straight guy, and ron weasley.
seanw
every straight guy, and ron weasley.

Just hada look at your sig. Did you apply to Cambridge because of Emma? :p:
shinyhappy
Ooh good, that means we won't have her. I've seen her round Oxford sometimes, she acts like a right stroppy little sod - and doesn't seem to like having to queue.
I realise that was completely inconsequential to the topic of this thread, but I just thought I'd add my (clearly highly useful) point!

No, I'm glad you said it. All my friends who were on the Cambridge open Day the same day as her got the same vibe from her too.
Ooh which day did she go on?
To clear up some stuff earlier on, Emma is taking A-levels in History of Art, Geography and English Literature.

Prob. been said, but oh well.
So is Hermione (Emma Watson) actually applying for entry in 2008/9 or did she apply for 2007 entry and got in, so is starting this year?
Reply 355
Elements
So is Hermione (Emma Watson) actually applying for entry in 2008/9 or did she apply for 2007 entry and got in, so is starting this year?

She's only just started her A2 year so I presume she's applying this year for 2008 (or deferred 2009 entry). The fact she's been attending open days this year would tend to back that up. That said, some celebrities have been endlessly deferring their place (Lily Cole has deferred about 3 times) so who knows when she's actually turn up even if she did get in.
She's only just started her A2 year so I presume she's applying this year for 2008 (or deferred 2009 entry). The fact she's been attending open days this year would tend to back that up. That said, some celebrities have been endlessly deferring their place (Lily Cole has deferred about 3 times) so who knows when she's actually turn up even if she did get in.

Thanks. Yeah, when is Lily Cole actually starting Cambridge? Because first I read that it was this year, then I read that it was for 2008 entry, but somewhere else I read that it was for 2009 entry?:confused: Do you know? Is that what you've heard/read too?
What College open day did she attend?
Elements
Thanks. Yeah, when is Lily Cole actually starting Cambridge? Because first I read that it was this year, then I read that it was for 2008 entry, but somewhere else I read that it was for 2009 entry?:confused: Do you know? Is that what you've heard/read too?

Varsity (free newspaper) today states that she's defered another year and is now due to start in '08, I think.
Wiki agrees with that!

Latest

Trending

Trending