The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Results

Maths (Edexcel): Predicted A / Achieved C :frown: (33 UMS in D1 so retaking - Just need 72 UMS for A (201 right now)

Physics (OCR A): Predicted E >:frown:/ Achieved B :biggrin: (Best grade I got)

Computer Science (OCR): Predicted B / Achieved B

Electronics (A2, OCR): Predicted B / Achieved B (459UMS, Thinking of retaking F613 and F614)

Comments and reactions
I didn't finish all questions in D1, so this is probably why. I wanted AABB minimum (as this would allow me to apply for unis like Loughborough and Surrey quite comfortably.) However, since my predictions probably won't be more than BBBB, I am at a wall right now (In terms of the unis I can apply to.)
Also, my parents are gonna be scrutinising my every movements from this day forward (especially on the computer + phone since I'm a known procrastinator and my mum thinks I spend too much time on YouTube), since I'm a failiure in their eyes, even though I know I'm not, but they will beat me down and I fear this will make it harder to learn, as they fill my mind with fixed, garbage thoughts that I don't want or need right now.
Future ambitions
I would like to apply for Electronic engineering, but the C in maths (which is trivial to improve) will seriously hurt my uni chances. I may have to reapply in a gap year when my grades improve, but I don't know what to do on UCAS. *sigh*
Original post by naomi288
A*AB in Economics, Biology and Maths respectively
You cannot obtain an A* at AS level. So you are either lying, or you haven't realised that this thread is for AS.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WilliamO7
Results

Maths (Edexcel): Predicted A / Achieved C :frown: (33 UMS in D1 so retaking - Just need 72 UMS for A (201 right now)

Physics (OCR A): Predicted E >:frown:/ Achieved B :biggrin: (Best grade I got)

Computer Science (OCR): Predicted B / Achieved B

Electronics (A2, OCR): Predicted B / Achieved B (459UMS, Thinking of retaking F613 and F614)

Comments and reactions
I didn't finish all questions in D1, so this is probably why. I wanted AABB minimum (as this would allow me to apply for unis like Loughborough and Surrey quite comfortably.) However, since my predictions probably won't be more than BBBB, I am at a wall right now (In terms of the unis I can apply to.)
Also, my parents are gonna be scrutinising my every movements from this day forward (especially on the computer + phone since I'm a known procrastinator and my mum thinks I spend too much time on YouTube), since I'm a failiure in their eyes, even though I know I'm not, but they will beat me down and I fear this will make it harder to learn, as they fill my mind with fixed, garbage thoughts that I don't want or need right now.
Future ambitions
I would like to apply for Electronic engineering, but the C in maths (which is trivial to improve) will seriously hurt my uni chances. I may have to reapply in a gap year when my grades improve, but I don't know what to do on UCAS. *sigh*
A reminder that this is an AS thread so your electronics doesn't count here. I know a lot of people had that problem with D1 (I started at the back).
Original post by 04MR17
A reminder that this is an AS thread so your electronics doesn't count here. I know a lot of people had that problem with D1 (I started at the back).

Yeah, I started from the algorithm question, and then went to the critical path analysis one, and only had 10 mins to do the rest, so I messed up pretty badly.

AS electronics got a B last year, so I'm thinking of retaking the coursework (got 53/80 UMS I believe.)
Results

Subject: Maths Predicted A / Achieved A

Subject: Sociology Predicted E / Achieved C

Comments and reactions
I was very unhappy with the UMS marks I got in Maths :c89 for c1, I blame the migraine I had at the begging of the exam as I could have gotten 100.91 for c2, I don't know why but I became extremely anxious about half way through and rushed which lead to misreading 2 questions completely.
89 for M1, I got all of the final answers correct so my working was not up to standard.
I did worse in the real exam than literally every single one of my practice papers.

I was very happy for sociology as I didn't go to any lessons for the past 3 months as I dropped it.

Future ambitions
Computer Science at University of Sheffield (or oxford if I am super duper lucky, no harm trying)
AAAA in Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio.

