The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thegman!
My Dad has no formal qualifications what so ever and he earns over £40,000 a year.

That's it? Is that your highest goal? In a lot of industries you can earn that with a few years of hard work and some qualifications behind you.

Do your A-levels, that way if you change your mind in the future you have something to fall back on.
Reply 41
BlackHawk
That's it? Is that your highest goal? In a lot of industries you can earn that with a few years of hard work and some qualifications behind you.

Do your A-levels, that way if you change your mind in the future you have something to fall back on.

I would agree with this. I am sure that if you want to get into this industry after A-Levels you will be able to. Plus if you want to reach the high positions in BMW I am sure at least A Levels and probably a degree are very much a requirement
Reply 42
acolyte
That is probably adequate for a teenager.
However, if you only earn that as an adult, you are a complete loser.

You are so out of touch with the real world. The majority of people don't earn £30k.
Reply 43
I think you need to realise that 40k is different to someone from where I am from to someone who is brought up in a wealthy family and have most likely been spoiled and all they no is what it is like to be wealthy so just see good people who earning 30k as 'losers' when 30k is not even bad. What is that 17 year old doing to earn that sort of money? The only way that seems possible is if hes doing some illegal stuff if you know what I mean:p: .
It's nothing to do with coming from a wealthy family and being spoiled. That doesn't help you get a job. My employers couldn't care less what my parents earn. Point is you can achieve £40k with some good qualifications and a few years of hard work.
Reply 45
thegman!
What is that 17 year old doing to earn that sort of money? The only way that seems possible is if hes doing some illegal stuff if you know what I mean:p: .

Summer internship @ financial services company. Initial pay was to be £21k pro-rata but he impressed immensely at interview and got bumped up to £52k. Nothing illegal about it. Just goes to show if you have ambition and determination you can achieve good things... this guy is earning more then either of his parents.
OP have you even asked BMW whether a job would be waiting for you after your A levels.

Frankly i don't see how and why a 16 year old with GCSEs will be more employable than an 18 year old with all available secondary school qualifications.

Sigh...in a few years ppl probs will not even have this choice.
Reply 47
thegman!
My Dad has no formal qualifications what so ever and he earns over £40000 a year.

My dad earns around £50,000 a year and only got 1 GCSE, but that doesn't mean to say he is happy in his job or that having no qualifications is right for the OP.

My cousin was bright but decided he didn't want to go to uni and fancied earning some money. He became an apprentice as a car mechanic and loves his job and now earns lots of money. There isn't any right or way, you just have to guess what you think you will enjoy the most and go with it hoping for the best!
Reply 48
Half the people replying to this thread haven't even started at university yet, never mind been through it and come out the other side, hence there's a lot of crap being put about. 40K starting graduate salary for instance.

If you find something that you want to do now, do it. BMW are hardly a fly-by-night outfit and if, at a later date you do decide to go to university, you will almost certainly be at an advantage compared to your academically trained peers.
Reply 49
I have never said that being rich makes it easier to a get a job but knowing what it is like to be rich gives you motivation to make sure you are also rich and its all you know and your only option. There are plenty other ways of making money than spending thousands and thousands on going to university when you could end up not even getting a job you want. I no so many people who have gone to university and only one has a graduate job and they are all around 23 to 24. So 8 years earning while they are learning is not a bad option when you get to learn as well and have a chance of A levels and even a degree that can be sponsored by the company. Not only is it 8 years money but it is 8 years extra experience which I believe from what I have heared from many sources and on many job profiles as more important than qualifications.
Reply 50
Mikesev
Half the people replying to this thread haven't even started at university yet, never mind been through it and come out the other side, hence there's a lot of crap being put about. 40K starting graduate salary for instance.

If you find something that you want to do now, do it. BMW are hardly a fly-by-night outfit and if, at a later date you do decide to go to university, you will almost certainly be at an advantage compared to your academically trained peers.

I dont think anyone here said that any graduate would start on 40K because they wont apart from maybe in IB. What was said is that if you go into a top graduate job e.g Big 4 then you wil lbe on about 40K after around 3 years.

Also to the person that said its only people from wealthy familys that would think 30K is not alot because there spoilt, thats just not true, its about your ambition and determination
Reply 51
People from wealthy families will not see 30k as a lot of money in comparison to someon brought up in poverty who would see that as a very large amount of money. Its all about opinion and opinions are formed partly from your up bringing.
Reply 52
not true. people who's parents are on £30k don't think their parents are losers but know themselves that if they were only on this amount in their late 40s they would be very annoyed... they aim much higher, its not necessarily anything to do with upbringing/background.
Reply 53
thegman!
I think you need to realise that 40k is different to someone from where I am from to someone who is brought up in a wealthy family and have most likely been spoiled and all they no is what it is like to be wealthy so just see good people who earning 30k as 'losers' when 30k is not even bad. What is that 17 year old doing to earn that sort of money? The only way that seems possible is if hes doing some illegal stuff if you know what I mean:p: .

The "losers" comment was just ridiculous. That person is branding the amjority of the cuntry as losers.

BlackHawk
It's nothing to do with coming from a wealthy family and being spoiled. That doesn't help you get a job. My employers couldn't care less what my parents earn. Point is you can achieve £40k with some good qualifications and a few years of hard work.

It is - people from wealth families (especially those who are still students) don't fully understand the value of money.

£30k is a lot of money. After tax/NI, you've got £1835 a month coming in. Even if you've got a £700 a month mortgage, after paying your bills you'd have ample disposable income.
Reply 54
RJ89
The "losers" comment was just ridiculous. That person is branding the amjority of the cuntry as losers.

It is - people from wealth families (especially those who are still students) don't fully understand the value of money.

£30k is a lot of money. After tax/NI, you've got £1835 a month coming in. Even if you've got a £700 a month mortgage, after paying your bills you'd have ample disposable income.

Sorry but 30K really is not a lot of money! With property prices you would be lucky to buy a nice terrace and drive an M reg Mondeo. The point is that 30K really is very very average at least in my eyes. Its all down to what peoples own perceptions are. Some people would see a nice terrace and an M reg Mondeo as success, I wouldnt.
RJ89

That statement is rather ironic considering you actually think 30K is A LOT of money.
Reply 56
simon123

Sorry but 30K really is not a lot of money! With property prices you would be lucky to buy a nice terrace and drive an M reg Mondeo. The point is that 30K really is very very average at least in my eyes. Its all down to what peoples own perceptions are. Some people would see a nice terrace and an M reg Mondeo as success, I wouldnt.

My Dad earns £35k including pension, and my stepmum about £18k. We live in a semi-detached house in a fairly nice area, my Dad drives a 2 year old S-class, my stepmum a new Xsara. We feed 7 (Dad, stepmum, sister, stebrother x 2 and stepsister) near enough every night.

Even after all bills are paid, there is a lot of disposable income.
Reply 57
Dark and Lovely
That statement is rather ironic considering you actually think 30K is A LOT of money.

No it's not, it's part of my point.
RJ89
No it's not, it's part of my point.

It really is, you're suggesting that the rich don't know the value of money yet you don't know the value of 30K in todays world.
Why is everyone talking about A-Levels? Do a BTEC or some other more vocational diploma. My ex did a BTEC thinking it would be his endpoint, but now he's doing a BSc at Newcastle. He did it part time while working as well. That should be your plan.

Latest

Trending

Trending