The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

freshfood
she'll get in. i took divination. end of story.

:rofl:
Do people with A-Level offers get in often if they miss grades?
shady lane

Quite a lot. Oxbridge don't make too many offers, like most Unies would.. so they're inclined to take someone who missed by a couple of marks, often.
Reply 163
shady lane

Depends - how over-offered the course was (open offers are more common these days but still more a science thing), how many students declined, how many missed the offer - by how far/whether there were exenuating circumstances, how impressive the specific applicant was in the other assessments (UCAS form, UMS, AEAs, aptitude tests, interviews)...

It definitely happens. If they were desperate to accept him they could have regardless of having made the grades or not.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I thought if you missed your offer you'd be off to your insurance for sure.
I definitley agree with the person who said that even if Euan did miss his grades and they take people on who did miss them - the risk of taking him would have been huge (i.e media on their back - esp when so many people get the gardes these days).
Reply 166
My Politics teacher marked one of Euan's History papers, and said from what he remembered it was very good. I feel sorry for him; missing the offer must have been terrible, especially as he is the in the public eye. Not that things have gone too badly since - I'd love a generous scholarship to study International Relations at Yale!
Clubber Lang
I definitley agree with the person who said that even if Euan did miss his grades and they take people on who did miss them - the risk of taking him would have been huge (i.e media on their back - esp when so many people get the gardes these days).

So his being famous was one of the causes of his rejection, so....Oxford discriminates against famous people now? :p:
Reply 168
shady lane
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I thought if you missed your offer you'd be off to your insurance for sure.

It's relative obviously. I mean if you get, say a B in Physics wanting to do Engineering, then say good bye to your chances, unless it is by something stupid like 1 mark, in which case you might still have a chance. The third A level is the one where you have a chance. Or 4th in my case :rolleyes:
Ozymandias
So his being famous was one of the causes of his rejection, so....Oxford discriminates against famous people now? :p:

Its all about da reputation - they gotta protect it you know :wink:

Just to clairfy my situation! Person A is famous and person B is not. Based on my theory that a Uni woudl take a famous person over a non famous to 'enhance their reputation'.

Person A meets all 3 grades to get in. Person B also meets the grades but has better extras stuff that in a normal situation will see them get in. In this case, the famous person A gets in because its better for said University, and lets face it, who really cares about non-famous person B?

Scenario 2.

Person A is offered a palce for 3 A grades. Doesn't make those 3 grades. I'd suggest that the Uni rejects them ebcause then it will look BAD for their reputation - i.e they only took them because they were famous.

In scenario 1 it could be very hard for an external person to prove famosu person A was elss worthy than non-famous person B as its absed on thigns other than grades (extra curiculars i presume).

Tough job being a famous person nowadays :biggrin:
Reply 170
shady lane
ChemistBoy made a comment that US universities advertise the fact that if you give money, you'll get in. Patently false.

I do not believe it offers support to a comment that strong, but:
The Stanford Daily
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal published on April 13, 2003, former [Stanford University] Dean of Admissions Robin Mamlet said, “I will certainly factor in a history of very significant giving to Stanford.” Each year, the Office of Development sends the admissions office a list of students whose families have been major donors.

The Stanford Daily Article
Is it true Lily Cole takes up her place in Cambridge this september?
Reply 172
Who's Lily Cole?
Lusus Naturae
I do not believe it offers support to a comment that strong, but:

The Stanford Daily Article

Yeah...former. She sucked big time and the new guy is awesome.

EDIT: But like I said, if your last name matches the name of the new chemistry lab, the need-blind thing isn't going to work. But those people are extremely rare; that's something worth remembering. Like I said in another thread, there are very few people who can give enough money to a top university that would convince them to take an unqualified student. Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge, etc. all have enough fabulously wealthy alumni not to worry about such things. But if they are qualified...well, it makes sense, doesn't it?
are you ****ting me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Cole

googleimage her too, then tell me you've never heard of her
Clubber Lang

Just to clairfy my situation! Person A is famous and person B is not. Based on my theory that a Uni woudl take a famous person over a non famous to 'enhance their reputation'.

Person A meets all 3 grades to get in. Person B also meets the grades but has better extras stuff that in a normal situation will see them get in. In this case, the famous person A gets in because its better for said University, and lets face it, who really cares about non-famous person B?

Scenario 2.

Person A is offered a palce for 3 A grades. Doesn't make those 3 grades. I'd suggest that the Uni rejects them ebcause then it will look BAD for their reputation - i.e they only took them because they were famous.

In scenario 1 it could be very hard for an external person to prove famosu person A was elss worthy than non-famous person B as its absed on thigns other than grades (extra curiculars i presume).

Surely fame due to acting/singing/modelling is quite a significant extracurricular activity...
think i've answered my own question now, apparently she's defered to '08
Reply 177
Clubber Lang

Scenario 2.

You miss some fundamental aspects here. Firstly extracurriculars aren't that important. They want the best students academically.

Secondly you misunderstand the nature of the applications system. It is colleges and more specifically tutors who interview and allow you in. A director of studies won't want the best students. There are intercollege tables marking progress, lots of work for director of studies if students don't do so well. The University can't force colleges to take students that apply. If the tutors don't think she is worth taking then they won't.
WorkHouse
are you ****ting me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Cole

googleimage her too, then tell me you've never heard of her

its not like she is a superstar..... emma watson is probably 1000x as famous
shady lane
Surely fame due to acting/singing/modelling is quite a significant extracurricular activity...

I spose... it would make a good case for her if she was applying to an acting/singing/modelling based course like drama or something.

Latest

Trending

Trending