Will Imperial consider baring in mind I only have 1 A* at GCSE, and also, how can I find out my science UMS scores???
Chemical engineering btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by espicton98
Results
EPQ: A* (predicted A)
Sociology:A (predicted B)
Politics: C (predicted D)

Comments
I wasn't entered for AS exams in History or English (my two strongest) absolutely ecstatic with my results, I'm dropping politics but was a complete miracle to pass as there has been many teaching issues with it this year

Future Ambitions
English literature at Cambridge :h:

What did you do your EPQ about and was it hard work? Thinking about doing one next year in year 13 to get me more tariff points but not sure if ill be able to cope. I've heard its hard work!
I know I'm a bit late but this is how I did

Results:
Edexcel Maths: A (C1:100 C2:97 S1:89)
Edexcel Further Maths: A (FP1:99 S2:98 D1:84)
Edexcel Economics: A (122 overall)
AQA Physics: A (Dunno marks new spec)

Comments
Quite surprised really cos I was preparing for AABB. Wish D1 UMS was slightly higher but definitely not retaking (I hated D1 lol). Very happy with S2 UMS because it means I only have to average 90 UMS in 2 Further Maths modules next year to get an A* :biggrin:

Future Ambitions
Maths and Econ at any top uni
Results
History: Predicted A / Achieved A
Sociology: Predicted B / Achieved A
Economics: Predicted C / Achieved A
Psychology: Predicted B / Achieved B

Comments and Reactions
I honestly did not expect these results in a million years!! This was my second attempt at AS Levels after going to the wrong sixth form and choosing wrong subjects last year... I got BDEU last year!
Economics was my worst subject and I'd never gotten above a C in any test, when I saw that I somehow managed an A with the exam going so badly and the amount of waffle I wrote, I was so so shocked. I was adamant I'd got a D, my teachers knew how much I hated it and I doubt they even thought I could do it!!! (I'm definitely getting the papers back to see what miracle happened!:biggrin:)
I revised the most for psychology, so I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get an A, however, a B is brilliant and I just need to work harder on it next year!!
History and Sociology I'm over the moon about, they are definitely my strongest subjects and I couldn't be happier with what I got!

Future Ambitions
Modern History or History at Politics at Uni!
Original post by BluntBluster
AAAA in Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio.

Will Imperial consider baring in mind I only have 1 A* at GCSE, and also, how can I find out my science UMS scores???
Chemical engineering btw

I have a friend who got an offer from imperial with worse gcses. A level seems to be the pivotal qualifications.
Results/:

B: English Lit (Edexcel new spec/predicted A)
B: Gov & Politics (OCR/predicted A)
A: Classics (OCR/predicted A)
B: RS (OCR/predicted B)

Comments/:
Was initially disappointed too see ABBB as I was hoping for AAAB/AABB but they could have gone a lot worse!!

Resitting Unit 1 Politics as I normally perform much better in that module and was only one mark off an A in Unit 2.

I'm also having one of my RS units remarked- I doubt it will make a difference but I thought it was work a shot as I achieved 90 UMS in one unit and 65UMS in the other.

English is linear so the AS results doesn't actually count towards my final grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Results

Subject: Maths Predicted A / Achieved A

Subject: English Language Predicted A / Achieved A

Subject: Philosophy and Ethics Predicted A / Achieved A

Subject: Chinese Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
Pretty happy with my results, especially maths given I got a C in my mechanics mock in February, although I only just scraped the A in Chinese (got 80 UMS) so I think I'm going to drop it as I'm not sure I can pull off an A next year!

Future ambitions
I'd like to study Japanese at Cambridge, hence the need for an A in Chinese (A*AA offer). Just need to get my PS done and practise a bit for admissions assessments!
Original post by 04MR17
Bad luck having to do English Lit, psychology and sociology...

Haha...
Wait, why's that?:mute:
Reply 533
My AS results were such a shock to me, as I will compare with my Jan. Mock results (marked by the school itself)

June 2016:

History: D
Psychology: U
Sociology: E
General Studies: E

For a comparison, my mocks - (five months beforehand - Jan 2016):

History: A
Psychology: E
Sociology: C
General Studies: N/A

I don't know what on earth happened. I put more effort/ revision into my exams in June than my mocks, and I somehow screw up royally?????
Reply 534
Can I just say, I got BCCD at AS in psych, bio, econ and Spanish. Just achieved A*A*A and can now go to any uni I want to. Didn't expect this at all, didn't think it was even possible, however I retook one module from each of my subjects. I know this isn't the current exam system anymore but still, goes to show how much you can turn things around in 1 year!! All I have to say is work like you're an A* student, aim for full marks even if you get Ds all year in mocks, learn from it. Start looking at past papers in December even if you don't understand the content yet.
French: A (Predicted: A)
History: A (Predicted: A)
Maths: A (Predicted: A)
Sociology: A (Predicted: A)

Even in spite of my predictions I didnt think I'd get this - I came out of some of my exams crying out of how tough they were. I'm dropping Sociology for next year and hoping I can keep up this level - definitely looking forward to uni applications now
AS:
Results
Biology: Predicted B / Achieved A
Chemistry: Predicted E / Achieved A
Maths: Predicted C / Achieved A
Politics: Predicted C / Achieved A (dropping this plague of a subject)

Comments and Reactions
ELATED (spelling? idk). My crappy teachers can kiss it tbh i only got these grades because i had to self teach most this year (bar my chem teacher who was just amazing, i just failed my mocks in hence the E prediction :colondollar: ) but hey ho got awesome teachers next year which will help :biggrin:
Future Ambitions
Med school is one step closer, just need to ace that UKCAT now ,easier said than done :'(
Original post by FrenchNerd2
French: A (Predicted: A)
History: A (Predicted: A)
Maths: A (Predicted: A)
Sociology: A (Predicted: A)

Even in spite of my predictions I didnt think I'd get this - I came out of some of my exams crying out of how tough they were. I'm dropping Sociology for next year and hoping I can keep up this level - definitely looking forward to uni applications now

Future ambitions - French and ab initio Portuguese at Cambridge
Original post by andrewmoody98
Am i the only one who didn't do AS exams for subjects that are now two year courses? We just did a mock in school for those subjects

It's not just you I know it's quite common for a lot of schools but some schools felt that having an external body assess you is better because of the lack of bias and give you a "feel" as to what the new exams are like and what could happen next year
Original post by fayeb1999
Got an A in paper 1 67/120
Got an E in paper 2 21/50 but I was one mark off a D.

I asked my geography teacher how the rest of my class did and she said there was a range of results. I overheard one guy say he got a D overall.
I think with geography you've got to not only include generic specific answers, but also wider reading really helps and being able to write consistently.
I have no idea how I got that E in paper 2, but at least we have the option to resit next year :smile:
What other subjects have you got results for?

Hi, I've got a B in Media but I've got marked down by 11 marks in my coursework from 78/80 to 67/80 and my teacher will hopefully appeal to these results as my whole class got marked down in the coursework by at least 7 marks and the most by 20. I could have easily got an A in Media overall but because my coursework was marked down, I got a B.

I got a C for design with a B in coursework and C in the exam. I really don't know how I got a C in the exam as we only had 6 theory lessons in the whole year and everyone in my class got a U in the exam, so I was happy I got a C.

In geography, I was one of the students that done considerably well in Unit 2 and done considerably well in Unit 1 which was a D. I know this isn't right as I was predicted a B and this didn't happen. I have to resit Unit 1 exam next year but hey, maybe I'll do better! I was also happy that I was the only 3 students to even get a grade for geography as everyone got a U across the board of all students who studies Geography AS.

I think my results aren't that great but because we're a brand new school and we're the first to sit AS, only two of my teachers taught ALevel before and knew what they were doing - Media Teacher and my Unit 1 Physical Geography teacher - in who's part I've done above national average apparently and if I've done just as well in the human side, I could have got a high B or a low A altogether so I was really annoyed about this.

The thing is though that since so many students were forced to drop the subject or leave sixth form altogether, in Design for example, we have two teachers and now there is only three of us, in geography we have two teachers and there is only 4 of us and in media we have two teachers and there's now only four of us. Even through most of my class mates and friends left, I think I'm going to get alot more help individually from my teachers!

What subjects do you do? Let me know

Quick Reply

Latest